Thread: Where to go? small outboard

Where to go? small outboard

Hey guys,

been lurking around here for a little bit, but haven't had enough experience to contribute much, and been able to search for most of the info i've needed.

I've recently aquired a small 12' fiberglass runabout, but the problem is, it's only running a 3.5hp outboard. Due to only having been out in a boat a small handful of times I'm not completely sure where would be alright to fish in this. I'd mostly be looking around the lower brisbane river, and off of viccy point around coochie etc. Can anyone see any problems with this? and due to having done the majority of my fishing landbased, any reccomendations on area's to take it?

Thanks
    Adam.

Re: Where to go? small outboard

if you are in a protected area the size of the motor is completely irrelevant, a lot of fish are caught from rowboats, a boat (even though small) just gets you to some hard to get to locations and to fish them from a different "angle"

G'day

Stick to rivers and creeks and close by islands. Coochie is good, at least there's a protected side and a short cruise to the mainland if it blows up. Wellington point would also be ok, but don't forget you only have 3.5hp to play with.

Dave

Dave

adam,,,, once your comfortable with the boat/motor combo you'll explore a bit more undoubtably,,, but as you stated,, if you've only been out a few times stick to the protected parts especially a 3.5 in a glass boat,,,

a few reports on small boats in areas outside this comfort zone have been reported thou',,,, but you've got plenty of options to choose from

choppa
    can it get any better??????????????,,,,,,,,,,,,,,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgG_TxEPaQE

Adam,

can you tell us, the next time you are out in your boat, measure the amount of freeboard you have at the boat's lowest point to the water ( with you in it). Once we know that, we can get some sort of idea. I have not recently been in a boat with a 3.5hp motor, but my guess is that you won't be able to out run or keep up with waves in some places of the bay, which really restricts you to staying very close to mainland if it chops up. I would mostly stay in rivers and estuary unless weather gives you a chance to sneak around, but stay close to the mainland.

Scalem
    Last edited by Scalem; 10-09-2007 at 07:42 PM.

Thanks for the advice guys. Was sorta expecting it'd be fairly limited, but just happy to be on the water none the less. So with what I have here, would around the brisbane river be ok? was thinking about near the gateway, pinkenba, maybe even further towards the mouth? Apart from that I'll probably try around the red bouy etc off of coochie, atleast till such a time comes that I can pick up a slightly larger outboard.

I'd be cautious hanging around the river mouth with only 3.5HP.
    remember, all the big ships that use the river cant stop or turn very well, so you NEED to be able to get out of their way.
    The boat size isnt an issue, my 12ft tinny goes to mud and peel, but it has a 15 on it.

G'day

I'll second what hamish has said.

I also have a 12' tinny, but with 9.9. My boundaries are pretty much moreton with that little thing.

In regards to the mouth of the river, be wary of current/tidal flow, and much much larger vessels who wouldn't even see you if they ran over you, let alone feel you.

Dave