Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: bottom bouncing the shelf

Re: bottom bouncing the shelf

PS..Muzz...I was just reading an old thread started by you about 1 KW transducers....and see that another mate of Mine....High profile member made a remark about drop lining over the shelf in his response to you .....any reason why you didnt pull him up for being a butcher...

Mick

Quote Originally Posted by snelly1971 View Post
    No i was not trying to rub anyones nose in anything thing...this thread was started about deep sea fishing...I was only trying to show how we fish down here in the deep water..whether you agree or not with the way we fish isup to you...But ...but the post was about techniques for fishing deep water...I Got my nose out of joint with Nagg...because I was made feel as though i was doing something wrong....I obey Bag limits...I dont get out alot....So what is the problem...

Have you`s ever used and electric reel...or deck winch..????...Might suprise you how much fun it is...especially when there are 4 people using them in the one boat....

Most of the people fishing with me are over the age of 55...so in respect to them....they cannot handle the hard work by winding a Blue Eye up out of 200 + Fathom...

Netting...Diving....probably have the worst impact on fisheries...But i see this doesnt even get mentioned....even though they are legal here...

If Nagg wants to have his say FINE....but when he picks problems in the way i Fish ...STILL Fine.....But have the respect to answer the questions in which i reply...not just take snippits out and Winge...

It started out on deep sea fishing and ended up with Statments Like.....Cutting down old groth forests..ect....What has that got to do with this..!!!!

We might not see eye to eye on this and i respect your opinion...but just maybe i know a little bit more about the fisheries...the conditions...ect than those who are judging us so harshly.....

Nagg....Stated that he does not ..and will not take into account...Weather condition...population...ect.....well need i say anymore...

Tasmanias Fisheries are going strong....TUNA numbers were mentioned.... Nagg should get his facts right before opening his mouth...This year has been the best year for Blue Fin in Tassie..and is the first year that they have been caught in great numbers here on the West Coast...I know Blaze will Back me up about this...

We have been judged on catching a feed of Blue Eye..2 Each...if we catch 2 each...but Nagg would not even respond to the damage in what the trawlers do....1 trawler would do more damage than all the rec fisherman put together....

And my main point is the conditions here and boat numbers....Honestly...there would not be another Rec boat offshore here...we sort of pioneered it here...I do believe you`s just dont understand what kind of conditions we get here..and to make comments on would not be just....

Mick
    Mick .... My response re PROs (referring to Trawlers) was in while you were bagging me ..... unfortunate timing!

No Mick .... I cant see how you justify the techniques because of weather , population etc ..... You have fished more than me over the last week ! ( I couldn't get out because of the weather) ..... What stops you from fishing inshore ? ... Nothing I reckon Just like I could have fished up a local river over the past 3 weeks ...... In the past , When conditions allowed .... I too would go out wide .. but to chase YFT ... 30NM off shore in a 18 ft CC ..... but it did not give me any special rights (not that I'm saying that you do anything that is illegal) .... My gripe is with the fishing practises & the TAS regulations that allow it! ....... So it really isn't anything personally aimed at you! ....... However please dont think that Tasmania will be free of the pressures .... either recreation ally or professionally in the years to come ! ..... Remoteness & lack of population .... did not isolate FNQ , PNG , Lord Howe Island or the NT in the past !!!! ....... Finally ... My mention of OLD GROWTH Forests ..... was done for the attitude shown ( No dramas down here mate!! .... the weather is lousy & there are only a few of us.... so we will cut down any/ every tree that we can .... as long as its within the Regs) ...... Can you see where I'm sought of coming from ??? ..... Cheers .. Nagg.
    PS ...... There are probably many fishing practices that I dont agree with ..... But the thread mentioned DROP LINES that allow 30 hooks & you can have 4 of them ...... & you can just let them float around the ocean & pick them up at your leisure ...... but hey its legal in TAS (but not in NSW )
    PPS .... You might have had the best Tuna fishing for years ..... but its easy when bugger all was caught over the previous years (TAS / VIC & SA) was home to regular catches of 100kg + BFT) .... Its funny but I heard the same comments about last years YFT fishing off NSW ... ... Only because SFA has been taken over the last 10! ........ SMILE
    Last edited by NAGG; 10-09-2007 at 10:01 PM.

Fish Inshore...Yeah lovely.....5 - 8 meters swells...that would be lovely...as for fishing the harbor....Well i have worked with Salmon and trout for over ten years on fish farms and the thought of catching them is boring to me...That is the really the only specie to be caught in the harbor...so offshore fishing is the way i go....

Drop lining....casting a bait net...graball netting...diving....Setting a crab/ or cray pot...what is the difference...they are all types of fishing ...we may differ on opinions....but as long as they are legal...and bag limits are aheard to then i have no problems with any of them being practiced...

There are greater threats to our fisheries ...as i have mentioned....

Mick

As for the Tuna....there never has been a Blue Fin tuna that anyone knows of being caught on the west coast of Tassie...They were caught and seen in great numbers...all the way along the west coast....

Mick

PS...MUZZ..i also forgot to mention that we have a real problem with fish thieves here...(seals)...they are here in plague proportions and to get a fish from 70 + fathom up to the boat is most of the time impossible...Hence the electric reels..this gives us a distinct advantage in landing fish...Without the electric reels we would be lucky to land a fish somedays....

If anyone caught the episode recently on hook line and sinka at Pedra Blanca when they were catching massive blue fin tuna...then they will know what i mean about seals in plague numbers...

Mick

Quote Originally Posted by snelly1971 View Post
    As for the Tuna....there never has been a Blue Fin tuna that anyone knows of being caught on the west coast of Tassie...They were caught and seen in great numbers...all the way along the west coast....

Mick
    Now ... In English

Nagg...No one has ever caught a Blue Fin Tuna on the west coast of Tassie down our way...am i going to fast for you.....this year there was heaps caught...and local commercial fisherman seen schools of them...boiling...and i know ...by talking to Blaze that they were being caught up his way as well in great numbers....which is another spot not reconised for Blue Fin....

Mick

Mick ..... you talk about Seals .......... Try fishing the NE corner of Montague Island with live bait for Kings ...... Loose all your livebaits & worst still ... any fish hooked! ....... but still good fun ..... actually how come the buggers never get hooked up .... Nagg

After all that has been said in this Thread..

I wont even reply to seals getting hooked up

Mick

Snelly,

where we go, we dont EVER see another boat either, not too many have the balls .............................

My posts were not to start an arguement either.

I was shocked to learn this type of fishing was LEGAL anywhere in our fine country.

I have never used a winch of any kind, I just cant imagine it being fun.

Mate, if you want your kids will be able to do the same that you do now, it may well be time to re-evaluate your fishing methods,
    when I was a kid, there was no end of fish to catch, but now..........................

Dont let it happen to your kids too,

Muzz

Quote Originally Posted by onerabbit View Post
    Snelly,

where we go, we dont EVER see another boat either, not too many have the balls .............................

I was shocked to learn this type of fishing was LEGAL anywhere in our fine country.

Mate, if you want your kids will be able to do the same that you do now, it may well be time to re-evaluate your fishing methods,
    when I was a kid, there was no end of fish to catch, but now..........................

Muzz
    Sorry Muzz....I am going to let this Post Die....We differ in opinions...And i am fine with that....

I dont see the harm in catching 2 Blue Eye..whether it be on a normal overhead rod/reel....electric reel...Hand line...or on a drop line...

No different to catching 5 crayfish in either...pots/rings or diving...there are just different methods....and what it all come down to is Bag Limits....I obey them....and thats what really counts in my book...

I probably get the chance to do it twice a year....and as i have stated...there are no other boats offshore here...

Cheers Mick

Tuna have been caught on the west coast of tassie, Late in the season I got 2. Only small ones 15 and 20kgs, on the day we boated 4 and lost one at the gaff.
    Image fishing this coastline, its wild and unforgiven. Go out in a flat sea and if it gets above 3 metres you cant get back in. So if you get the chance to fish it you need to maximise your opitunities.
    Nothing wrong with the way Mick fishes with a drop line or electric whinch either. Maybe we have managed our fisheries better in tassie than any other state which still allows us to fish these methods or is it the fact that our weather is so rough and unpredictable that our fish stocks are preserved, either way its a healthy fisheries. Tell me any other state where you can catch 30 to 50 flathead an hour and if you wanted you could do it all day. If its legal its fine by me
    cheers
    blaze

Snelly,

Muzz
    Hi Muzz
    If any thing, our fisheries in Tassie has improve in the last 10 years. You relise of course that we dont allow any netting in our eustaries of any sort, we look after our breeding grounds, maybe its time other states had a look at the tassie way.
    cheers
    blaze

Snelly,

Muzz
    Muzz ..... Let em be ! ..... Its clear that if they are catching fish there is obviously nothing wrong with the fishery (In their opinion) ...... Nor will there be in the future ....... Nagg
    PS ...... If the fishery is so healthy .... why would you need 120 hooks (as the regs allow )

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Muzz ..... Let em be ! ..... Its clear that if they are catching fish there is obviously nothing wrong with the fishery (In their opinion) ...... Nor will there be in the future ....... Nagg
    PS ...... If the fishery is so healthy .... why would you need 120 hooks (as the regs allow )
    You dont need 120 Hooks...You are taking things out of context Nagg...Each person is allowed 30 hooks each...max of 4 lines per boat...which does equal 120 hooks....But I never mentioned on this thread that i use 120 hooks....

Mick