Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: bottom bouncing the shelf

bottom bouncing the shelf

Hi all
    going to the shelf soon and we are thinking of bottom bouncing the 200-25- meter mark (south coast nsw)
    Can anybody shed some light on what we should do
    Cheers Steve

Re: bottom bouncing the shelf

buy a lot of line.

Quote Originally Posted by mad jewie fisher View Post
    Hi all
    going to the shelf soon and we are thinking of bottom bouncing the 200-25- meter mark (south coast nsw)
    Can anybody shed some light on what we should do
    Cheers Steve
    I think you need to talk to snelly mate.
    He's from tassie and fishs 400 pound braid to depths of 600 metres with an electric winch( I think).
    Or maybe it just seems like that.
    But for sure he's your southern deep water man!

Scott

try posting in the offshore section u might get a better reply there btw what species are you targeting?
    "True Blue"

pm" onerabbit" he on the nth coast and does this abit.

Ian
    Alcohol doesn't agree with me, but i sure do enjoy the argument!!!

Get some braid. Use tuna circles or baitsavers, 3 or 4 at a time. Squid's the best bait. Get a big sinker.Look for reef just above the 600' line. Mark yr drifts on the plotter - if you score, go back over it.

Not sure if it's legal in NSWbut in Tas we use droplines for this caper, down to 1500' - set the line, 10 - 20 hooks, clip on a float, mark it on the gps come back in an hour, Don't forget to use a pressue float or all yr hooks will be in a pile on the bottom.

You can get trumpeter on top of the shelf, the occasional latchet. Over the edge, it's blueye, gemfish and grenadier, all top table tucker. You also see the odd ooglie like rays bream, sabrefish etc. Its great fun go for it, but b
    Be prepared for a steep learning curve and sore arms.

Here are a coupla clips of some mugs at work
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=vAyBu7B0FhU
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=XAZ-jyBn6W0

Cheers,
    Yockman

Cheers Yockman not allowed to do any type of long lining in nsw we will be on 25kg braid and stand up strokers and a new type of pain not experienced (lol) Will try the bricks i was gonna use car axles chopped and a half chain welded on and light line to release it i have some 11cm glow squid would they be good to go on the hook line and then some squid or stripey,what about a live slimey or yakka(yellowtail) again thanks for your help
    Cheers Steve

We always stick with bait but I've got a mate who uses sp's and he does well. Livies would prolly begood too but bait works good enough for us. Would suggest that you try around the 600 feet are fir trumpeter or go out to about 1000, that about where the blueye start.

Further north in Tas there are places the blueye congregate, but down south where we fish, we just head out to about 12-1500' and fish, regardless of whether we get shows on the bottom or not. They seem to be widely dispersed.

Re sinkers, if it's ok weather ( and we only do this in good weather) we just use big snapper leads. Even in deep water we still get down ok using braid. It's all good fun and is a good break from trolling epecially on those days when tuna aren't cooperating

Cheers,
    Yock

Hi MJF,

congratulations on your sporting approach to shelf fishing.

We usually fish between 240-350 mtrs with our normal stand-up gear, 24kg stick, Sealine 600s & 30lb braid.
    Normal size strip bait is good enough, but if you pull up a small nannygai or job fish, drop it back down with a good hook .
    No need to go overkill on line strength, 25kg will be plenty, we rarely break 30lb, except on real monsters, ( hehehe, I saw a big cod drag Ida all over the boat one day, in the end he had to just hang on & beg for the line to break, which it eventually did).
    Same thing on hooks, keep a few 8/0s handy, but we find 3/0 & 4/0 Big Guns to be ok.
    Make sure you have a big brekky before you go, there's nothing like watching your gear freespool for 5 minutes before your 2lb sinker hits the bottom, knowing you will have to wind it all back up again.

Muzz

Quote Originally Posted by onerabbit View Post
    Hi MJF,

Make sure you have a big brekky before you go, there's nothing like watching your gear freespool for 5 minutes before your 2lb sinker hits the bottom, knowing you will have to wind it all back up again.

Muzz
    Geez muzz,
    That sounds more like punishment than fishing!
    What sort of fish are in the photo?

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Geez muzz,
    That sounds more like punishment than fishing!
    What sort of fish are in the photo?

Scott
    Hehehehe, & some people dont see fishing as a sport.

Hi Scott,
    I fish off Ballina, Nth NSW, the fish in the photo are Bar Cod, & are one of the best eating fish there is.

I believe that fishing for these terrific fish in the way described not only gives the angler a good work out, but helps to preserve the existing stock, only a very fit person could take the bag limit of 5 fish.
    By the way, I'm 44, 5'8" & 59kgs, so it can't be THAT hard.

With the exception of our southern members like Snelly, who fish far deeper than we do, I am totally against the use off electric reels, even deck winches aren't really all that sporting. I guess it comes down to why you are there.

All that said.............if you want a challenge, there's nothing like the tussle with a good cod ( our average fish is 8-10kg ), the jelly feeling in your arms & legs when you finally get it to the top after an up to 30minute wind up, or the terrible suspicion you may need the gaff handle to put your vital organs back in place ..........it's all part of the fun.

Muzz

will put up a couple more pics, last one is my 15 year old.

Hi MJF,

congratulations on your sporting approach to shelf fishing.

We usually fish between 240-350 mtrs with our normal stand-up gear, 24kg stick, Sealine 600s & 30lb braid.
    Normal size strip bait is good enough, but if you pull up a small nannygai or job fish, drop it back down with a good hook .
    No need to go overkill on line strength, 25kg will be plenty, we rarely break 30lb, except on real monsters, ( hehehe, I saw a big cod drag Ida all over the boat one day, in the end he had to just hang on & beg for the line to break, which it eventually did).
    Same thing on hooks, keep a few 8/0s handy, but we find 3/0 & 4/0 Big Guns to be ok.

Muzz
    Cheers Muzz what times of the year are best,We are going start of Nov. I'm using a tld 25 with 600 mtrs of 5 color 50 pound braid stand up stroker and as much mussle i can muster after we try this we are thinking of the trying deeper I cant see the point of trolling all day and not getting a fish,I'm originally from Adelaide and when we go for blue fin tuna we get a kingie or 2 first or a red then go trolling or cubing.
    Again thanks for your help.
    Steve

OH MY GOD, just watched the 2nd clip on jigsnreels post.............................................. ..............................I supose some people think that is fishing???????????????????????????????

Muzz

OH MY GOD, just watched the 2nd clip on jigsnreels post.............................................. ..............................I supose some people think that is fishing???????????????????????????????

Muzz
    Yeah, well it looks to me, about as much fun...
    as sticking a wad of hemorrhoid cream, right up me bum....

Scott

Yockman,

Next time you're looking for crew let me know. I'm down in Hobart now with plenty of free time on my hands.

Just send me a message.

hhhmmm Blue Eye.

Brett