Thread: need a good cheap beach combo

need a good cheap beach combo

going fishing soon at the coorong for mulloway. i need a good beach combo that wouldnt be more than 150.

Re: need a good cheap beach combo

BCF and the mart should have one for your price range.

Mike

I've seen a 13' alvey combo with a 650 B reel for around 140 at bcf

rockfisho

Alvey 650 might set you back $80. Cheap heavy surf rod shouldn't be more than $50.

I got 2 jarvis walker 12 foot red devil surf rods on thursday with reels for $50 each, not sure on the quality as i will test them out next weekend, certainly lighter than my ancient rod i had

I always find it hard to get both "GOOD AND CHEAP" cheers

i bouts a shimano beach combo wth a 12ft surf rod and a 6000fx to match it was relativley cheap at $100 i got it at bcf and it's only a cheap reel so it doesnt matter if it gets too much sand in it and breaks but nonetheless it is an awsome smooth reel and is very reliable provding it get's washed off after every use. cheers chris

In the lower price range I would stick to an Alvey, either as part of a combo or wit one of the cheaper cheaper rods. There are a few that fit the purpose. Spool up with 10kg mono and away you go
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

just got my mate a beaut outfit from bib w for 109 llars. make sure you spool some decent quality line on, and you'll be ready to roll.

cuzza

Quote Originally Posted by hardcore_rm View Post
    I got 2 jarvis walker 12 foot red devil surf rods on thursday with reels for $50 each, not sure on the quality as i will test them out next weekend, certainly lighter than my ancient rod i had
    I got the same a few weeks ago on special for $39. I got a $70 shimano boat rod to share the reel with ( will upgrade reel when money permits ). Haven't tried the 12' rod yet, but the real is okay. loaded it up with 15kg lo-stretch platypus and took it to harvey bay.

The drag is a bit sticky, but what do you expect for a cheap reel right?

I think everybody who's spoken about this thread has just about got it covered.

For around $150, a cheap 13'6' rod for around $40 0r $50 and say a 6" Alvey reel plus some 15lb or 20lb line should see you through for what you're after.

TOL

i have a silstar crystal tip beach rod , and compaired to all the other beach rods ive had [ butterworth , diawa,jervis walker ] it leaves them for dead!!!!! they are a graphite composit rod so they are light but very strong ,this rod can feel whiting biting but can also handle sharks [ a 5 footer being my best ] and nice jewies [ 12 kilo ] my best . cost about $100.00 .as for a reel $50.00 dosnt leave you with much option maybe try for second hand !!! if you want a new reel buy a known brand . and just to add to the cost go for braid line its fantastic on the beach .
    good luck