Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No tear onion chopping

No tear onion chopping

I just learned a pretty good tip that takes the sting out of chopping onions. You take two candles and set one to either side of the onion on the chopping board. The vapor that gets released from the onion gets sucked into the flames of the candles and you don't get your eyes burned. I just tried it and it seemed to work quite well. The candles I used were about 8 inches tall. Hope this helps.

EC
    "When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.-- Mark Twain"

Re: No tear onion chopping

hhmm might try that, we have a BBQ at work every month and I usually get to be the one who cuts up 2KG of Onions and I will try anything to stop the tears.

The best way that I have found to stop the teary eyes is to put the onions into the fridge, that way the vapor is in a liquid form and dosn't get into the eyes
    Aussiefool
    Andrew

I sort of do the AussieFool thing but actually put them in the freezer for a while cause I am a "Tim the Toolman" fan and want more power!

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

Sounds and looks silly but it works, stick a spoon in your mouth upside down (with the bit that holds the food on your tongue does that make sense?) keep mouth closed and chop yourself silly with no tears involved!

Cheers and Beers
    Scott
    "Mystique" Haines Signature 580BR with 175 of Mr Suzuki's finest ponies

Mate! its breathing through your nose that causes the tears.

Minno

Some ineresting and unusual methods there, here's another one. Wear a snorkling mask or swimming goggles, anything that protects your eyes works for me. Again you look like a dick, but a dick with no tears!

Here,s an even easier one. Just get the boss to do it. hehehe.

minno

Mino is on to it.

Do not breath through your nose. To do this you will need to put a peg on your nose because it is near impossible to do it otherwise. Just swallowing you can inhale enough to set you off.

The onion vapour gets to the olfactory gland that is located at the roof of your nasal cavity and sets you off.

Failing that, use brown onions, you will get a lesser reaction to them. Will still set you off but you can get a lot more cut before you react.

OK, how about if you, wear a mask and snorkle, and stand on one leg, close one eye and hop up and down, that must do something!! I reckon I might just go for the candles first off, before i put on my wetsuit and stuff.

Noelm! LOL I would pay to see that.

Minno

teatowel on the shoulder seems to work quite well
    "light gear big fish big fun"

I just break out my K-Tel onion chopper and stick my copy of "Ripper '72*" on the record player

*also available on 8-track
    Last edited by Owen; 07-09-2007 at 06:54 PM.
    Cheers,
    Owen

The whole world's mad save thee & me (but I'm not too sure about thee)

Use brown onions and use a SHARP!!!!!! knife. Squashing and bruising is what releases most of the vapour
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

The only part of an onion that will give you tears is the centre core. Pop this out and bin it then chop all day long with no tears.