Thread: Iluka landbased...wats happening?

Iluka landbased...wats happening?

Hey guys, thinking of heading down the coast to iluka in a couple of weeks and am wondering wats biting there at the moment?. I will be land based so any info on possible good spots would be appreciated. Cheers

Re: Iluka landbased...wats happening?

Mate,

I think things have been a bit quiet there lately, but you could try the wall about half way out, and also at the end of it on the river side for some bream. Watch the swells out there.

If you've got a 4WD, get some pippis at Shark Bay and try along there. Don't forget you can't take the pippis from where you get them.

Apart from that, there's Main Beach, the Bluff and Fraser's Reef. You can pump yabbies near the old ferry crossing up the river a bit near where the fiesty old geezers fish for luderick and pull worms from Main Beach. The bloke at Dizzy's Bait & Tackle might be worth a try too.

Good luck.

I just got back yesterday from another weeks fishing down there. I had a good time despite the very strong winds and rain. I'll be putting a report up some time today as soon as I have processed the photos
    Cheers Freeeedom

TOL
    Last time i was at Iluka (January) I could'nt find a pippi.!!! I searched from the north wall to Jerusalem creek over the 3 weeks we were there.
    I hope its better this year.
    rando

But then again rando we did get into the beach worms hey!
    Over the next few weeks the fishing will only continue to get hotter!
    with this fresh clearing up, the water is still somewhat discoloured which should turn the luderick on and really fire the jew up.
    Saw some small schools of mullet swimming around so they should pull the jew in as well. From iluka id be trying the breakwall and also the trainer walls near the coastguard.
    Ill be studying for my hsc when you're down but if you get a chance pm me before you leave and ill see wether i can fit in a few "study breaks" into my timetable
    Matt

Hi Rando,

One day we were at Shark bay and the little mounds of the pippis were everywhere. Just pull up at a patch and help yourself. The next day there wasn't one little mound to be seen! Had us beat!

We asked a bloke who was scratching around with a knife and he showed us dozens of tiny depressions in the sand about the size of a five cent piece or smaller and there they were. They were just down a lot deeper than the day before.

You can't see the little depressions though while you're driving. You have to stop every so often and get out and have a look and have a poke around with a knife.

Shark Bay has never done much for me. It just seems too flat and featureless for me, although those that know what they're doing seem to do OK.

TOL

Thanks for the advice/info guys. Got me pretty keen to get down there!!! Cheers

Matty
    I certainly will pm you , we will be at Riverside in January as usual .
    I expect you to put me on to fish.
    Last edited by rando; 11-09-2007 at 08:46 PM.

Hey guys, all this talk of jew being on has got me keen as. I will let you know how i go. Cheers