Thread: best way to attach backing and leader to fly line

best way to attach backing and leader to fly line

Hi guys,

I'm a rank amateur when it comes to saltwater fly - picked up a new fly line recently and i'm just wondering how to best rig up my outfit - don't want to lose the fly line because it cost me a packet!!

It's a 7 weight line, looking to chase little mackerel, tailor, bream - light estuary/bay stuff.

How do i attach the backing to the fly line ?
    How do i attach a leader to the fly line ?

Appreciate any help,

Thanks.

Re: best way to attach backing and leader to fly line

I attached the backing to fly line by an Albright Knot. Got some Braided loops to attach to the fly line, then just tie on the leader to the loops, that way you don't cut your fly line, just cut of leaders and re-tie. As to the name of the knot i use for the leader, i don't know, picked it up somewhere?

Hope this helps.

Hi Dooley,
    I am using braid as my backing. On the business end of my backing I tie a Bimini Twist. This knot retains 100% of your lines strength. I make the loop large enough to pass a full spooled fly line thriugh if required. On the reel end of the fly line I fix a braided loop. Make sure you whip the end of the braided loop to the fly line to secure it properly. Have a chat to the people at fishhead tackle or your local fly shop as some braided loops are better quality than others.
    This setup allows for a simple loop to loop change out should you wish to swap out fly lines. On the business end of the fly line goes another braided loop. A twisted leader is made up from mono or fluro carbon. The Loop end of the leader simply loops on to the braided loop. This also allows for easy leader change out on the water. There are no doubt many other way of comming up with the same result. This one has worked well for me.

Jeff

If your not using braided loops.A nail knot will do the job.Can be a bit tricky to tie though.Ben