71 25.27%
  • no, release them back into the water

210 74.73%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: river bullshark: kill or release

Re: river bullshark: kill or release

Quote Originally Posted by jpart10 View Post
    hi
    I cant understand personally how there is a percentage of people on this site who would kill them i for 1 think sharks are being killed enough these days through shark nets droppers and especially the asian people killing them just for a fin. I think the Ausfishers who do this should be ashamed of there selves and stop.
    Cheers Jpart10
    My stable fish diet is shark, I would eat about 20 x 1000mm sharks a year. They are gummy shark and a much sort after food fish in tassie and up there with the best eating fish in the sea IMO.
    cheers
    blaze
    ps
    dont agree with kill for kill sake though

I have fished the logan river for bull sharks many of times and we always catch them for the sport and take the odd one home for the table there are a lot of bull sharks in the logan through out the upper and lower reaches of the river they are mainly caught during the warmer months of the year and when you catch one there are normally more to follow but i always release them most of the time they are good fun to catch on light gear with a strong leader we have had better results with floating baits but since they are scavengers they will generally take any bait no matter where it is in the water

Only kill it if your going to eat it. Otherwise chuck it back

Why would you kill something you weren't going to eat, nature has a way of sorting out populations....

You cant kill them for what nature intended. Just remember! We are in their way.

Let them go or eat them.

Signed tuna boy.

If you are not going to eat it put it back .
    when they start walking on land instead of swimming in the ocean then yeah kill them . until then let them swim & do what they do .
    cheers fae haggis ..................

how would they go, or has anyone used them as bait in crab pots ?

Only reason I ask is.....and Im not sure if its a load of garbage, but I either read or heard somwhere that fish can 'smell' shark in the water and will keep well clear of them, just wondering if it would have the same effect on crabs...I do know for a fact they have a distinct smell, and anyone that has caught a shark will know the smell Im talking about.....any truth to whether fish or crabs can smell shark?....anyone?
    .......Ash

crabs love shark but not fresh leave in sun for about 3 days when juices run black best bait seems to attract bucks rather than jennies. bit hard on the nose though.

Well I've heard that sharks love crab.... so its probaly a fair cop to use em for crab bait if you've run out.

cheers

yeah release them so they grow bigger,,,,where is a good place to catch them around brisbane..have 18ft boat

The first place I'd look would be Raby Bay then the brisbane river anywhere from the mouth right up to moggil & beyond.

I say kill every last one of them.........vermin!!

release them and let them grow bigger,,wheres a good place around brisbane to catch them by boat....brissy river???
    Last edited by ausswi; 19-09-2007 at 10:58 PM.

i recently read that there has only been 2 attacks on the coast in the last 5 years.
    Also, I know that their favorite food in their diet is sting rays in which i'm not really fond of either but i know at least i would rather eat shark than ray! Any clues 2 cathing in coast canals would be very appreciated!

I've said let em go ( only because I'm not in favour of killing for the sake of it! ) ..... but I can understand why people would want to kill them... Nagg

PS ..... Send up the Victorians .... They'll kill them & eat them ( calling it Flake ??? .... They go nuts over eating shark )