Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314

Thread: bottom bouncing the shelf

Re: bottom bouncing the shelf

Quote Originally Posted by blaze View Post
    105km winds today, not quite so strong yesterday or day before but more of that strenth for the next week
    gotta love tassie
    cheers
    blaze
    Yeh bit of a bugger hay Blaze.Cancelled last week-ends trip to Arthurs,May have to cancel this week-end as well. Bloody web cam looks lovely up there this morning but its going to blow up again tomorrow (MAYBE).
    TASMANIA HUEYS PUNCHING BAG
    Cheers
    Reidy

Hi guys, when I go to the shelf I use a shimano short stroker rod and a shimano Torium 30 reel loaded with 22kg braid. I dont use bait just a 400gm knife jig at the bottom and a 150mm Squidgie SP 150cm up from the jig and if this does not get hit neither will a bait. The attraction of this is that it goes to the bottom at twice the speed of bait and does not drag as much as bait= easier to use. I was out at the 900ft mark one day and was winding a fishless rig back up and a 4kg snapper took the jig at around 400ft. You just never know what surprises are out there. Cheers.

"and if this does not get hit neither will a bait"

I don't care who y'all are, that's some funny stuff right there.

Couldn't resist dude, but I'll bet an untouched nuclear chook to a 4 dozen smashed yakkas that you're wrong.

Gotta admit Steve, I thought the same thing,

I've tried 6" glow in the dark squid above the bait for not much better result, wasn't keen to send anything down that far without a bit of bait.

You can keep jiggin' in that depth to yourself, if a 2lb sinker takes 5 minutes to hit the bottom.........................hope you pack lots of line.
    Bait works just fine for us.

Muzz

Hi guys, You don't have to go mad power winding this rig, just a slow bob up and down does the trick. Maybe you are not doing it properly!! Just ask some of the guys I have been out with about jig versus bait. We have cleaned up on Bar cod with jigs on days when they would not look at a bait. On the days when the fish are hungry they will attack anything and can be caught easily but when they are finicky try a jig. We just go out for the fun of catching these ooglies on rod and reel. If you close your mind off to different options you will have a lot of fishless trips. I will try everything just to satisfy my own curiousity. The jigs are more streamlined and drop at a quicker rate than a spiraling bait that acts like a parachute unless you strap half a railway track to it. Probably the reason why my arms don't get sore after spending a day at the shelf. But each to their own I guess. cheers, Steve.

Not much chop with computers though, Apparently. Steve

Yeah fair cop Steve,

Proof's in the results.

My wife says the same thing.

C.J.

I knew sooner or later some people would post good info for me

Also what type of jigs you use and I spose the bigger the better

Cheers Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
    Hi guys, You don't have to go mad power winding this rig, just a slow bob up and down does the trick. Maybe you are not doing it properly!! Just ask some of the guys I have been out with about jig versus bait. We have cleaned up on Bar cod with jigs on days when they would not look at a bait. On the days when the fish are hungry they will attack anything and can be caught easily but when they are finicky try a jig. We just go out for the fun of catching these ooglies on rod and reel. If you close your mind off to different options you will have a lot of fishless trips. I will try everything just to satisfy my own curiousity. The jigs are more streamlined and drop at a quicker rate than a spiraling bait that acts like a parachute unless you strap half a railway track to it. Probably the reason why my arms don't get sore after spending a day at the shelf. But each to their own I guess. cheers, Steve.

This will give the game away. I found the colour button on the scanner. Anything around the 400gm works for me. The one in the pic is a cheaper brand but Knife jigs are good and try a 150mm drop bear squidgie about 1.5 to 2 metres up from the jig with a 60gm 8/0 head on 40kg plastic coated wire trace. No tangles and two hooks are enough for me seeing as the bag limit on Bar cod is 5 per person. Gives me a reason to throw the rig back over the side of the boat. This rig tends to snare big Nannigai and green eye sharks along with the odd tile fish. Haven't been as lucky as onerabbit to snare a Trevalla. cheers, Steve.

Nice pic and great fish!
    Interesting info also Rabbi, thanks for sharing that!
    Cheers.