Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Unwritten law.

Unwritten law.

I'll make this short. Is it an unwritten law, that when an angler catches a fish beside you, do you have to retrieve your line in or do you not. I think when someone hooks a fish next to you, you should pull it strait away.

But some people don't!

Minno

Re: Unwritten law.

If your fishing with a mate on a boat its common courtesy i ask if you want to up the other lines. If its on a public jetty it very rarely happens. In fact you may even get people casting in the direction of the hooked fish..

Cheers Chris
    Last edited by bayfisher; 08-09-2007 at 08:34 PM.

It is a sad fact that some people just don't give a sh!t. Like bayfisher says it should be common courtesy.

Dave.
    Avast ye matey!

Hows it going guys

On my boat it depends on how much fight the fish is giving if doesnt put up much of a fight i dont see the point of bringing in all lines

Cheers
    Russ
    Last edited by russ81; 08-09-2007 at 08:40 PM.

"Unwritten Laws" start to change when you are fishing shoulder to shoulder on the beach. If my line is in the path of another angler's line who has hooked up, i will always retrieve. But won't if it isn't impeding him pulling the fish in whatsoever. Otherwise you become unpopular pretty quickly, especially when there is a good tailor run on.

It really depends how far apart you are fishing on the beaches or rocks though.

cheers

rockfisho

Like russ said, if it's not kicking up a stink I don't bother unless they need me to net it. But if it's putting up some fight I'll pull my line in, grab the net or camera etc...
    Joel
    Fishing for the thrill, not for the kill

Yes, same as Russ, but definitely err on the side of courtesy...if in doubt, get the other lines out of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by rockfisho View Post
    "Unwritten Laws" start to change when you are fishing shoulder to shoulder on the beach. If my line is in the path of another angler's line who has hooked up, i will always retrieve. But won't if it isn't impeding him pulling the fish in whatsoever. Otherwise you become unpopular pretty quickly, especially when there is a good tailor run on.

It really depends how far apart you are fishing on the beaches or rocks though.

cheers

rockfisho
    Yes with tailor fishing, it cant be helped and in a boat. But there,s nothing worse than too loose a fish through line burn.

Fishing at jetties has to be the only place where people dont move. Do they think they wont get tangle! Gesssss.

Minno

Quote Originally Posted by Chas & Clarry View Post
    Yes, same as Russ, but definitely err on the side of courtesy...if in doubt, get the other lines out of the way.
    I totally agree. I have seen knifes pulled on the LBG scene. Its better to pull the lines in and get out of the way. Plus! you get to watch someone battle a nice fish in.

Minno

after barra fishing for a week with no fish all im thinking is which foot i should use to kick my mate off the front deck

hahaha

i also agree with russ.it really does depend on what the fish is doing and where the fish is.
    when my mates and i go fishing off the jetty here and a big one is hooked it is all lines in and work out how to get the fish up??

Minno You would by chance be back on this site under a assumed name to "Tunaman", as your posting with the same Tack ???? and the same post inquiries ??????
    regards

Quote Originally Posted by cammo79 View Post
    after barra fishing for a week with no fish all im thinking is which foot i should use to kick my mate off the front deck

hahaha

You get those days.

Minno

My old grandad had the solution for people fishing too close whether it was on the wall or on the beach.
    He used to smoke pretty heavily and if a line was close enough he's touch it with his smoke. No more problems
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

I think it depends on the fish you have hooked and the species you are targeting and where you are fishing. mackeral tuna snapper those which run hard then yes bring all lines in. Whiting bream flathead those which pull just a bit no. Public spaces eg jetties no because you are less likley to get the large fish.