Thread: Reel Secvice

Reel Secvice

Hi guys
    With the murray cod season now closed (NSW - not sure about other states) i have decided to do a full service and strip down of my reels both baitcast and spin. All i was wondering was what you guys (and girls) use to clean the old oil and grease from reel parts before applying new grease and oil. Also what can you use to clean the drag washers without completly destroying them. I have the correct oils/greases for gears/bearings/drag etc just not sure how to clean them first.
    thanks
    Aadam

Re: Reel Secvice

Shellite is the best cleaner by far,removes grease/oil off everything including drag washers and leaves them free of any lubes and dry so the new oil/grease bonds to the surface.WD and Kero etc will leave a film behind which in turn stops the lubes bonding to the surfaces.If the bearings are in need of a clean do them first,likewise use clean stuff for the fibre washers.

Re: Reel Secvice

Yep i also use shelite as a solvent. light oil for bearings, grease for gears and depending on the drag washers i either use cals grease, graphite powder or teflen impregnated oil.