Thread: Poona

Question Poona

Might be planning trip to Poona at Christmas. Does anyone know what fishing is like and what the area in general is like. I have a 6mtr Haines that I would be fishing out of.

Re: Poona

It's a nice spot. Shhhhh lol. I've stayed at Tininbah a few times which is south of Poona and loved it.. There are some nice little creeks to explore in the southern end. Lots of fishing to be had all along that area.

Its on the Sandy Straits, it is a huge body of water with all types of fishing options, even a trip offshore through the wide bay bar, and virtually no boat traffic. I recently bought a block of land at Poona as I think it is paradise not yet discovered by the masses.........like to keep it that way, so maybe you should go to Noosa instead LOL.

The only thing you need to watch is the tides if launching from Poona, as you will need to get out 2 hours either side of high in a boat that size. Check out the "Tinnanbar Ledge" and some of the deep holes along the western side of Fraser. At that time of the year you can expect all species of Mackerel in the straits, jack and even barra in the creeks

Cheers
    Stu

ive fished it a few times. you can get up there in your boat but you will struggle on low tide. better of fishing in kauri creek or in the straits. as merrick said lots of little creeks all around the back of fraser in the sandy straits. see ya up there

Mate I lived there for two years, and still fish the area regularly. I have a 6mt boat as well. Your best option for successful launching (i.e. anytime) is Boonooroo, which is about 15 k's north of Poona, you can't miss it. With a boat that size your options are endless. Its only a short trip to get outside, but the weather at that time of the year can be unstable. I would concentrate on working the channels that hug Fraser, mainly working the edge of the drop- offs. Current can be a problem so working your tides is the key. Like any accessible spot it can get hectic over this period so early or late afternoon would be your best options. If the wind gets up and I can't get offshore I work the island channels chasing bluey's (blue spot tusk-fish) just catch some small crabs from Poona Point, they can be hit-and-miss though. Have fun and I guarantee you will relax, if you have kids they will be safe. The area can be a frustrating place to fish with current etc. but it can turn on some good fishing.
    P.S Tinnanbar Ledge is a good spot for reefies like F2E said.
    Hope this gives a bit of help

Cheers Benny

As already stated the entrance to poona creek can get a bit skinny on low tide and I am pretty sure you wont get in or out on bottom half of tide,the ramp at tuan near boonaroo would be your best bet,or tin can bay haha,I will tell you what i am catching as soon as this fresh clears a bit,going to bluff reef in the morning with zac,will let you know what we catch.

Craig

Thanks to everyone for information on Poona sounds like a top spot. Hopeful to be there for Christmas

plenty of reefs in the straights but ur not to far from the bar there so i would just go straight for it.
    It is piss easy to cross as well

First reply didnt make it so I'll try again, hope this helps. Out the front of Poona is pretty open water and summer sees a few northerly winds. Kauri creek (log camp) is a good bush ramp and the creek can be a mill pond in the middle of a cyclone. Also Maaroom another 10 K north is worth a go as you can do some island hopping to keep out of the wind. Do some homework as its easy to get bogged around there. Ive got a week there next week hear some good summer whiting are about at the moment at the moment.