Thread: Fishing around Byron? Recommendations Pls

Fishing around Byron? Recommendations Pls

Have a trip planned to Byron at the end of this week and was after some advice on the area. The boat will stay at home, so it'll just be the plastics and me (and the dog and wife). Any recommedations as to locations would be great. Would you bother getting a fishing licence - or run the risk considering we may only have a couple of fishing sessions in the week we are down there??

Thanks in advance

Mickstar

Re: Fishing around Byron? Recommendations Pls

Mick,
    check the reg's carefully as they have just set Marine Parks all around Byron. There is a river behind Bilongal beach that is chokkers full of Flatties (was fishing it an hour before my wedding! Got 5 monsters) but don't eat em, the sewerage pipes dump into the river (I'm told). Was using 3" Tsunai paddle tails in dark green. See if you can hire a yak and cruise up north- I think it's not part of the Marine Park but check to make sure.

Re: Fishing around Byron? Recommendations Pls

Mickstar,

Jim is spot on - make sure you chack the regluations for closed areas here. Other alternatives are Brunswick river system (some areas fall into the Marine Park so check) or Ballina - no worries there.