Thread: Mackerel Season SEQ

Mackerel Season SEQ

Is there such a thing as a mackerel season in SEQ?

If so, when does it start and end?

Do they come into Moreton Bay?

What types of macks? Doggies or Spotties or Spaniards?

Are they commonly available in areas I can access with a 4 metre punt?

Do they congregate around channel markers like they do in NQ?

I know, lotsa questions, but hey I'm new to SEQ so gotta learn somehow.

Cheers
    BBB

Re: Mackerel Season SEQ

yeah mate they shoudl be almost starting to run now...

the tuna are already in the bay...

we mainly get spotties and schoolies here but there is the occasional spanyid cought too.last year i consistantly bagged out on maks with lots of spotties getting to 130cm's so they are ok sized spotties too.. (obviously only keeping what i needed for that night feed)

i chase maks/tuna in the bay in my 4m boat and i have no drama's..as long as you punt has highish side you shoudl go fine..im going chasing tune this week as long as the weather holds out!!!time to brak in the new motor!!
    Last edited by cobia; 09-09-2007 at 09:05 PM.

any where i could start looking for a mack or tuna ?
    "True Blue"

Quote Originally Posted by loophole View Post
    any where i could start looking for a mack or tuna ?
    Depends where you are starting from - in the southern end of the bay you can start around Peel and work your way towards the sandhills, if you dont see them along that run then they arent around. From my experience anyway.

Saw a school of longtails today at Peel Island but unfortunately for us some goose drove there boat through the school and put them down.
    Water surface temp was only 18 degrees this morning but when it tops 25 they should be around in good numbers.
    Cheers Brent
    Last edited by Aquarius; 09-09-2007 at 10:07 PM.

Check out all the beacon's along Moreton. Herd them up as far as the Bribe bridge and as close the Scarbough Reef. On the way accross the bay they can turn up anywhere harassing bait schools. Look up and slowly follow the birds. They should start turning up now mainly schoolies with the odd spotty and continue through to April. So keep a TSS4 with a slug at the ready. Checking all my drags as we speak.

Thanks team. Much appreciated.
    Cheers
    BBB

Schoolies should be around now. Channel beacons or Rous and Rainbow Channel. The Spots will usually start turning up in Oct and build until after Christmas. Same places as well as in the Paddock and Peel. The Spaniards usually seem to follow them around Christmas right up until May or so and are usually found around the Shipping Channel though I picked up a 15.5kg job off Green a while back

By the way, they will also turn up when you are least expecting them

Cheers

Neil
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Hey BBB, i got onto some great spot's down in the bay leading up to chrissy and just after (before moving up here to Townsville). First was caught around september/october in the bay. It was accessible by a 4m boat, as long as you pick your days.

Are you heading down that way for holidays, or have you moved??

PM me if you need more details
    Last edited by Fisher4life; 10-09-2007 at 08:52 PM.

Unfortunately I've moved. To Toowoomba, so my fishing days are getting further and further apart. I'll give those areas you suggested a go.
    Cheers mate
    BBB

i chase maks/tuna in the bay in my 4m boat and i have no drama's..as long as you punt has highish side you shoudl go fine
    What does that last part mean?..........you punt has highish side