Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NUCLEAR CHICKEN ! what the ?? put me out of my missery

NUCLEAR CHICKEN ! what the ?? put me out of my missery

Ive seen the ( NUCLEAR CHICKEN ) in some threads and i assume its a soft plastic of some sort i am a game fisherman so you will have to excuse my ignorance.

as some one with limited experience with plastics and has only caught flathead and bass on plastics can some one tell me what the bloody hell a nuclear chicken is .

is this the brand ?

is this a colour ?

what do you fish for with these ?

where do they work best ?

Some one help please

cheers Peter

Re: NUCLEAR CHICKEN ! what the ?? put me out of my missery

Its a new breed of faster growing featherless red and green chicken, Inghams have breed for KFC.
    regards

LOL WEBBY! And they glow in the dark too...

Peter, the Nuclear Chicken is a colour of a SP. These come in the Berkley Gulp range from 2" shrimps to 7" Jerk Shads. Seem to be the colour of choice at the moment on the Bay Snaps. As WEBBY graphically described, they are (fluro) green on the top half and red on the bottom half... oh, and they are featherless

Hope this helps!

Take Care T
    Last edited by T1; 04-09-2007 at 10:37 AM.
    home is where the loan is...
    Helping people get the RIGHT Home Loan

G'day Peter

Ahh the nuclear chicken story.

I'd understand it originates when Berkeley developed a pheremone scented synthetic/plastic bait that is threaded onto a weighted jig head.

The Nuke chook began in a colour pattern called electric chicken. It didn't go off in the states, but worked well here.

Berkeley redeveloped the colour using glo in the dark colours of iridescent green and hot pink, tested it in the states and it worked well there, so they have now introduced that colour pattern in aus.

We've been using the nuke chook since late last year in a 7" Jerk Shad. Latey we've been braining the snapper, AJ and reefies on that pattern.

There are a number of different styles, 5" grubs with a long tail, 5" swimming shads which are a berkeley variant style of a paddle tail and 7" & 5" jerk shads.

There are other styles available, but these ones I mentioned are most suited to our style of off shore applications

We predominantly fish them in 50-80 mts of water on 1 oz - 1 1/2 oz jig head, cast them out, work the bait through the watter column with a series of short jigs, then slowly jig them and work them back to the boat.

We size the jig head according to water depth and current using lighter jig heads in shallower water

The old electric Chicken has been re-released in Australia as lime tiger.

The other colours that are really a variation around the hot pink/ green are Camo, lime tiger, mango ripple.

The gear I'm using is a Rapala Braid Concept rod 6-12kg, with a penn liveliner slammer 460l, loaded with 15kg sufix performance braid and 40lb fluro leader.

My other outfit is a 7' Penn Pro Guide 3-5kg with a 4000 Penn affinity loaded with 15lb suffix performance and 20 lb fluro leader.

Swano uses lighter gear. A 7' Penn Tournament Pin Point 3-5kg with a 4000 Penn affinity and 8lb sufix performance, 12 lb vanish leader, and his other outfit is a 7' Penn Pro Guide 3-5kg with a 4000 Penn affinity and 10 lb sufix performance with 15lb vanish leader.

It is a different aspect of our sport and an absolute hoot, particularly on lighter gear, with screaming drags! I've been done over on my Rapala outfit a number of times by unstoppables

hope this helps explain some of this new technology and phenomena
    Cheers

Rhys
    Last edited by revs57; 04-09-2007 at 11:34 AM.

Hi Monostretcho.
    Answers to your questions -
    the brand is Berkeley Gulps
    the colour is indeed 'nuclear chicken', or flouro green and red to us common folk
    fish for snapper and other reefies
    personally I've only used them to 30m

I use the 7" version on a threadline snapper outfit running 30lb fireline with a 50lb platy platinum trace 3m long.
    Snapper seem to find them very interesting.......

As a hardened bait user, they to date have only played second fiddle, but great fun to play around with while waiting for one of the drifting baits to 'take off'.
    All my snapper fishing is done drifting lightly or un-weighted baits in a burley stream, I fish the chooks on 5/8oz TT jigheads into the burley stream but closer to the boat so as to avoid tangling with the baits, which are usually further out.
    My larger fish to date have always fallen to bait, but the placcies are certainly more 'hands-on', and a ball to use.
    Cheers and give'em a go, they are adictive, but!
    Last edited by nigelr; 04-09-2007 at 10:59 AM.

Peter I keep my head in the sand over new stuff as 9/10 it's same ol, same ol, have had my head yanked toward daylight over these NCs, plan to survey a little longer, have searched the net - no good pics found, I visit the tacckle shops only when I have to but plan to take a look next time if any are in stock..they seem popular.

I understand they are just a slightly different shape with another variation in colour over other soft plastics that are around...but still that is just an assumption.

cheers fnq
    Last edited by FNQCairns; 04-09-2007 at 11:15 AM.

I'd love a job naming lures. I'm sure they drag people out of ward 10 b and say "What would you call this one ? uh huh, uh huh. got it, and how about this one?"
    I think I might buy my soft plastics based purely on the creativeness of the name
    from now on. Sounds more impressive when someone asked you what you caught it on, and you shoot back with....got it on a multi tailed wiffle glitter banger in transexual pumpkin cutter. the look on their face would be priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by Little grey men View Post
    I'd love a job naming lures. I'm sure they drag people out of ward 10 b and say "What would you call this one ? uh huh, uh huh. got it, and how about this one?"
    I think I might buy my soft plastics based purely on the creativeness of the name
    from now on. Sounds more impressive when someone asked you what you caught it on, and you shoot back with....got it on a multi tailed wiffle glitter banger in transexual pumpkin cutter. the look on their face would be priceless.
    I'd love the job of owning shares in these Plastics companies! Must be worth an absolute mint!
    The old saying stands very true still - "Fishing tackle catches Fishermen, not Fish"

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Little grey men View Post
    LOL.that would be priceless

Yeah Dave,

I used to think that lures, lure fishermen not fish. But I saw Swano and Birdy pull more fish with SP's than i was getting with bait over a long period, and that is good fresh bait, over the past 2 years and that's what got me to a point of having a go. I was very much like Scott, (FNQ Cairns) pretty skeptical about the whole thing, but when you see fish consistently caught on these things and then give it a go and you start getting in on it, it makes a believer out of you.

I still float pillies and do the bait thing, but I've added the SP thing as another string in my bow.

Cheers

Rhys

look here, the first pic is a nuke chook jerkshad.

They're a bit dear if you buy them in the tackle shops at around $11 per pack. Try looking on the net for them. Mo Tackle regularly have them for cheaper than that.

Heard they're radio active as well.

TOL

Looking at a bulk order, best price so far is just over $7 a packet.

A pic from my first attempt Saturday morning, these things rock !!! Snapper, Pearlies, Cobia and a host of others epecies lov em !
    Great fun to play with while waiting for the floaters to go off.

Cheers
    Craigie.

Quote Originally Posted by webby View Post
    Its a new breed of faster growing featherless red and green chicken, Inghams have breed for KFC.
    regards
    do you want plutonium fries with that ???