Thread: King George Whiting

King George Whiting

Hello everyone,
    Is there anyone in the forum that has experience fishing for King George Whiting is South Australia. I would like to know the best time of the year to go to have the best weather and the best chance to find the fish. Ideally these should be the same time. I really don't like the cold weather so that excludes winter so that leaves summer (Feb, March) and late spring (Sept, Oct). I would be taking a 3.7m tinnie.
    Regards,
    BillB

Re: King George Whiting

Hi BillB,

The South Aussies have there own fishing chatsite, please refer to the attached website; http://www.fishsa.com/

You can join up, then ask a few questions to the members.

KG whiting are a year round proposition, but as with all fish some times are better than others.

When I lived in Adelaide - I caught good whiting in March / April.

Tackle: size 4 or 5 hook (for legal to 40cm fish), with 10lb / 12lb leader (if fishing for the bigger whiting; kilo plus, then 15lb would be better). Braid is an advantage as it detects the slightest of nibbles. Paternoster rig and sinker to suit conditions. About a 45 gram snapper sinker was suitable for fishing up to 25 feet.

Rod and reel: something that would handle a bream is all that you need. 7ft rod (soft tip), with a 2000 / 3000 class reel.

Berley: is a must. I would buy a gallon of cockles and half of that was crushed up to be used for berley. Throw some crushed cockles over board when you first anchor up, or with a berley cage release crushed cockles near the bottom. I always had another berley cage with squid, cockles and pellets in it as a berley that sat on the bottom - used more for slow release of berley. If no fish in say: 20 minutes move to a new spot.

I preferred frozen cockles to fresh and would always have the point of the hook sitting in the black part of the cockle. KG Whiting apparently like the black bit best.

Other baits - squid or razorfish.

Bottom: broken bottom is what you are looking for. That being weed and sand bottom, can be a large sand patch surrounded by weed or a more patchy bottom.

I found that in shallow water (under 20 feet) slightly mirky water was better than clear water. If clear probably better to fish a little deeper.

Always hold your rod, feeling for the slightest touch. I found it rare that these fish would hook themselves, so trying to juggle two rods is a waste of time. If losing hooks (not feeling bites) then most likely leatherjackets - time to move.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Shane

Shane,
    Thanks for the great informatiion.
    Have you got any suggestions on the best time of the year to go? I want to combine the fishing trip with a trip through the Flinders Ranges. If I fished SA February March, how would the Flinders be in April? Too hot? Alternately I could do the Flinders in September and continue to the fishing, sightseeing the rest of SA etc. in October. Which of these would you suggest would be the best time to combine the two activities?
    Regards,
    BillB

Hi Bill,

I never ventured to the Flinders Ranges - so I dont know what to expect there. But I wouldn't expect that April is going to be too hot.

Your other consideration is the size of your boat - I had a 5 metre fibreglass boat in Adelaide and ventured 5 - 10 kilometres offshore. You may not have that range in a 3.7m tinny. February / March would still see afternoon seabreezes that bring 15 / 20 knot winds, just about everyday, so early morning fishing would be your safest bet.

Cheers

Shane
    Last edited by coraltrout68; 18-09-2007 at 09:17 AM.

Hi BillB

When we used to fish for KGW (i miss them !) we used similar long shank hooks but with a red plastic tube on the leader and used a small bean sinker with a running line.

We used to cast towards weed edge, so you need some sun light to see where to anchor. The boat needed to be secured by a both bow and stern anchor tied tight so the boat was fixed parallel to the weed and maybe 15 to 20 m, a nice cast length, away. At Kingston SE we would only be maybe 50 to 100 m off shore and there were some snodger KGW to be had even that close to shore maybe only 4 to 8 m deep

We used cockel / pippy but only about half each time. Fished early before the sea breeze comes in using chicken pellets mixed with beach sand and a little tuna oil used sparingly and thrown towards the weed edge too.

When the seabreeze comes in go chase gar with the left over burley and pippy on a McDonald float anchored over the weed and pick up a squid with a jig on a float at the same time.

If it wasn't for the ^***($ winters etc down there I might not have moved to SE Qld!

Have fun and I can taste the KGW now!

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

Hi BillB
    Rigs for kg's vary to peoples choice,from paternos. to a bean sinker above a swivel 700mm trace with 2 hooks off the trace.
    The flow of tide in the gulf is strong on higher tides and taking different sinker sizes is a must.
    When fishing kg's have a squid teaser over at all times as you will score plenty of them,when you get 1 take the head off put it on a larger hoog with heavier line and sinker,this also is a attractant a slop line.
    With your tinny you should also try the large bream around the port river you can pump yabbies (clickers) around the place also dig tubeworms (the heads are the best) Be careful and get a fisheries guid from a tackle shop for sizes and closed areas.
    Trolling cd18s and other lures of the size during the day can also lead to a very nice jewie from between 15kg's to40kg's.
    You can also live bait them at night around the river.
    http://fishnet.com.au/information/gps.html
    This will help you get your gps marks.
    North Haven boat ramp is good as are most in SA but remember they cost to use.
    There is no licence there so fill up ang go.
    Hope this was helpful to you Bill.
    Cheers Steve aka MJW.
    Tight lines

There is no licence there so fill up ang go.
    Sorry Steve, but they do have boat licences in SA (I am only assuming you were referring to a boat licence) I have had one since I was 16 and still use that to operate a boat in Queensland.

I am not sure what the rules are if you come from a state that dont have boat licences (only WA and NSW as far as I know) but obviously if you are coming from a state that has boat licences, they are recognised there.

Hi Bill,

Being born and bred as a Croweater I am probably a bit biased but I think that King Georgies are the best eating fish in Oz (and I have tried Coral Trout, Spanish Mackeral and the famous WA Dhufish).

I would give the Flinders a miss during the summer months, it would be just too hot. My favorite time of year for that area would be around August to October, you have some great weather that time of year (although can be very cold at night) and depending on the very fickle rainfall patterns you have half a chance of some greenery, maybe even some of the beautiful wildflowers the Flinders are famous for.

While you can catch King Georgies all year round and numbers dont seem to change much during the year, I found that you seem to catch bigger fish during the winter months. It is my theory (and that it is all it is, based on my observations) that the King Georgies prefer colder waters and as such during summer you have to fish deeper waters to catch the larger fish.

My old stomping ground is at Cowell, an hour and a half drive south of Port Augusta so obviously I have more knowledge of that area. Cowell sits adjacent to Franklin Harbour, a near land locked harbour with two entrances, both around 100 metres wide. The harbour itself is a safe haven for boating in a smaller tinnie
    and you can catch King Georgies in the deeper shipping channels, otherwise there are some great spots just outside the harbour and down to Point Price which you dont need a sounder for because most of the time you can see the bottom.

Some other great spots are at Coffins Bay, admittedly on the west coast of EP but it also offers great sheltered boating (as do most of the small towns on either coast of EP).

My absolute favorite spot is at the Sir Joseph Banks group of islands off Tumby Bay, that area has consistently produced the most big King Georgies I have seen although you wont get ther in your tinnie, I am sure there would be a Charter boat in Tumby.

You could also try the east coast of Yorke Peninsula (the west coast is good too but is exposed a bit to the elements), there are plenty of places along that coast that are great for Whiting (Port Victoria, Stansbury, Edithburg etc) and I believe that there is an excellent Charter operation that operates out of Edithburg.

You will also find that fishing on the east coast of either peninsula negates the problems with the trade winds, they are blowing off the shore.

In all those locations, expect to catch Tommy Ruff, Silver Whiting, Flathead and small Snapper. Always, repeat always have a squid jig over the side when fishing for King Georgies, the terrain you catch King Georgies in is also excellent squid territory.

I understand that there are othe great King George Whiting spots in South Australia but I have just not fished them so my knowledge of them is very limited. For example, I have always wanted to fish off Kangaroo Island as I have consistently seen and heard reports of the gret fishing there (I will get there one day!!)

All the advise on this thread in rigs and bait is very sound and all I can add to it is that in deeper water, always use the paternoster, I dont know why but it is the only rig I seem to have had any luck with deeper water.

Some other advice for that area;

1. Sample some of the magnificent oysters the area is now famous for. They cost (last time I was there) about six bucks a dozen and are absolutely bloody beautiful to eat.
    2. Go and visit the Cowell Jade Showroom. It seems to be a little known fact that the Cowell area is home to the largest deposit of black Jade (the hardest of all Jades) in the world.
    3. Dont fall in, there are some big bities (Carcharodon Carcharias) in the waters of all of South Oz.
    I think Ihave covered most of it, if there is anything else you would like to know, just ask.

Cheers

Geoff
    Last edited by sea raider; 20-09-2007 at 10:16 AM.

G'day Bill, only fished for KG's in SA at Port Lincoln a few years back. Had a half day trip with a local guide. Pippis (cockles) were bait and burley. Pillies (mulies) were chopped up and used as burley as well. Best bite was when we used a pippi with a pilly tail. Most fish caught were between 50 and 65cm. The flavour of the pipis tends to wash out fairly quickly. We fished in the clear patches between the weed beds in about 20ft of water. Paternoster rigs, long shank no4 hooks, 10lb line and light sinkers. Was there in late July and the areas we fished were quite protected so a boat as yours should be ok. Was a bit cool. Wouldn't go swimming. Used same gear and technique in WA with same results. We also picked up snook and salmon. We had to try a few spots to locate the fish but we done well when we did. Good eating fresh, but then all fish are. Quite reasonable when frozen for a bit Still prefer my tropical species.

Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by sea raider View Post
    Sorry Steve, but they do have boat licences in SA (I am only assuming you were referring to a boat licence) I have had one since I was 16 and still use that to operate a boat in Queensland.

I am not sure what the rules are if you come from a state that dont have boat licences (only WA and NSW as far as I know) but obviously if you are coming from a state that has boat licences, they are recognised there.
    No i meant fishing licence as ive shifted to ACT. now i need a licence but not in SA. sorry for the missunderstanding
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by mad jewie fisher View Post
    No i meant fishing licence as ive shifted to ACT. now i need a licence but not in SA. sorry for the missunderstanding
    Cheers
    Your're joking, you need a licence to go fishing???

What the hell is this world coming to?

Geoff

Geoff,
    Thanks to you and the other posts for the great information. Which order would you suggest doing both the Flinders Ranges and the whiting fishing on leaving Brisbane. After your advice, I am leaning towards doing the Flinders on the way down in August and continuing on further south after that. The current weather maps seem to be a cycle of fronts followed by high pressure systems over the coast which would seem to give good weather for a day or so. There still seen to be frosts at night though. If it's still that cold there now I thought it would be too cold for a Queenslander there in August but I am willing to take advice and go there then.
    What do you suggest.
    Cheers,
    BillB

Quote Originally Posted by sea raider View Post
    Your're joking, you need a licence to go fishing???

What the hell is this world coming to?

Geoff
    I was shocked when I found out I needed 0ne
    you dont get charged to launch your boat in nsw but the ramps arent of the quallity of places that charge,
    The licence fee is so they can buy out commercial netters and trappers and longliners,
    It seems to have been good as the kingfish stocks plummeted with traps now they are comming back after they banned it and payed out the licences .
    Now if they can buy the longliners out and stop the yft getting such a hiding (and the dead marlin that are dropped to the bottom) then things will be much better,
    They have closed alot of the fishing from Ulladalla to Bermigui.
    I dont have to much of a problem with it except I lost my Jewie beach now I gotta look for another.
    Cheers Steve

Smile Re: King George Whiting

Quote Originally Posted by BillB View Post
    Geoff,
    Thanks to you and the other posts for the great information. Which order would you suggest doing both the Flinders Ranges and the whiting fishing on leaving Brisbane. After your advice, I am leaning towards doing the Flinders on the way down in August and continuing on further south after that. The current weather maps seem to be a cycle of fronts followed by high pressure systems over the coast which would seem to give good weather for a day or so. There still seen to be frosts at night though. If it's still that cold there now I thought it would be too cold for a Queenslander there in August but I am willing to take advice and go there then.
    What do you suggest.
    Cheers,
    BillB
    G'day Bill,

It's really six of one, half a dozen of the other and depends a bit on where you are going to enter SA. If coming through Broken Hill then you go straight past the Flinders on your way to EP.

Cheers

Geoff