Thread: Grunter

Grunter

Ive seen a few grunter caught on these pages over the years, and was suprised to learn they are an occassional catch in Moreton bay and the Brisbane river.
    Ive never caught one and was wondering if anyone targets them.??
    If so what are their habits , haunts, favoured baits.
    Any info on them would be appreciated.
    Cheers
    rando
    PS
    Just had a look at AMonline and cant find the fish there. I searched grunter and could not see the fish i am interested in. Does anyone know the correct name for the species.
    Last edited by rando; 07-10-2007 at 04:51 PM.

Re: Grunter

Try silver javelin or small spotted javelin

Hi, Up here in Townsville I target them more than any other fish. Taste much better than Barra iMHO . Strip baits of mullet are just as good as prawns or squid. Bait must be fresh. They normally bit in 2 very different ways. They can hit a bait quite hard first up and swallow straight away. I have found that some bigger Grunter will take the bait into its mouth and then with its grinding plates have a good taste before swallowing. This is when you will notice small twitches of the rod tip. Do not strike too quick. I normally give line at this stage and sometimes this tasting game can go on for a few minutes. Great fish to eat. They like a high tide with sandy bottom and a decent run in the water

happy catching
    Last edited by kingkev; 08-10-2007 at 09:02 AM. Reason: spelling

Rando,

Caught a nice 43cm specimen off scarbourgh reef a couple of years ago. Took off like a steam train, fought well and tasted even better. They are more prolific around the mouth of the Mary river and further north.

best of luck.
    Tight Lines

Split-shot

Split shot
    Yeah I saw Chongs catch last week and that reminded me, that there are a few turn up around here from time to time. A nice little surprise catch,,, but even better if you were to target them.
    rando

I have seen some crackers caught in the mouth of brisy river and also at mud, my pb is 64cm from mud. We got them all on sp's while chasing snapps.
    Marty.

i caught one from under the stbd channel marker off scarborough a few years back that was 64 cm and weighed 4 kg. i haven't caught another one there since. i have cuaght quite a few just undersized grunter in pumistone passage near coochin creek and up near caloundra. these were caught on live worms while fishing for whiting. i live in hope of repeating the 4 kg fish. fought hard and tasted great.

Great fish. caught a few around bundy in the past. down in bris, have caught one in the pine - 40 cm, and one in the scarborogh canals - well over 50. great fish to catch.

cuzza

On our last trip to Hinchinbrook , we caught a few over the mud in Missionary bay (night only) .... While none were large .... They hit fish baits hard & fought really well ..... but best of all ....... YUM! ... Nagg

grunter will eat just about any fresh bait, worm, prawn, flesh bait, yabbies, squid etc. Larger specimens are often caught on small live baits and big squid baits. When fishing for them find a nice snady or shale bottom, preferable with some sort of rise, and fish the incoming tide into the lee side, this is where they like to sit and wait for any bait to go by in the current. I use a standard running sinker rig, but sometimes go with a paternoster, to get the bait up off the bottom, like other fish it just depends on their habits of the day to determine you rig.