Thread: Overwhelmed with Spam

Overwhelmed with Spam

Not wishing to ruffle feathers here, but is there a connection between spamers and my email address on AF? It seems the more active I am on the site, the more spam comes my way. Is this just a coincidence?

Can I replace my present email address with another, perhaps a hotmail account? Would that help the situation?

It's at the stage where I now need to look for a filter.

Really sorry if I'm making the wrong connection.

cheers roz.
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

Re: Overwhelmed with Spam

Hi Roz,

I use a free program called AD-Aware ( link below ) that I run every second day to get rid of Tracking Cookies and Data Miners. These are the terms that are used by the software and not too sure of thier status. I find that by utilizing this software it does keep down the spammers and unwanted emails to a minimum.

There are a number of other free software programs available and I also run a Spy-Doctor to do a similar job as Ad-aware.

Steve will probably help you more with this as I know how annoying the unwanted emails are.

here's the link. just click on the free download of follow the instructions,, fairly easy .

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

Cheers Phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Your E-mail address is free from E-mail harvesting programs on the site, unless you post your E-mail address in a post. Like the one used for the Tipping Comp.

If you send your E-mail address via PM to someone then it could be harvested at there end if they are infected with a virus/trojan. Or if they add your E-mail address to their address book and are infected.

So it could be happening from a couple of different sources and be as a result of using the site but not because of the site. If that makes sense.

Hi roz,
    I had the same problem on another forum.
    Changing your email address on the old post or forum will not stop the spam. Once they have your address, they will multiply. They even form lists to sell to other spammers.

A good filter is one option. I use spambot to remove cookies as well as run Trend micro pc cillin antivirus.

If you must use your email in a post, then the best defence is to 'code' your email in a post on a forum
    eg- andrew (at) hotmail (dot) com "remove brackets to reply"

This tip worked well for me on other forums.

cheers
    Andrew

I had the same problem, as have others, absolutly it was Ausfish email as the cause, the only way is to either get rid of it altogether which I did or download yet more programs to deal with this cretinous stuff.

If you leave your NOTIFICATION email address as the one you need to protect, it will never ever stop.

Mine has slowed, like a tidal wave how fast it started once the new mail system started, before that it was great.

cheers fnq

get a macintosh hardly ever any problems with spam/viruses, i havent had one spam to my new home email account for last 3 months

mike

im with you aigutso