Thread: Mann&Nymboida river closed to fishing

Mann&Nymboida river closed to fishing

Do'nt know if anyone has seen this on the fisheries site but they have closed all fishing in these rivers above the junction of the Clarence/Mann and their tributaries(thankfully the Orara is'nt) right up to platypus flat(for those that know it) from 1aug till 31oct to protect the eastern cod breeding.

I like the idea but the cod have taken over the whole river-rarely do you catch anything else these days,the nymboida once had plenty of bass,catfish etc but not now.I know of a lot of people who think it is time to catch and keep some but have also heard stories about netters from out west coming over to dalmorton/buccarumbi and cleaning up,its a hard call to make!!
    There are no cod in the Orara honest
    Last edited by akman1; 31-08-2007 at 08:07 PM.

Re: Mann&Nymboida river closed to fishing

i hear you loud and clear mate.
    I used to catch a lot of bass in the upper reaches of the nymboida years ago, Now its almost impossible to catch one way too many cod,
    I believe that they should be protected but what is really happening is a complete over stocking of eastern Cod.
    Either stop restocking so much or let people fish.
    Eventually the populations along the river will suffer from this over stocking
    And by the way there are a lot of cod in the Orara
    Last edited by codcatcha; 04-09-2007 at 06:00 AM. Reason: forgot something

Re: Mann&Nymboida river closed to fishing

Hi Fella's

I Have already contacted Fisheries re River lock up for three months that comes off Zero bag limit for Bass for three months, this combines to a total of five months you basicaly can't fish the Mann Nymboida river system.

Their response was fish for other species?

I replied with what other species, as you both have said, cod numbers are way up in those rivers and even the once common catty is becoming hard to find.

I live on the Orara and haven't seen a cod yet, but have been told they're inthere.
    Rob