Thread: lure spreads

lure spreads

hi there,
    a couple of questions about lure spreads for macks, trevally and general trolling up here in the tropics etc (not marlin). If you are (say) trolling 3 lures (no outriggers) would you recommend 1 deepdiver (LaserPro deep or similar) a shallow runner and a surface lure?? How should these be set up....close to the boat, far from the boat etc. Thanks

Mike

Ausfish Platinum Member whiteman's Avatar

Re: lure spreads

I wouldn't be too scientific about it. Just get a couple out the back and try and find some bait fish. I usually get a 5m and an 8m out there at 4 knots. I let them out about 30-40m. 3 lures is a pain as I usually troll in tight circle when I find bait. If a lure is not woking, change the colour - usually every 30 minutes. I don't get much action from surface lures like skirts.

ditto what whiteman says, just stick with two lures 1 up and one down, easyer to turn around on bait schools, just run you deepest lure on the short corner, will eliminate a heap of tangles on tight turns,
    cheers chris

Mate I dont troll much, but test your lures to see which they prefer to go. Some will want to go left and some will like to go right. But here,s a little trick. Get a lighter and heat the plastic and bend the bib. Give it a little twist. You can make your lures go where you want them to go.

Minno

Thanks guys. 2 lures it is then...
    Probably a stupid question but when you say find bait do you mean on the sounder or on the surface with birds etc. My extremely limited experience has seen any bait on the surface disappear pronto whenever I get even close...(and Im not coming in at 30 knots ) thats why I am amazed when people say just cast your lures into the working birds etc

A sounder will tell you whats down there, but it cant tell you if there biting or not.
    The little turns will indicate where the are, and its up to your skills to know what to do.

Minno