Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats the fascination with bream fishing?

Whats the fascination with bream fishing?

Gday guys, not wanting to sound naive but whats the deal with bream fishing? Why do people spend thousands on lures, rods, reels and even boats to target these fish?
    I know they fight well for their size but they really arent good eating compared to heaps of other fish. Where I live they live in landlocked estuaries and lakes and are plentiful and really easy to catch biting anything you throw at them. Most people just take their kids fishing for them.

Can someone please enlighten me?

Neil

Re: Whats the fascination with bream fishing?

Well just look at all the fuss people make over catching little trout?, and to me bream taste on par with snapper, for those who cant or dont want to go deep sea bream are a good fish to target in a sporting sense.

I always wondered the same thing about course fishing in theU.K.They go to a lot of trouble and spend long ours in the cold for 3 inch fish.

Good Numbers, Great taste.. Lots of fun to catch.

I don't go all out for the bream either but when the kids are with me they are the best fish to target, and many a kid has hooked a bream and intern has been hook on fishing. So different strokes for different folks.

tt
    Last edited by Tropicaltrout; 15-09-2007 at 07:31 AM.

Because its where the very basics of your fishing skills begin, nothing like a good bream session to improve your awareness and sharpen your basic skills, and often they need a little more skill to catch then a snapper.
    Also not everyone has the means/tackle and money to extend there areas of explorations.
    regards

As far as I'm concerned there's MUCH more skill involved in the capture of a 1kg plus bream than a 7kg plus snapper, but on the taste bud side of things I'm with you - bream are pretty ordinary, when compared to other fish.
    Beast

Why are some people fascinated with snapper fishing on light gear and soft plastics?

Why do some people have an obsession to catch a big jew?

Why do some people target that big rainbow trout?

To me, bream and whiting fishing is probably what most of us have been brought up on as kids. They're generally plentiful and are fun to catch.

TOL

Bream are great fun to catch,lovely to eat,you dont spend thousands to catch em who said that.

I love bream fishing.

Perhaps it is because of it being a starter fish so it has fond feelings of early day fishing for some of us.

Perhaps because it can be done with basic gear Alvey, long slow action rod...beautiful.

Perhaps becasue there is skill involved, as there always is with all fishing. Why can one person find and catch bream when no one else in a similar place is?...skill knowledge etc.

Than there is the whole fishing thing. Fishing is fun what ever you are targeting and if bream are available then great, and if they are really on...who complains about an easy catch...you don't have to keep them all.

I love the taste of fresh bream, just caught.

Chas

Alot of the fun i have with catching bream comes from the challenge involved in getting your lure/sp right in under structure, or in sunken trees and tricking a bream to come out and grab the thing. To me, it seems alot more skillful than just dropping a sinker over a reef somewhere.

It's fun! & brings a smile to my face when I get good one!!

Go ask this question @ www.ausbream.com.au or look at www.bream.com.au & you will see why mate. A chance to win $10,000 also gets people into it..

Lets face it some are outright full of them selves, others are in it for the fun and others are in it for their egos. In having said that I would rather these guys be spending thousands on fishing gear than drug labs or guns.

Stu

Hey Pinhead,

Where have you been on this thread? What are your thoughts on this?

TOL

Is it just me or is BronzieBasher fishing for as many bites as the bream fisherman?