Thread: queenfish

queenfish

a couple of weeks ago, i got 2 queenfish, one was 1200mm and 15 kilo and the other was 1350mm and 18 kilo, have googled the queenfish and the experts say that 1200mm is as big as they get,
    just wondering if any ausfishers have any idea how big they get, and how old do you reckon a fish this big is.
    for the record i caught the fish on poppers using 10 pound braid, was a great day got heaps of critters from bream, flatties, giant and golden trevs and dozens of small queenies.

Re: queenfish

cdg81 that is a very nice fish and would have fought good on 10 pound braid. but i have seen bigger fish caught. by the way where abouts did you get him?
    good job mate and nice fish.
    "True Blue"

Man ...what a thumper. That must have been great fun. I've never even caught a queenie but I have seen larger ones than this (but not much) diving on the Yongala..

Mike

Though I have no pictures to show of it. 2 years ago fishing in Ninian bay I landed 2-3 queenfish over 20kg that year. My scales only went up to 20kg so i cant tell you exactly how much over 20kg it was..I'd estimate around 22-23kg.
    since then my fishing mate and I at Ninian bay have caught quite a few around the 20-25kg size.. I have yet to see one pass 30kg though.. all caught on golden halco laser pro lures. 50lb braid on a spinner..

Nice work to get yours on such light line

PS: queensfish are a vew skinny fish to it seems they tire very easily and die extremely fast from exhaustion. The first big one I landed we got in the boat and it literally kicked once and then died. so now if we land a biggun we usually release it next to the boat. Cause I hate killing big fish.

Something to remember for anyone who catches a big one
    Last edited by Flex; 02-09-2007 at 08:40 PM.

20 to 25 kilo, i cant imagine, but would love to see. pencil me in for the next trip to ninian bay flex.