Thread: Port Douglas in Oct?

Port Douglas in Oct?

G'Day Folks,
    After a number of years getting to know the west coast of SA by boat and land, and trying to do battle with whatever I could get on teh end of my line, my fishing experience is soon to widen...
    My wife and her family have booked a holiday to Pt Douglas from the middle of October. I made it quite clear that wherever we went there was going to be fishing, not necessarily with women folk and most definitely with a suitable amount of refreshments!
    Anyway we booked a charter to take us out from PD. Does anyone know what to expect at that time of year? Of course the charter mob say we'll be catching all manner of game fish (probably before we leave the marina), but I lkie to check with people that have done it before. Someone told me that game fish would be too far out at that time of year to get to on a one day charter...
    Can anyone help?
    TK

Re: Port Douglas in Oct?

Hey TK.

Reef fishing is actually pretty good this time of year, both bottom bouncing and pelagics etc. I'd be pretty sure you'll get stick into the mackeral/dolphinfish/wahoo etc on light tackle, and trout etc are biting well at the moment too. I guess it depends on who you;re on charter with but I'd be expecting a decent day for sure. There's a few other options around Port Doug too, you can hire a little pontoon boat and fish Dickson Inlet. It's cheap and easy with a chance of hooking something decent. For reference, www.fishingcairns.com is a pretty good site.

Hope that helps
    Omulloway

Re: Port Douglas in Oct?

Get a guide on the Daintree River - Barra, Jacks, Fingermark. I did it in Oct a few years ago and had a ball - can't remember the charter company though. Google Port Douglas Fishing Charters