View Poll Results: What is the hardest fighting estuary fish?

Voters
247. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bream

22 8.91%
  • Cod

13 5.26%
  • Mangrove Jack

162 65.59%
  • Flathead

10 4.05%
  • Bass

13 5.26%
  • Threadfin Salmon

27 10.93%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Hardest fighting estuary fish for there size

Re: Hardest fighting estuary fish for there size

yer mate i am fishing the classic how about urself

TEAM JBC FOR THE CLASSIC 07! sorry i have only cuaght big threadies so i would have to say threadies

Quote Originally Posted by jpart10 View Post
    yer mate i am fishing the classic how about urself
    no unfortunly mayb nxt year

Pound for pound, a 500g bream up against 500g jack, the jack would hit harder no doubt but after that even, close to the boat the bream. That’s my 2 bobs worth anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Didley View Post
    Pound for pound, a 500g bream up against 500g jack, the jack would hit harder no doubt but after that even, close to the boat the bream. That’s my 2 bobs worth anyway.
    Im with you on that. Won't a jack not put up such a great fight any way because in most cases the drag will be locked on the reel, so all it is, is just a matter of steering it out of the snag any way not to shore open to critisim

I'll go with that assumption and add that I reckon a 500gm bass will pull the bream backwards and still hit every bit as hard as a jack. I've only caught 2 jacks and so far Id say they are a good fighter but not quite the top of the class. they do get the gong for being the dirtiest fighter tho'. The last one I got i called for a bream and it was on a 1-3kg stick with 6lb main and 10lb leader. goes to show, even a dirty fighter can have a bad day

I reckon it depends on how healthy/fit the particular fish is i have caught some good bream that have pulled exeptionally hard, same goes for bass i reckon in fish up to 1kg bass and jacks are on par over a kilo i would say jacks, as for threadfin i have not caught one, flathead they go ok but it is a different kind of fight, but i still enjoy catching them.
    Marty.

In the selection list it is the Jack for my money, however I think Mr Jack would be hard pressed to match Mrs. Bonefish or the little fella Giant Herring. Totally different fight but pound for pound i think they might be dragging Mr. Jack backwards.

Jack.

Mangrove Jack for me ..... I would not even try using my bream gear if I knew a 1 kg Jack was on the cards ..... But in reality their environment has a lot to do with it ... + they strike on the way back to their snag ..... Nagg

i love to catch jacks dont get me wrong, but i think the size bream would pull a mj out of its skin, just imagine hooking a 2 kilo bream around bridge pylons. it would dust you over that quick, your knees wouldn't have time to tremble, bream for me.

Whiting without a doubt,but its not on your list unfortunately.
    George
    At Heaven's gate a soldier stood,
    his story ready to tell,
    St Peter said, 'no need my son all is understood,
    Go right in cos you've already served your time in Hell'

where is tarpon ?

Quote Originally Posted by vertico View Post
    where is tarpon ?
    where do you catch tarpon?

id say giant herring.

I haven't caught a jack yet, but pound for pound out of the fish I've caught in estuaries I'd put GTs and whiting ahead of any others in the list.
    Joel
    Fishing for the thrill, not for the kill