Thread: Fishing off Cairns

Question Fishing off Cairns

Hi all, recently moved up here, just to the west of Cairns, and was wondering if anyone could give some ideas of where to go for a fish on the weekend. Will have the wife and kids aboard so 30 ks out to the reef is not an option this time. The where abouts of some local wrecks or close in reef within 10 ks would be great and if it blows up a bit, what about some areas from the trinity harbour back up the inlet. Will be happy to try and catch anything, but some starting points or local info would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Re: Fishing off Cairns

Im heading up in a fortnight aswell! Puttin in me notice today.. Should catch up over a beer and suss out these barra if your wanting to get into them?

Donnan

Hi Joremhar, have you seen the North Australian Fishfinder magazine? Check it out at the newsagent, bit expensive but the quality is there, full colour aerial pics of the region around here (and elsewhere), boatramps, coordinates some are pretty badly done and will fall somewhere within 0.3km.

Fully recommend it, great resource to get you started.

Also the Fishing Cairns website (google it) and Branfords (sp) tackle have a neat little booklet and are a helpfully bunch with some good fishing gear.

cheers fnq

Thanks for the replies fellas, I guess I'll just have to get out there and find my own little spots. The book sounds good FNQ, will have to pop down to the newsagency and have a look for it. FNQ, how has the fishing been of late, is there much happening. Thanks

Fishing is slow, which is not unusual for me but others say the same this time around, I have another 20min before my alarm goes of to get up for a trip to the reef, hate that - not the trip bit .

Think the problem with your Q is the family, the wind this time of year makes it hard to give family fishing advice, you could put in at Yorkys then head north to the island 10km away, thre is some basic reef close or travel north east-ish for another 8km from the island and join eveyone fishing a wreck. It can get lumpy out there.

The Barron river is a nice sheltered stretch which my family at times pack a picnic and head toward the mouth and pull the boat up on the sand on the southern bank then fish from shore.
    Anchor for a fish near the runway landing lights for an hour to give the family a thrill, not a fish thrill, passenger jets. Be mindfull of crocs.

Trinity is probably the best bet for doing a cruise and fish, lots of water with litterally thousands of spots if a person also heads up the creeks, a sight see along the harbour looking at all the boats and man made stuff is ok also.

Cheers, going fishing now.

fnq

Quote Originally Posted by joremhar View Post
    Hi all, recently moved up here, just to the west of Cairns, and was wondering if anyone could give some ideas of where to go for a fish on the weekend. Will have the wife and kids aboard so 30 ks out to the reef is not an option this time. The where abouts of some local wrecks or close in reef within 10 ks would be great and if it blows up a bit, what about some areas from the trinity harbour back up the inlet. Will be happy to try and catch anything, but some starting points or local info would be greatly appreciated. thanks.
    Evening Joremhar,

I'll try PM you some Google Earth bookmarks which may be of help to you; hope that I haven't given anyones Spot X away (unlikely)

If nothing else, it should be a good pointer for you to get started with some fish

If nothing else, like FNQ advised the Bransfords book and North Australian Fish Finder are good spots to start. The guys at Bransfords are a great resource and I can't recommend them enough.

Everything that FNQ has advised I can vouch for; the Barron though I think is something that you have to learn to fish and has it's own special traits...
    Regards,

Andrew.
    =============
    W: www.agt.id.au
    M: 0410 834 486

Sorry Joremhar, can't PM them

If you PM me your email address I'll send them that way
    Regards,

Andrew.
    =============
    W: www.agt.id.au