Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: No tear onion chopping

Re: No tear onion chopping

Hot Tip,

Hold a mouthfull of water in your mouth while you unpeel and cut up.

NEVER seen anyone bust a tear doing it this way.

Thats how young chefs get used to it.

OK then lets recap, mask and snorkle, tea towel over shoulder, sharp knife, mouth full of water, a candle each side, stand on one leg (my idea) an onion with no centre, a sharp knife, jesus by the time you got ready the onion would be off or it would be too late for dinner.

take it like a man and just cut the bloody thing!!!!

hhhmm that sounds like a plan!

Now I was a chef in my last life for over 20 yrs, This one Time At Catering Camp!!!!!
    I had to slice a whole Pallete of onions, yes thats about 25 bags from memory. Anyway I was to slice them on a meat slicer like you see at the deli or the butcher. I just wore a pair of swimming (pool) goggles, breathed through my mouth and nose on 2 legs with a tea towl over my shoulder and one tucked into my apron. it's all about eye protection folks, But I hear if you take a left handed chicken on a dark and stormy night......... and ..........well thats another story.

Here's a little tip for getting the smell of onions (And garlic!) off your hands after chopping them.... In a stainless steel sink, run the cold water, and rub your wet hands all over the "smelly" areas on the stainless sink.

You can actually buy stainless steel soap too (a chunk of metal in a soap shape)

It sounds silly, but it does work. The metal has a reaction with the odour producing microbes, and it all goes away.

Agree with Horse, use a SHARP knife. I have a couple of good knives which i get professionally sharpened every few months (i do it in between) and I never have onion tears. Go around to a freinds place and help cut up onions and my eyes are like taps.

I like the idea of the LP "Ripper 72" I must be getting old cuz I can remember that.

Hmmmm....I always get the job of chopping the onions. But then I am anal about using sharp knives, and i wear glasses. (I also suffer from sinusitis so constantly breathe through my mouth). Maybe there is some truth in all the above mentioned theories....another theory I heard from a chef was to hold a half slice of bread between your teeth...though havent tried that one as i dont have the problem.

Greg

Take one glass of water and 1 tablespoon of cement, Mix together by stirring for
    2 minutes then drink and harden the f&@# up

Mad
    Grow old disgracefully

Am I the only one that can block their sinus voluntarily so as to avoid any fumes making their way up the nasal passage?

Quote Originally Posted by Chamelion View Post
    Am I the only one that can block their sinus voluntarily so as to avoid any fumes making their way up the nasal passage?

Nah my missus has become pretty good at that

Why don't you guys just buy pre chopped onion

Saves all the hassel

Hi Guys

I just cut one up. No tears. The start of green tomatoe pickle / diced red tomato and beef mince sauce to be genorously drizzled over a bed of rice and garnished with a liberal dose of green peas. You gotta have a bit of contrasting colour!

Just pop em in the freezer for an hour or so before cutting it. (The onion that is)

Whats the fuss about ............. easy

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

We also have bbq's at work.

Life's become very easy since someone discovered pre sliced onions in the freezer section.......

They fry up just the same too.