Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: when do the jacks really start

Re: when do the jacks really start

I reckon Jacks are always on the chew!

Kept one in a tank for 4 years, and he never stopped eating.

Some of the best Jack fishing I've seen round SEQ has been in August!

Cheers

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by 3rd degree View Post
    I reckon Jacks are always on the chew!

Kept one in a tank for 4 years, and he never stopped eating.

Some of the best Jack fishing I've seen round SEQ has been in August!

Cheers

Jim

JIM , might I suggest you probably had a heater in your tank, and August is when the water temp could be starting to increase, and jacks are coming out of their dormant period and are very hungry.

Quote Originally Posted by Didley View Post
    JIM , might I suggest you probably had a heater in your tank, and August is when the water temp could be starting to increase, and jacks are coming out of their dormant period and are very hungry.
    I had one in my tank for years too when i first got him i did not have a heater on him for 2 years i got him at 1 cm long from the tweed and turned him to freshwater, he used to eat non stop every day in the middle of winter never changed his moods swings or anything when winter come.

heres a photo of him

Here we go again......... more late nights, fishing for hours on end 3-4 times a week. Jacks are like Pringles, once you pop you cant stop. I dare say they will be a lot of foul language coming out of my mouth this summer directed at those red basted lure thieves.

Quote Originally Posted by jackextracter View Post
    I had one in my tank for years too when i first got him i did not have a heater on him for 2 years i got him at 1 cm long from the tweed and turned him to freshwater, he used to eat non stop every day in the middle of winter never changed his moods swings or anything when winter come.

heres a photo of him

Jackextracter, being in fresh water was he still a tasty meal. He looked nice.

Had some luck on the weekend.

Got one keeper around the 450 mark. Last 2 hours of the top of t he tide is 6 ft of water, bottom had no structure but was at the mouth of a creek. Maybe moving in and out on the high tide?!?!?!?! Had 5 to 6 good hits but missed em. They werent in the usual spot so tried elsewhere.

Dead mullet used, would touch anything live.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by zedjack33 View Post
    Had some luck on the weekend.

Got one keeper around the 450 mark. Last 2 hours of the top of t he tide is 6 ft of water, bottom had no structure but was at the mouth of a creek. Maybe moving in and out on the high tide?!?!?!?! Had 5 to 6 good hits but missed em. They werent in the usual spot so tried elsewhere.

Dead mullet used, would touch anything live.

Cheers

Where abouts zed. (roughly)

North of Bundy

Hows this one got 30 odd Jacks last year in a spot ant the water depth was a foot deep and no structure what so ever, but chocka's of poddy mullet they where on the suface it was unreal.

in the nossa river was it ?

Hey guys, having never caught a jack before I'm keen to target them this season using fresh bait and Sp's. I was hoping that someone could point me in the right direction for land base locations between the brisy river and the Maroochy river. I do have a beacon to beacon so finding rivers, creeks etc wont be an issue.

Thanks in advance, Mick.

Quote Originally Posted by 84mick View Post
    Hey guys, having never caught a jack before I'm keen to target them this season using fresh bait and Sp's. I was hoping that someone could point me in the right direction for land base locations between the brisy river and the Maroochy river. I do have a beacon to beacon so finding rivers, creeks etc wont be an issue.

Thanks in advance, Mick.
    Hi there, dont think some one would give up one of there spots for free someones jack spot is usally there secret spot, to find spots you have to work them out just try stucture in the rivers with run in the water and dont give up keep trying.

Quote Originally Posted by jackextracter View Post
    Hi there, dont think some one would give up one of there spots for free someones jack spot is usally there secret spot, to find spots you have to work them out just try stucture in the rivers with run in the water and dont give up keep trying.
    Thanks jackextracter for the reply. Sorry I wasnt trying to get peoples "spot X" but just general location along a river and so and so. I have herd of Coochin (spelling) creek as a good spot but never caught any decent fish there.

Cheers, Mick.

Thanks jackextracter for the reply. Sorry I wasnt trying to get peoples "spot X" but just general location along a river and so and so. I have herd of Coochin (spelling) creek as a good spot but never caught any decent fish there.

Cheers, Mick.
    Any of the main river systems will produce jacks just look for rock drop off that looks deep with run in the tide and any structure with run in the tide you would be surprised some of the good jack spots in the rivers.

Cheers, Mick.
    Hi Mick
    Best advice I can give re M/J spots in the Pumicestone passage is to hire , borrow or steal a tinny for a day or 2, and explore the creeks between bribie bridge and coochin. You'll find heaps of likely spots that U can get to on foot if you know where they are first by boat. Take your beacon to beacon with U, mark the good spots and then work out how to get to them on foot or car after.I've PMed U with a coochin spot, but coochin creek is fished heavily, there are better creeks. Some creeks have very shallow entrances don't let that stop U. Keep trying it'll be worth it.

good fishing, Didley