Thread: Question on Whitsunday islands

Question on Whitsunday islands

Hello All,

We are heading up to the Whitsunday’s in a little while and I am trying to get all the info I can before we go. I would not know where to start and or what to target, I have posted on these boards a lot a while back but really did not have to much luck so I am trying again. Any help or local knowledge anything would be great. I am going to bait fish at this stage around the islands not up in the creeks.

So any help would be excellent.

Cheers

MAD!

Re: Question on Whitsunday islands

Just make sure you have your GBRMPA no fish maps.

Hefty fine can sure put a dampener on holidays.

cheers Mick

what sort of boat you taking?

MAD .... Give us some details (Your plan ie: camping on the islands , boatsize etc) ...... Then you'll get a better response ..... Nagg

Lads,

We are taking a 40FT MV RIO, we plan to stay on the boat pretty much might drop by a resort for a night, it is our honeymoon.

we will also have a little punt but i do not see to much fishing from that.

I am keen to go around the majority of the islands.

Cheers

MAD!

Definitely plan a trip to hill inter at high tide.. the most spectacular place in all of whitsundays. you wont get in at lowtide though.

Hook passage is nice and protected from southerlies and has nice reef drop-offs(awesome spot for GT's early morning)

Just north of hill inlet are 2 rocky points(eastern side of whitsunday island). these always are good for mackerel and GT's etc.

Mackerel bay produces good mackerel on a jig, but you do need a sounder to find the bait schools.

But your best bet is talk to the guys at the tackle store next to the BP at Airlie beach..they are all hardcore fishermen and know all the lurks..those guys really know their stuff

Get yourself a copy of 100 Magic miles (of the GBR) by David Colfelt ..... This is the bible for the Whitsundays! .... Since your on your Honeymoon & snorkle at Butterfly bay followed by a night on Hayman could be the go Back to the boat ... Is it a bare boat charter (restricted)..... Nagg

74 islands and everyone is as spectacular as the next. if it is fishing you want, in the south shaw and thomas islands are fantastic, expect trout mackos and lipper, in the north i would head up to hook and hayman is just as good option. if your super keen the reef is only 20 odd mile from hayman. the whole area but is simpley briliant, enjoy your honeymoon, and your fishing.
    cheers pal. chris

do check gbrmpa zoning maps though. there are plenty of no go zones, and reef closures coming up to.
    Last edited by cdg81; 09-09-2007 at 07:41 PM. Reason: lef out info.

Lads,

Yes, we are getting a bareboat. I am also courious what gear I should take ?? tackle wise etc.

I have fished a heap of places yet iI seem to always have the wrong gear.

Any help info would be great.

Is there a GPS book for that area etc?

Cheers

Mad.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_fisherman View Post
    Lads,

Yes, we are getting a bareboat. I am also courious what gear I should take ?? tackle wise etc.

I have fished a heap of places yet iI seem to always have the wrong gear.

Any help info would be great.

Is there a GPS book for that area etc?

Cheers

Mad.
    OK ... Thats going to limit where you can go ....... Cause I was going send you north to Armit & Double Cone Is (GR8 all round there) ... & a little secluded ....... Realistically check the GRMPA maps for zoning & charts ...... most fringing reef will have fish ! ....... Tackle wise 2 outfits (1 for throwing poppers ... preferably heavy spin .. 15kg) & a jig rod for the up & down fishing (15kg should do ... but you can still get bricked well & truly) ..... If you were going out to the reef then I'd be saying 24kg min ...... Mate also contact the Taylor Boys (Cy & Kerrin) ... Its their back yard .... & you wont find a more helpful couple of young blokes ...... I'm sure they wont mind ... Nagg