View Poll Results: What is the hardest fighting estuary fish?

Voters
247. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bream

22 8.91%
  • Cod

13 5.26%
  • Mangrove Jack

162 65.59%
  • Flathead

10 4.05%
  • Bass

13 5.26%
  • Threadfin Salmon

27 10.93%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Hardest fighting estuary fish for there size

Re: Hardest fighting estuary fish for there size

Whiting are good fun to catch but they are not fantastic fighters i dont understand how u think they are.

From the list I would have to say a Bass,i havent caught many big ones,my biggest going 39cm,they hit bloody hard and go hard till they are in the net,have had alot harder fights with them than my biggest jack of 43cm.
    But a couple that arent on the list that would be my hardest would be trev and definatley,giant herring and tarpon for sure.
    If i could get paid the same to fish, sorry boss but i ......!

trevally would be up there, but the jacks are alot dirtier fighters....

They get my vote... Only landed 2 legal's, but lost count on how many have buried me in the snags or rocks

Jpart10- You have to remember that by weight they're much smaller than most other bread and butter species. If you actually caught a whiting of a similar weight to a 30cm bream, I think you'd find it quite a fight. Just look at the body shape, same sort of shape as a bonefish, and look how much fellas pay to target them in the Florida Keys.
    Joel
    Fishing for the thrill, not for the kill

50 cm + jacks have some go in them ,found bream to be weak fighters and only get them as by -catch, bass are ok ,flathead hopeless got em up to 77 cm ,not caught other 2 ,thats my opinion .

I know its not an estuary fish, but Clarry caught a little cobia in the Noosa River once....wow did that thing go off on the bream gear, beating anything else we've ever caught in an estuary!! (not meaning to hijack the thread)...We'd vote for Trevs as a more "standard" estuary species.

when a jack is around the 40- 45cm mark they fight ok but once they reach the 50cm plus mark they pull so much harder for that size then the 40-45cm fish.

Quote Originally Posted by imnotoriginal View Post
    Jpart10- You have to remember that by weight they're much smaller than most other bread and butter species. If you actually caught a whiting of a similar weight to a 30cm bream, I think you'd find it quite a fight. Just look at the body shape, same sort of shape as a bonefish, and look how much fellas pay to target them in the Florida Keys.
    Joel
    I suppose yor right but still If it was a 1kg whiting and a 1kg Jack i think a jack would be harder to get to the boat.

I voted for a Jack but I agree with another poster that the Trevally should be in there; some of these fish will pull your arms every bit as much as a Jack.

That being said, looking forward to seriously targeting some red fish this year
    Regards,

Andrew.
    =============
    W: www.agt.id.au
    M: 0410 834 486

Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Did I happen to mention Jack??????

Quote Originally Posted by sunny View Post
    Not on your list, but pound for pound, whiting gets my vote. A 3Kg whiting would be on the awesome list.
    have to agree with that

but from the list jacks get my vote but fish under 50 seem to give up a bit easy
    and ive never got a threadie and would imagine theyd go hard
    plus theres the trevs,giant herring,tarpon and bass would go into my top 5
    Last edited by shin25; 18-09-2007 at 12:01 PM.

Estuary fighters, have to be a Jack. Sorry boys, just keeping it real.

Richie

i would definatly go with the jack even though i havent cought a basss

one that also hasnt been mentioned is a good size cattie,they go hard to.
    If i could get paid the same to fish, sorry boss but i ......!

i voted for jack but a giant herring would be the fastest,hardest running fish by far!