Thread: Deadsticking

Deadsticking

This is a question in relation to a couple of recent reports.

The whole plastic concept is one that still provides more questions than answers at this point in time for me. I've had a couple of good sessions chasing flatties, and also some good sessoins on undersize squire, but I'm really struggling with consistency. I've upgraded my reel and switched over to braid in the hopes of improving my presentation and I figure now I've got to invest the time into working out which technique imparts the best action to a lure when its under water.

However a couple of reports posted lately refer to using plastics with a rod set in a holder.

So how does this work? Can you just float a plastic down the burley trail, do you do this while on the drift, is this a preferred method to the more active approach of casting and retreiving, does this method work better in deeper water or is it also effective in shallowers areas like Mud & the river? Do certain types of plastic work better than others with this method?

Surely its the action of a plastic that makes it such an irrestible temptation? Surely a floated/drifted bait would produce more often than a similarly fished plastic - right? or wrong?

Re: Deadsticking

Everyday is different and you have to find out whats turning the fish on. If your going to fish a rod in rod holder you really have to be drifting this in itself imparts action on the lure as does the rocking and movement of the boat. For most of my snapper/squire fishing i use jerk shads and though these have very little action in them selves it doesn't stop fish nailing them while they are floated on the drift with the rod in the rod holder. The reason i suspect the are whacked is because they are well presented bait look a like and on the drift they are on the move and thus the fish doesn't have a whole lot of time to think about if they are "real" or not and whack them to see. Thats not to say you shouldn't work you lures, though when snapper fishing i find most pick the plastic up on the drop thus i usually only use subtle lifts and drops. Next time your fishing on the drift try one rod in the rod holder and work the other. You may every now and then drop some more line out of the one in the rod holder to drop it back a bit too. This technique will work in areas like mud/river to the deeper areas around Moreton. Give it a go you might be surprised how often the one left alone goes off. Oh and don't use too heavy a jig head on the floater you don't want the plastic plowing along the bottom and snagging up all the time but rather just floating off the bottom and or occasionally touching it (really depending where the fish are in the water column)

Cheers Chris

Hows it going guys

I have to agree with Chris most of my fish have come on the rod that had been in the rod holder including my two last PB's
    I tend to fish as light as i possibly can and let the fish hook themselves .

Russ

I have found that a critter soft plastic like a lizzard or one of the ugly weird looking things will often get more attention than a jerkbait or grub or worm as you drift along. All the little teaser bits attract attention a lot better i think.

I generally have a drifter out as well as while i am working a jerkbait casting to where im heading to.

Jack.

I tend to drift them out back and keep releasing line at times to keep them dropping back down. Weight is critical
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

When using plastic,s and drifting, I just put two lures out and go with the tide. Weight is very important. Don't forget this point! I have lazy days too, and when you have everything balanced, just sit back and wait.Flathead will just hook them selfs.

All the best.

Minno
    Last edited by minno; 03-09-2007 at 11:02 PM. Reason: spelling.

Thanks all for the input. You all seem to say that weight is crucial. So what /where should I be aiming to get a floater. I am assuming that not quite on the bottom is a good start? This could be tricky in the shallows over a reefy or rubble bottom.

Does anyone have a recomendation on a good jighead that is both very light but also has a hook big enough to do the job?

How deep are you fishing? For my shallow work i use a tt 1/8th with a 3/0 hook, It hasn't failed me yet.

Cheers Chris

BF - 8 to 10 meters out around mud, or as shallow as 2 or 3 in the river. By the way, appreciate all your responses. Benno

Mud- start with 1/4 and work up or down depending on the conditions. As BF says the trusty 1/8 in the shallows and around 1/2 in the shipping channel

Cheers

Neil
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"