Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Brisbane Jack fishos

Re: Brisbane Jack fishos

Yeh i'm also interested in tagging, where do we get the tags from, don't mind buying a tag gun etc as i'd like to do some tagging in my wild bass spots to see how much they move during the season.

just google suntag its under the link info-fish (dnt know how to put a link on here)

tagging stater kits cost about $35 all you need to start tagging

there was recently a jack that was recaptured in coffs harbour after being tagged in caloundra i cant find the mag i read about it in but i believe it was on the loose for over a yr and a half and was tagged at 38cm and recaptured at 46cm travelling over 500km in that time

so they dont stay in the esturies till there 50cm plus and leave for the reefs for ever
    jack sh#t is known about these fish in the wild
    so the more of us tagging them the quicker we can find out more about them and if they need help which i sincerly doubt they do

cheers shin
    Last edited by shin25; 14-09-2007 at 10:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shin25 View Post
    just google suntag its under the link info-fish (dnt know how to put a link on here)

tagging stater kits cost about $35 all you need to start tagging

there was recently a jack that was recaptured in coffs harbour after being tagged in caloundra i cant find the mag i read about it in but i believe it was on the loose for over a yr and a half and was tagged at 38cm and recaptured at 46cm travelling over 500km in that time

so they dont stay in the esturies till there 50cm plus and leave for the reefs for ever jack sh#t is known about these fish in the wild
    so the more of us tagging them the quicker we can find out more about them and if they need help which i sincerly doubt they do

cheers shin
    WEll i think people that wrote that info that i posted up must know what there talking about all atleast know more than you about the topic, they know for a fact that they mature at a certain lenght and thats around the 50cm and if there getting caught when the 35- 40cm and kepted they dont even have a chance to breed and reproduce do they ,and how do you know they dont leave for the reef for ever have you caught a 10-20pounder in the river? your right with one thing only a little is known about the species but the info i posted up must come from some were for them to write an article on it there not just going to make sh#t up are they.

If you wade around the mangroves at night almost anywhere in the Bribie Passage you will see hundreds of small jacks in there feeding. The stocks of small natural spawned jacks are incredible, yet the stocks of table sized jacks in those same locations are minimal. We know that jacks in estuaries do move into the mangroves feeding during the high tides most likely every single tide.
    I suspect that mangrove jacks even though they are a top order aggressor in the estuary have a high attrition rate in thier early lives. I regularly see good table fish in these waters but on any night they will be out numbered probably 60-80 to 1.
    I also suspect that these same jacks are falling prey themselves to crabs and eels that frequent the same locations. During the low tide they are forced out into relatively unprotected waters until the high tide once more brings safety and shelter to them.

I am of the opinion that stocking farm bred jacks into this environment will have minimal impact on table sized fish available for harvest. The natural death rate must be quite high indeed. Farmed fingerlings have no real survival skills due to only being exposed to thier own kind for all of thier lives. Wild fingerlings have contended with litterally hundreds of do or die survival issues to reach the same size.

Jack.

at not one point did i say anything about the info you posted
    and i too believe there right of course they know more than me i dnt get paid to study them though i do know off a cpl of genuine 10-15lbs fish from esturies but as stated in your posts you do get the odd lazy one and who hangs around

all i said was not all of them leave when they get big 50cm plus

lets not turn this into a pissing match hey enough said
    Last edited by shin25; 14-09-2007 at 10:06 PM.

To every one posting I will yet again ask you to help out Gwen at Sunland Fish Hatchery. The breeding program on jacks has failed around Oz, she believes she can fix it. She has a great record in this department.

We love chasing jacks and lets face it a 20 lb jack in fresh water would be magic and take pressure of wild stocks, fixing this so called problem. So how about you stop sitting in front of your computer bleating about it and do something about it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by shin25 View Post

lets not turn this into a pissing match hey enough said
    Fare enough mate.
    Last edited by jackextracter; 14-09-2007 at 09:42 PM.

there are more jacks in the water than you can belive. thats coming from a dude that dives all seasones. cheers D-CANMAN.

there are more jacks in the water than you can belive. thats coming from a dude that dives all seasones. cheers D-CANMAN.
    hey D-CANMAN do you dive in the rivers if so would you mind sharing the spots where you have seen jacks. Im only a diver too and i dont fish and i would like to see som jacks lol. ..
    "True Blue"

Quote Originally Posted by loophole View Post
    hey D-CANMAN do you dive in the rivers if so would you mind sharing the spots where you have seen jacks. Im only a diver too and i dont fish and i would like to see som jacks lol. ..
    me too, i love watching them, they are so nice to watch.

pm me if you like, dont want everyone to know where they are.

yeah just pm me and plaztix the spot we wont tell anybody as we dont wont everyone looking at the jacks now do we ....
    "True Blue"

Yeah, Just me, Loophole,and Plaztix, Ijust need a photo of large numbers of m/j for scientific research.

Quote Originally Posted by Didley View Post
    Yeah, Just me, Loophole,and Plaztix, Ijust need a photo of large numbers of m/j for scientific research.
    yeah im doing scientific research on what baits lures jacks will strike at.

Quote Originally Posted by D-CANMAN View Post
    Come on D- CANMAN, we want to believe but because we are scientists we cant without proof.