Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fishing for a bargin

Fishing for a bargin

What things have you unexpectly accuired while going for a fish.
    a few months back I pulled in a good crab pot covered in weed with no name tag and a short bit of rope. It has got me a few muddies since.
    Then a coupple of weeks back I pulled in a sand ancor with a severed rope.
    Then today I got back to the ramp and found a exesize bike someone had dumpped next to the bin, so in the boat it went.
    What have you accuired while fishing.

Re: Fishing for a bargin

A muddy sock only for me.

Oh wait, I did hook some sort of weird bracelet one time. Looked cheap though.

*edit: oh and i pulled up a spinning combo shorebased at wynnam once. Was a cheapy and was covered in sea stuff. obviously it wasnt that loved because it would have easily been retrieved
    Last edited by theclick; 13-09-2007 at 06:44 PM.

I caught a potato bag and a 5 inch soft plastic, dont know what kind but have caught a few fish with it.

cheers tassie JR

At Peel one trip I pulled my line in and had hooked another line. I proceeded to
    pull that line in by hand and found a nice little pistol grip rod with a ABU 6500 on it.
    Didn't appear to have been in the water very long as it only had one barnical on it.
    A good clean up and I still use it today.

I caught a toupe' one time.......the fishing mate shyte himself lolz

Jack

500 suicide hooks...Must have came of a longliner and they broke there gear off...we hooked it up with our long line...bloody tangled mess but the shark clips and hooks we got were A1....It supplied all our local town with free hooks for a long time..

Mick

I picked up a wheel barrow (poly one ) in Adelaide river one year.... and have dragged up the odd fishing rod and reel...all have been ok.

We pulled a dirty nappy up in a robbed crab pot one day....dirty ba-stards
    Other then that diddly squat
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

a shopping troley from the manly peir while fishing for pike eels once! and a mates rod after he dropped agian from the manly peir

ps I wonder how much gear has been lost off that peir over all the years

A watch, had bin in the water for a long time. Caught it on the treble of a lure being trolled over some snaggy country. Thought myself pretty lucky to jag this at the time.

Regards Cameron.

Quote Originally Posted by husserhunter View Post
    a shopping troley from the manly peir while fishing for pike eels once! and a mates rod after he dropped agian from the manly peir

ps I wonder how much gear has been lost off that peir over all the years
    Why would anyone fish for pike eels? They are nasty, aggressive, big-toothed, slimey buggers! I've caught a few and I just cut the line everytime.

Pete

Years ago we were trolling HB lures in a river down south, and my mates rod goes off. Early into it and he has called it as a Jew and it seemed to be taking line.. Until I stopped the boat and started reversing onto it to help him, then it seemed to be dead.

Eventually we are over the top of it and he is pumping and winding, and up comes a sand anchor suitable for a 15 odd foot boat, just perfect for my boat

Thanks very much I say, while I p!ss myself laughing ! Took it home and put the wire brush over it on the angle grinder, good as new.

I called him to bag him over it and he was furious, his Mono on the reel was stretched so badly he had to chuck the lot !! I kept the anchor
    If men are from Mars, and women are from Venus, politicians must be from uranus ?

This didn't actually happen to me, but my brother.
    He was walking through rainforest to get to his mackerel spot on a headland up north near Tully.
    He stumbled across some freshly chopped down tree branches which were covering a Cargo net and tarp, which was covering a cache of firearms!!!

Heaps of rifles ammo pistols etc. He was shi!!ing himself in case someone was in the jungle close by!!

He didn't know what to do but eventually told the Police. By using the serial numbers on the guns, the cops found out they were from a private collector who had them stolen the week before!!!!

I don't think my brother has ever been back there even though he used to get a few Macks there!!!!

I pulled up a reef pick with 4m of chain on it once funniest thing was i hooked it on one of the tines not the chain was awfull heavy to wind in
    Stuie
    IF IT CAN'T EAT A WHOLE PILLY I DON'T WANT IT

I once caught a good rod and reel. They were covered in weed and barnicles but I could just make out the logo on the rod after a couple of minutes cleaning it up and it turned out to be a GLoomis trigger grip (5'8") but I couldn't figure out what the reel was, it looked like it had been in the water a while, chucked the reel, after a couple of hours trying to clean it up but it was well and truly seized, but took the rod into a local tackle store and they stripped it down and fixed it up for $50 not bad for a loomis.

I was using it quite regularly and caught a few barra and threaddys on it until my brother "borrowed" it and returned it in 3 peices,, still don't know how it broke, he's kept his mouth shut (somehow I think driving the boat under some mangroves to retreive some crab pots may have been involved as he has a habit of leaving rods sticking up in the rod holders).

Oh well, easy come easy go......still praying for another good catch