Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hichenbrook\lucinda GTs??

hichenbrook\lucinda GTs??

Hi all im heading back up to lucinda in two months and was after any good spots to pop some monster gts up, after last years trip getting the fingermark we were after this year we want to try and target big GTs we have boats so were not stuck on the shore, and help would be good.cheers.

Re: hichenbrook\lucinda GTs??

on a trip about 5 years ago we saw some monster GT's around cape richards, we returned 2 years ago and there were none there. it was too rough and windy at the time to target any of the other headlands but i reckon that's your best bet, hit the headlands around the outside of the island, i'd certainly try around that little island off the north east, close to the main island should be a good haunt for GT's. also goold island might be worth a shot. no shortage of headlands to try thats for sure!! good luck i'm jealous!

Hey mate i don't know where to look inshore but if you got a big enough boat and the weather permits get some big poppers on a decent rod and head out to the palms or the out a bit further if you can get there. Try get close to the reefs through the lures out above the bomies and pull back in as quick as you can and hold on. Havn't tryed this myself but i know people that do and i've seen it done looks like a lot of fun. good luck hope you get some

If your luck and they're on the chew you can get some monsters out at the end of the sugar jetty. Tough fishing, especially trying to pull them out before they bust you off on the pylons. High speed retrieve with slices will work for ya. Aslo SP's should land a few.

Just got back from Lucinda and got sweet FA. The place wasn't really firing yet.
    I admit I was there a month or 2 too early though.

Still a great place to sit back and unwind.

The open ocean side of Trunk and Britomart have always been good to me. You DO need a good calm day for that obviously. Added bonus of the odd very large Trout too.

sugar loader, have seen them free swimming, some monsters, 60-70 pounders, there the size of car bonnets, fortunally have never hooked one, but they are there, if weather permits but the weather face of britomart or otter is productive.

I know this is around the other side of Hinchinbrook however Kennedy Shoals often has them. I got smashed on light baitcaster gear (stupid me using 8kg mono) on a 20kg + specimen and he/she was only one in a small school. Was around this time of year too.

mikeyh,
    yeh, did the same at Otter Reef a coupla years back at M&G. Blew away about 1/2 adozen poppers. Just chug them through the water as violently and eratically as you can. They'll soon turn up! Beware the burning thumbs. If you can get them in before they find the reef you're doing better than I did. Beats me how Snelly got them in on fly! (I was too close to the reef to have any chance with braid) They were always in pairs and the pressure waves off the front of them as they came in with their backs half outta the water had to be seen to be believed.
    Last edited by nonibbles; 04-09-2007 at 09:36 PM.
    Any fishing is good fishing (should probably say Any fishing is...probably going to be illegal soon)

Quote Originally Posted by JRJR View Post
    Just got back from Lucinda and got sweet FA. The place wasn't really firing yet.
    I admit I was there a month or 2 too early though.

Still a great place to sit back and unwind.
    timing is everything ...... & when its a 5000km round trip .... you wanna get it right (so mid Oct is my pick) .... Nagg

Hey no nibbles,
    hit it in one.. they were swimming in pairs like you said and my mate said...quick - here they come and so I cast with this small baitcaster and a 6" minnow, got about 3 turns on the reel and off it went. Lost about 300m of line in 90secs, burnt my thumb thought I had turned it when I could see the spool...got about 10 pumps onto the reel (probably line stretch) and it took off again even faster. It was hilarious

Ausfish Platinum Member whiteman's Avatar

The sunken trawler about 5nm due east of Zoe. Follow anyone going to the reef and you see 2-3 boats on top of it. A well known spot for GTs and spotties.

Reading this thread has got me wishing that I was towing my old 5.35 reef raider CC up rather than my 480 Hornet THEN AGAIN .... I still may encounter a VW size one out at the loader .... On a recon trip back in Sept 2005 .... I saw one the size of a drum smashing into a school of Tarpon off the jetty upriver of the Dungeness ramp ..... WHOOO HOOO ... nagg

Quote Originally Posted by whiteman View Post
    The sunken trawler about 5nm due east of Zoe. Follow anyone going to the reef and you see 2-3 boats on top of it. A well known spot for GTs and spotties.
    Is this spot marked on the charts ? ... Nagg

Thanks to everyone for the info i have a good idea now, we should get a good size gt if we put in the hours and if not we can always fall back onto the fingermark, last year we seen 60-80 pounders swiming around with the sharks eating them scad fish or mad fish chucked some poppers at em but no hook ups and that was around the sugar loader.