View Poll Results: Do would wind with your left or right hand?

Voters
355. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am right handed and wind with my right hand

207 58.31%
  • I am right handed and wind with my left hand

84 23.66%
  • I am left handed and wind with my left hand

4 1.13%
  • I am left handed and wind with my right hand

32 9.01%
  • Doesn't worry me - I am very talented and can wind with either hands!

28 7.89%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Right or left handed winding?

Re: Right or left handed winding?

How many people have had an occurence that the fish has struck and you have been alert to the strike but have been changing hands and actually missed the fish after a cast?? In my 35+ yrs of fishing and in some of the hottest bites anyone has seen I am yet to miss that fish due to a changeover. I think not being alert to a strike or bite happening is the number 1 reason why we miss them. This crap about those microseconds is rediculous, fish how you feel comfortable not how anyone else says is better.

Jack.

Was just watching a spinning video and a thaught came to me.

If you were using an egg beater for spinning........ not fiddling about serious wind like b&$@#Y spinning.

Regardless of how you fish otherwise would you be better off winding with your dominant hand? seeing as how the winding as fast as you cant is the main game.

I'm still thinking about it.

With my level of fitness If I went out for a serious days spinning I wold problay have to change over half way thru the day to give the other arm a go.

Cheers

I Bought a left handed TLD15 Shimano.

It wasnt till i took out on my boat and had the first hook up( fish that is) that i realised i needed a left handed one.

called around and only a couple of comnpanies
    make left handed reels( not cheap either)

so stuck woith this reel for the time being

I have just recently changed over from right to left hand wind. I went out all yesterday retrieving with my left. Initially, it felt extremely unusual and awkward, but after 7 hours of flicking soft plastics, it began to feel second nature. I found that I was able to cast so many more times as I didn't have to waste time changing hands after the cast.

I must admit though, I still will cast with my right and retrieve with my right as I have a whole heap of baitcast gear that is all right hand retrieve, and it is even more difficult to cast with my left hand.

But in terms of flicking lures with spinning gear - i say cast with your right and retrieve with your left.

I still cast with my right and retrieve with right if I fish bait casters.

im left handed and cast spinning rods with my left hand and swap over to wind with my left hand after the cast. however i cast with my left hand on a baitcaster and then can begin retrieval immediatly because the baitcast reel is right hand wind. i feel that i can cast much better using my left arm however winding doesnt worry me either way

I wind on the right as well. I guess it wouldn't matter really though. Just used to it after all these years.

Poodroo

He who aims at nothing is sure to hit it.

Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post
    How many people have had an occurence that the fish has struck and you have been alert to the strike but have been changing hands and actually missed the fish after a cast?? In my 35+ yrs of fishing and in some of the hottest bites anyone has seen I am yet to miss that fish due to a changeover. I think not being alert to a strike or bite happening is the number 1 reason why we miss them. This crap about those microseconds is rediculous, fish how you feel comfortable not how anyone else says is better.

Jack.
    If it feels right do it anything else is a handycap

i am right handed and wind with my left leaving my strongest arm to work the rod

Right hand for me. Like others started on alvey and still can't think of a good reason to change.

I like having the rod in my right and winding left. I think the technique of subtle twiches is best done with the dominant hand, let alone the casting ease....BUT if you are used to winding right, your left hand can be just as subtle.

I'll go left, you do what you like

Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post

Jack.
    I prefer left handed when on the beach or rocks, as the rods are often too bulky to change over.

As far as light graphite's go, never had an issue changing hands... where is this "hot bite!" you speak of?

Cheers

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by DR View Post
    need stronger ( right) arm to control fish, are peoples left arms so pissweak they need to do this?? mine isn't, might be a tiny bit weaker but not enough that i can't fish with it..
    Spot on.When people say "make the rod an extension of your arm" my thoughts are..well I DO have 2 arms and my left arm is not that weak that I can't put some hurt on.I have changed sometimes to left hand winding, for example when bait fishing for finicky fish and wanting the 'instant' contact with the line without changing hands as I find my right arm to be more responsive and 'handier', pardon the pun.I prefer to wind fast with my right arm.

Darren

I once tried changing over to left hand wind to improve my light lure bream fishing. Most of my mates fish that way now but I just can't seem to master it, I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.
    ~~~><))))*>

People have a different level of dominance in their hands......there are those who realy show no hand dominance appart from habit all the way to those who are simply useless with the non dominant hand for just about anything.

I am fortunate, althong definitely right handed, I can swing a hammer and use many other tools fairly well left handed.

cheers
    Its the details, those little details, that make the difference.

I'm right handed and used to wind right handed until I changed to lures a few years back and found myself constantly changing hands to jig with my right hand and change back so I thought I'd give left hand a try. It took a few hours to get used to it but now winding right handed feels strange.
    Even with overheads offshore I have switched to left hand wind now because I am so used to it and I like to use my strong arm to lift and my weak to wind (with the butt of the rod under my right armpit). My father in-law is right handed also uses light gear left handed but when it comes to overheads he goes back to right handed. I wish I didn't change now because left handed reels are not available in a wide range.
    I think it just comes down to how comfortable you feel in different fishing situations. Give the opposite a go for a day - if it feels more comfortable and catches more fish the decision on what hand to use will speak for itself.