Thread: Fiji for honeymoon anyone been

Fiji for honeymoon anyone been

Yes the day is near but already am worried about what rod and reel combo to take with me. I have a lovley missus who has let me take the fishing gear( she must be the one).
    Going to be at place called Tokoriki Island and have no idea what to expect land based. Am considering taking Gloomis 8 foot spin 15-25lb with penn 8000 loaded with 20lb braid. Plenty of lures and terminal tackle.

Anyone been before and what sort of fishing can I expect..

Re: Fiji for honeymoon anyone been

I had part of my honeymoon at tokoriki 2 years ago.

Tokoriki Island is a beautiful place, (10min boat trip from where Castaway was filmed). It is not however, in my opinion, very suited for land based fishing. There is a shallow reef that runs almost completely around the island then drops off to an average of 25 to 30m at the ledge. The reef flat is probably 150m wide in most places. I don't remember there being much in the way of targetable fish in this zone.

I suggest you concentrate your efforts on your wife, snorkeling and diving and eating plenty. The snorkeling and diving are first class, but get away from the resort a little as they have a septic seapage problem which has caused a significant algae bloom directly in from of the resort - very disappointing.

If you have a boat however, things would obviously change…. On one of my dives I watched a very large Spanish mackerel cruise slowly overhead…….awesome 40 ft down.

Oh, and watch the drinks prices, this resort ain't cheap.....

mate checkout page 5 in general chat section,(where to stay and fish in fiji) this may help . all i can say is im jealous as hell loved every minute i had in fiji on my honeymoon youll love the place. cheers bdowdy

Most islands are shallow coral, then a drop off, not suitable for LB. You should be able to hire a boat at similar rates to home. Fishing is good with a boat, except I copped a week of bad weather. Have fun.

Andrew

We stayed on the coral coast and I managed to have a fish on a 20ft centre console one day by myself and only the driver/decky. The weather was foul. Still managed to get a nice spaniard up to the side of the boat before a mis-gaff and caught another little mackerel.

We went to Matangi (off Taveuni) and it was superb. I caught some small trevally on lures over the sand/weed flats but like gecko says, hire a boat (although the cost wasnt like here - pretty exy). We got trevally trolling and got smashed by some good GTs on poppers I did a lot of scuba diving and saw some big GTs however it was a bit sad that there werent too many fish at all...(although coral superb)apparantly selling fish is about the only way locals on the outer island can supplement their income.
    If you get a chance to go out on a panga, go4it....but I would get some heavier braid (50lb is poss)..otherwise the gear you are thinking about sounds fine...not that you will even be thinking about fishing
    have a fat time............lucky bugger

Will check out general thanks for replys I am sure that the fishing there would be better than the mouth of Brissy river land based. The best thing about honeymoon is that when I get back Our FISHER Maxi 600 will be ready to hit the water with me still on holidays, so yep lovin the honeymoon. My wife to be is also looking forward to coming back from Fiji and spending a few nights on the western side of Morton Island.

I thought that fiji was the capital for big GT...