21 17.36%
  • I'm pro environment and happy to be called green

26 21.49%
  • I'm pro environment but "green" is a dirty word

74 61.16%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are you "green"

Are you "green"

We think being "green" is a good thing, and we're wondering if a lot of Ausfishers would consider themselves to be "green" or if "green" has become a dirty word for fishing people?

There is a lot of thoughtful comment about sustainable fishing, environmental balance, waterway protection, etc etc in these fishing posts and threads.

We're not fans of any kind of extremism or fundamentalism , so we're not meaning "extremist greeny" when we say green is good, (though we'd prefer an extremist greeny over an extremist developer who would happily destroy every mangrove in sight, any day).

Anyway, we fish, we eat fish, we don't want to loose access to Moreton Bay etc, but we still think we are green ...we don't use poisons, we don't use fertilisers, we grow organic vegies, we catch rain water, we look after the environment, we minimise power consumption and water consumption, we take our rubbish with us after we camp, we want mangroves and wetlands preserved and we want fish to be available for our kids and grandkids to catch.

Re: Are you "green"

Great poll.

I think a lot of people want to do the right thing by the environment, but the debate has been hijacked by the looney fringe. There have been a bunch of good threads on environment issues lately and a lot of people would agree with some measure of protection. Moreton Bay is a good example, I don't there are many people saying "let's not save the bay for the future", but we got a radical lobby focusing all the debate on the closures and very few people seem to be asking "Is this the best way to save the bay for the future?"

Likewise with climate change, who knows who is right with that debate? On the other hand, I think that many people would be happy with a bit less pollution.

Quote Originally Posted by sunny View Post
    Great poll.

I think a lot of people want to do the right thing by the environment, but the debate has been hijacked by the looney fringe. There have been a bunch of good threads on environment issues lately and a lot of people would agree with some measure of protection. Moreton Bay is a good example, I don't there are many people saying "let's not save the bay for the future", but we got a radical lobby focusing all the debate on the closures and very few people seem to be asking "Is this the best way to save the bay for the future?"

Likewise with climate change, who knows who is right with that debate? On the other hand, I think that many people would be happy with a bit less pollution.
    By all decent and logical measure the loony fringe is actually the government, their mate in kind the 'watermellons' and the restrictions they are forcing onto the largely gullible and uncomprehending great unwashed.

A person has no way to fight this doctrin of 'Protection for protectons sake'. This angers people who would like some decency in proceedings, it has not and will not be forthcoming so the honest comprehending few are forced to meet the Lockout lunatics at their level.

How does one meet idiocy, governemental or Green without at least trying to meet it, who pats a lion while it is maulling said person??
    There is a very very good reason the greens are called watermellons.

Interestingly when the watermellons get it right they are right (the issue will have already been understood in REAL science for quite a while before then) but they fight in an identical sense for ground that is simply wrong and unacounted - they could so much better and have the adoration of all people who understand environmental science and the very many recfisherman who by very nature are naturalists but they are content to railroad the public (along with a willingly corrupt government) instead of working to make a difference the environment will actually notice -a win for all and everything conserned.

cheers fnq

Good thread ! .... While I'm pro environment ... I really couldn't be considered GREEN How can I ? when I introduce many Kgs of lead into the environment every year & stick hooks into fish ..... but I do take home my rubbish & old line, I limit my catch (predominately C & R) , run a 4 stroke ...... & then drive off in my Diesel 4WD ...... I'm all for certain restrictions (bag/ size limits , closures/ closed seasons ..... when necessary) .... Nagg

Cool Re: Are you "green"

Hi All
    Just ONE simple question to ask the next "tree hugger" you meet;

Are you a Conservationist or a Preservationist?????

The first relates to most sensible hunter gatherers who want their conditions to remain relatively stable.

The second wants it all to be locked away for good.

Unfortunately there are also the individuals who want to strip the ecosystem bare.

Waiting for the salt water fishing licence anyone?

cheers.

I seek to respect and appreciate my fellow humans.
    I seek to respect and appreciate God and ALL his creations.
    Make your own mind up!
    Oh, and I'm not 'religious' either, by anyones' definition!

We got a rainwater tank sittin in the yard but it aint connected, does that count?

Good thread here
    I love to fish and almost always take my son,he is 13 and gets quite upset if I dont take him.
    I want him and his kids to be able to fish so a sensible and conservitive attitude is required.
    We release carefully more fish than we keep.
    I agree with any form of sensible conservation.
    This current bout of proposed lockouts in moreton bay is a perfect case of non-sensible conservation,i would bet not one of the current law makers is a user of this great resource.
    I have recently moved from redcliffe to tin can bay(everywhere i used to fish in front of redcliffe is now under proposed green zone area).
    The great sandy straights are covered by mostly yellow zones,we can still fish most areas with restrictions on the amount of rods/hooks you can use at any one time and a few green zones,this system seems mostly fair.Conservation and Preservation seem to be balanced.

Craig

I'm conscious of the impact I have, not only when I fish, but in every day life. Make sure the place you've visited is no more littered/affected then when you get there. Doesn't mean I'm a greenie. I can't stand them. Too over the top. I don't believe in "carbon footprints". I've done a science degree and CO2 impact has yet to be dispalyed as proof. It's just a political bandwagon started by Thatcher and carried on by people who would like to make a living out of it.

Just be sensible about what you do.

The problem with the green movement is there is no telling who are the moderates and who are the radicals. Maybe we need a browny green faction to have sustainable living through good education and community support not closures and banning.

BTW I dont use fertilizer either, I would prefer the grass die sose I dont have to mow and can go fishing.
    Paul

I voted that i am not green . I do recycle , bring all rubbish back from a fishing trip , I have a water tank ( only so I can wash the boat & cars ) but most things I buy come in plastic of some sort , at work everything we use comes wrapped in all sorts of crap but is put in a big industrial bin but I am not a greeny . I could do a lot more but then I could do a lot less I probably do as much as the next normal person what ever that means .
    cheers fae haggis .........................................

I'm normally only green just before I hurl.

Sometimes I'm green when I read the fishng reports.

I care about the enviroment and want future generation to enjoy what I enjoy. I am mostly C&R.
    But I ride 2 stroke trail bikes in the forest and 2 stroke boats in the bay. I guess that makes me a hypocrite?

Well i am definaltly not Green....The only part of me that is Green is the little green light on Ausfish when i am on line....I respect conservation and bring home rubbish...line...ect...but i do cut down trees for fire wood and i am also an avid shooter...

Mick

Ok , so many people declare that they recycle, c&r ect, but still deny they are green?? SO...can I say I am green with out reprisal, is that what everyone is worrried about?

I'm not a "tree hugger" either, more a reformed hunter.

Sorry all , but I think to much energy is wasted badgering this poor colour, if we really do care about our environment, including the fish , shouldn't we all be a bit green??????????????????

There , I've said it............

Waiting for the stones.....

Muzz