Thread: Pumping Yabbies at the 'Pin

Pumping Yabbies at the 'Pin

A question for the experienced 'Pin experts, please....

I thought that I might do a bit of drifting around the 'Pin for flatties next Thursday morning if the the weather forecast holds....

The tides on that day are as follows...

What do you reckon would be the latest time in the morning that I would need to be there to pump some yabbies, please? The morning high is not real big. Would I be safe in getting on the water at 6 am and still finding yabbies, please?

Re: Pumping Yabbies at the 'Pin

The bank (position x) should provide 100 yabbies in 15 minutes on that tide but don't be too late as it floods very quickly. If you arrive at the sandbank not later than 6.30am you should be okay but only just.

The sand bank is due north of Millionaire's Row, east of Crusoe Island and is the bank just to the north of a small channel leading into the lagoon area on South Stradbroke.

You don't have to get into that small channel and can anchor on the sand bank on the Crusoe Island side of it.

Good luck and hope you have a nice time.
    Last edited by tigermullet; 07-09-2007 at 04:32 PM.

Thanks mate.

With a moniker like "Tigermullet", you have just gotta be an expert on the area.

Many thanks.

North of the jetty on Tabby Tabby island should go good at that time of day.

The banks marked Mid - Low tide might be your best bet at 6am

Don't know of any others

Monday's looking pretty good as well for fishing gentleman's hours around the bay.
    Tides all wrong though for yabba-dabba-do's
    If I didn't have another appointment on Thursday I reckon I would have found you somewhere and 'borrowed' some of your yabbi's
    Looks like a nice day with the tides all good to go
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Quote Originally Posted by finga View Post
    Monday's looking pretty good as well for fishing gentleman's hours around the bay.
    Tides all wrong though for yabba-dabba-do's
    If I didn't have another appointment on Thursday I reckon I would have found you somewhere and 'borrowed' some of your yabbi's
    Looks like a nice day with the tides all good to go

I am taking an old boss of mine fishing on Thursday.

He is the one who is going to pump the yabbies.

Hey Charlie,

When you're pumping them, take the time to have a look at their claw and see how many have the predominant claw on the left hand side as opposed to the right hand side.

It's a fact. I've seen it for myself. People have ridiculed me for my observations, but it's true. You truly do get left handed and right handed ones. Try it.

Anyway, it's no big deal, but I thought I'd just draw your attention to it.

On another note and another post of yours; "foibles?" Foibles, you say Charlie?

You had me reaching for the Oxford Pocket on that one Charlie.

Take care,

TOL

where are planning on launching the boat Charlie?

just north of cabbage tree there is a great bank that will be fine at the time mentioned for pumping yabbies.
    ... i only work to support my fishing addiction.....

Quote Originally Posted by theoldlegend View Post
    When you're pumping them, take the time to have a look at their claw and see how many have the predominant claw on the left hand side as opposed to the right hand side.

It's a fact. I've seen it for myself. People have ridiculed me for my observations, but it's true. You truly do get left handed and right handed ones. Try it.

Anyway, it's no big deal, but I thought I'd just draw your attention to it.L

Well ya got me TOL. I shall commission my old boss to count them on Thursday.

Quote Originally Posted by theoldlegend View Post
    On another note and another post of yours; "foibles?" Foibles, you say Charlie?

You had me reaching for the Oxford Pocket on that one Charlie.

As long as you weren't foibling with the pocket billiards, my old mate.

Quote Originally Posted by longtail View Post
    where are planning on launching the boat Charlie?

just north of cabbage tree there is a great bank that will be fine at the time mentioned for pumping yabbies.
    Thanks Longtail - I am planning to launch from Jacob's Well. I am just a creature of habit on this as I normally fish solo and Cabbage Tree is a bit tricky to do a solo retrieve when the wind is unkind so now whenever I think of going to the 'Pin, I just think of Jacob's Well. I used to go there heaps once but I only get there about once a year now. Fishing out of Manly is a lot closer for me and more of a lottery in terms of what can be caught than at the 'Pin. The 'Pin is sure a beautiful place to fish mid-week though. A mongrel of a place on weekends, however. Thanks for the info, though.

In fact, thanks to all of the contributions re where and when for yabbies around the area. That was a really great response. Thanks fellas.
    Last edited by charleville; 08-09-2007 at 11:32 PM.

Will also be out there chaseing a big flathead or 2 on plastic, am in a 435 hornet trophy with 50 yammy 4 stroke tiller that has TTlures stickers on it, and Ausfish stickers up the bow.If you see us come over and say g'day.
    Cheers Ian

So Did You Catch A Fish Mate??????????

Tigermullet ... I'm after the same info re yabbies. haven't fished the pin for a couple of years. Can you give me a heads up as well?
    Thanks,
    wassa

I don't think I've seen a bank down the Pin that doesn't hold yabbies.
    If there's 2 of you going take a plastic sive so you can still pump with a fair bit of water over the bank.
    ~~~><))))*>