Thread: Great keppel Island

Great keppel Island

Has anyone stayed at great keppel and can you do any fishing from the island or can you get charters to pick you up. Better still can you hire boats.
    Was thinking of taking the family in January school holidays. Cheers

Ausfish Bronze Member

Re: Great keppel Island

You can fish all around GKI except for two places that are designated green zones. These no-fish zones are located on the western side of the southeast peninsular and extend to the west to be inline (looking due south) to the northern tip of Halfway Island. The second no-fish zone is north from Monkey Point and includes the entire area of the small cove . Above that (Fishermans Beach?) it is a yellow zone. Grab a map of the green zones put out by the Qld Gov. This will show these areas in detail. The map you need is MPZ17, The Gladstone area.
    The headland called Big Peninsula is a good place to try for mackeral and other pelagics including tuna and cobia. There should be some great whiting around off the beaches and also some flathead. I dont know about boat hire either from the resort or the mainland. There are fishing charters that you can go on. The coral reefs that are found around GKI are wonderful to snorkel on. Most of these can be easily reached by swimming at low tide. There are many beautiful sea creatures there and many of these have never been identified or named. PM me for more info if you wish.
    Eagle

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
    You can fish all around GKI except for two places that are designated green zones. These no-fish zones are located on the western side of the southeast peninsular and extend to the west to be inline (looking due south) to the northern tip of Halfway Island. The second no-fish zone is north from Monkey Point and includes the entire area of the small cove . Above that (Fishermans Beach?) it is a yellow zone. Grab a map of the green zones put out by the Qld Gov. This will show these areas in detail. The map you need is MPZ17, The Gladstone area.
    The headland called Big Peninsula is a good place to try for mackeral and other pelagics including tuna and cobia. There should be some great whiting around off the beaches and also some flathead. I dont know about boat hire either from the resort or the mainland. There are fishing charters that you can go on. The coral reefs that are found around GKI are wonderful to snorkel on. Most of these can be easily reached by swimming at low tide. There are many beautiful sea creatures there and many of these have never been identified or named. PM me for more info if you wish.
    Eagle
    Cheers eagle will do that going in January

Hey Chippy

I stayed there recently. There are no boats for hire. Just keep in mind its only a 3 star resort and i don't think you will be disapointed. The rooms are clean and tidy and the staff are great. The beach front rooms are the pick of them I reckon. There are some awsome beaches within an easy walk that you can fish from and take a swim.

Its a beautiful part of the world.

Cheers and have fun

Ian
    Last edited by Ian1; 04-09-2007 at 05:40 PM.

Hey mate
    I headed up there in December last year, fished mainly on the beach directly in front of the resort at dawn and dusk, I mainly used poppers and managed a few nice queenies, the best spot to fish there was in a deep hole made by the ferries prop wash. I tried fishing Putney point, didn't manage to catch anything but saw many bust ups just beyond casting distance. I would try an organise a charter well in advance as they were booked out while I stayed there, they do not run charters directly from the Island, so you would need to organise with the character company to pick you up from the Island

cheers Daniel

There is plenty of opportunities on and around the island , There are sandworms to be caught on the spit up from the resort, for whiting and flathead all the way up and down the beach.
    The rocks down from the resort near the existing house's always hold some good bream and lipper , just check the green zoning because from those rocks around the next long section of beach is green zone called monkey beach.
    I do believe they still have small tinnies there at the resort with 6 horse's onthem but just check with the resort.
    We use to rent one of the house's over there for 3 weeks of the year and is a beautiful place.
    There is some great snorkeling there and hire is avaiable
    cheers mate
    Give me a hoy if you are up this way i'm only 20 km's from ya on the mainland
    jt
    VHF CHANNEL 21
    CALL SIGN : JT OR SC552(social club member)

There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot

I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges

Up here we Use Hussar as baits for real RED FISHS (SHSIIFDER)

The guys above have pretty much covered it, but I would also add that if you are keen enough there are hiking tracks over the island, so if you can't arrange a boat you can hike to the eastern side for your fishing fix. It just depends how keen you are. My family stayed there over last Christmas and we had a great time. Here are a few pics to look at.