Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: bottom bouncing the shelf

Re: bottom bouncing the shelf

Jigsnreels with the pressure float on the top of the bottom what type of float do you mean or advise is it just a smallish round one to control the rig so you don't get a tangled mess?
    Cheers samson

Pressure floats are high density, pressurised plastic floats. They're designed to withstand pressures at depths that would crush other floats, and to provide a given amount of bouyancy.

http://www.chsmith.com.au/cgi-bin/he...ex=IN&Number=2

We usually use FLE508

Jigs

Quote Originally Posted by jigsnreels View Post
    Nagg, there's no doubt about it, these are food gathering trips to feed my family. You walk into a shop with money in your pocket, you look for the best value. We go out there, we're looking for best value too.

Please spare me the "it's not sporting" line. All of us use boats made from high tech materials, high tech engines to get there, high tech electronics, including hardware courtesy of the US military to find our spots, high tech rods and reels to present a bait. Against a simple 1, 2 or 20kg fish. You call that sporting?

Now if you paddle out in your own hand made dugout canoe, with your line made from twisted plant fibre, and a hook you've fashioned from bone, and take on a fish your own size, then I'm ready to say "you're a sportsman".

Cheers,
    Jigs
    Jigs ..... I didn't even go down the path of what is or is not sporting I'm having a go at the whole process of dropping a set line with 10-20 hooks on it & personally I'm disgusted that you write of such practices & then want to defend it ... Citing that your out trying to feed the family . Your approach to fishing is more akin to commercial fishing ... & hence my use of the word "HARVESTING" ! ..... While I'm not sure of the regulations in NSW ... I would have no doubt it would be considered illegal ! (& I will check) ...... While I'm no great fan of government intervention ..... I do see the merit of banning Set lines , limiting the number of hooks , bag & size limits , no spearfishing with scuba gear etc etc...... It helps with the sustainability of a fishery! ........ And if your methods are common practice is Tasmania ....... God help the future generations ,because you'll end up like the rest of us .... Nagg

Hey NAGG, these fellas are not talking about an inshore fishery. The amount of boats that would actually do this style of fishing would be extremely minimal. If you totally understood the area where they fish and read what the guys were saying i.e. "We only get out about 5 days a year" then could you honestly say that they are raping a fishery. As long as they are within the legal bag limits and fishing methods. This may open up a can of worms, but there aren't too many capable recreational boats that can do this style of fishing in the dangerous waters that these guys fish. Good on ya fellas for having the guts to venture that far to pull fish. Keep the reports coming from the deep blue!!!!

Cheers Benny

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Jigs ..... I didn't even go down the path of what is or is not sporting I'm having a go at the whole process of dropping a set line with 10-20 hooks on it & personally I'm disgusted that you write of such practices & then want to defend it ... Citing that your out trying to feed the family . Your approach to fishing is more akin to commercial fishing ... & hence my use of the word "HARVESTING" ! ..... While I'm not sure of the regulations in NSW ... I would have no doubt it would be considered illegal ! (& I will check) ...... While I'm no great fan of government intervention ..... I do see the merit of banning Set lines , limiting the number of hooks , bag & size limits , no spearfishing with scuba gear etc etc...... It helps with the sustainability of a fishery! ........ And if your methods are common practice is Tasmania ....... God help the future generations ,because you'll end up like the rest of us .... Nagg
    Maybe you should shut you mouth Nagg...

Where i live..we are lucky to get out fishing...as due to our wild coast line...maybe that is why our fisheries are going so strong and get stronger..

There is a board...made up of commercial...rec..and government bodies who make the rules to which we are to abide by...

The rules are made so that all fisheries are sustainable...so why do you think they would allow us 30 hooks on drop...or longlines if it was not sustainable

There is alot worse things happening in our fisheries then some poor old amature..heading out doing the right thing....gee 20 or 30 hooks eh..

There have been cases here of trawlers catching 90 to 100 tons of fish and having to cut the net to let them sink back to the bottom dead..because they had no quota for the caught specie..

Nagg...How many times have you caught an undersize fish and released it

Do the undersize you catch and release always live

If Jigs is following State laws regarding to long..or drop lines...then you should shut your mouth and winge somewhere else...

Mick

Naggs, I just don't think you get this.

We're not talking about Spit Bridge or DeeWhy reef or the Peak, all of which I've fished heaps of times growing up in Sydney. Consider the following:

1) This is somewhere you just can't get to very often. Did you read my posts? Last trip there was in late June, and the next will be in late January. That's um....about 6 months apart. Don't think I'm going to be plundering the resources at that rate.

2) This year, we have not seen another boat, not a single one, droplining anywhere near us. Again, no rape & pillage happening here.

3) It's tough!! Very few people can handle this. Most guys who come with me are green before the sinker hits the bottom. This is the land of the rolling kings, the everpresent swell, very rarely below 2 metres, often 3 or 4. Beyond that we don't worry. Incidentally, those crew who are green before the sinker's down are having a near-death experience by the time it's back in the boat. I've only got one regular who can hack it.....

4) To me, it would be a shocking waste of petrol to go all that way by road, then do the whole boat thing, for two fish.

5) It takes, in all, about 90 mins - 2 hours to set and retrieve these 15 hooks, so we'll call that a hook/minute ratio of 1:8 (15/120). Lets compare that to your average reef fisho in 60 metres. Most use 2 hooks and in 2 hours would drop and retrieve, well, let's say once every 10 minutes. I don't think anyone would think that was excessive.Probably conservative but it'll do. So in 2 hours, you're "setting" 24 hooks =24/120, or a hook/minute ratio of 1:5. Which of the two is fishing harder?

6) <And if your methods are common practice is Tasmania...>
    Think it's clear that it's not common practice, and is unlikely to be, for the reasons above.

7) By the way, there are bag limits on these things down here, which may have been exceeded once when the last drop may have yielded a couple more than the Gov might have liked us to have. No point putting them back, they'd be seal and seagull tucker.

Anyway, I'm not telling you or anyone else how to fish. Suit yourself, have fun. I always do.

Cheers,
    Jigs
    Last edited by jigsnreels; 03-09-2007 at 10:47 PM.

You made a great point there Jigs...BAG LIMITS......

Mick

Quote Originally Posted by jigsnreels View Post
    Naggs, I just don't think you get this.

We're not talking about Spit Bridge or DeeWhy reef or the Peak, all of which I've fished heaps of times growing up in Sydney. Consider the following:

1) This is somewhere you just can't get to very often. Did you read my posts? Last trip there was in late June, and the next will be in late January. That's um....about 6 months apart. Don't think I'm going to be plundering the resources at that rate.

2) This year, we have not seen another boat, not a single one, droplining anywhere near us. Again, no rape & pillage happening here.

3) It's tough!! Very few people can handle this. Most guys who come with me are green before the sinker hits the bottom. This is the land of the rolling kings, the everpresent swell, very rarely below 2 metres, often 3 or 4. Beyond that we don't worry. Incidentally, those crew who are green before the sinker's down are having a near-death experience by the time it's back in the boat. I've only got one regular who can hack it.....

4) To me, it would be a shocking waste of petrol to go all that way by road, then do the whole boat thing, for two fish.

5) It takes, in all, about 90 mins - 2 hours to set and retrieve these 15 hooks, so we'll call that a hook/minute ratio of 1:8 (15/120). Lets compare that to your average reef fisho in 60 metres. Most use 2 hooks and in 2 hours would drop and retrieve, well, let's say once every 10 minutes. I don't think anyone would think that was excessive.Probably conservative but it'll do. So in 2 hours, you're "setting" 24 hooks =24/120, or a hook/minute ratio of 1:5. Which of the two is fishing harder?

6) <And if your methods are common practice is Tasmania...>
    Think it's clear that it's not common practice, and is unlikely to be, for the reasons above.

7) By the way, there are bag limits on these things down here, which may have been exceeded once when the last drop may have yielded a couple more than the Gov might have liked us to have. No point putting them back, they'd be seal and seagull tucker.

Anyway, I'm not telling you or anyone else how to fish. Suit yourself, have fun. I always do.

Cheers,
    Jigs
    I wont knock qanybody for taking bag limits out there.If your law states you can fish that way then so be it.
    The only thing I have a problem with is that seals and birds have to eat also,I have a problem taking more than your than your limit put them in the water seals,birds and other fish will feed on them.
    Cheers Steve

Any trip to the shelf is generally a $1000 Plus prospect depending on boat size and the crew numbers. You can buy alot of fish for $1000, and unless you have fished the shelf before, please don't make any harsh judgement of the way lines are set.. As long as it's legal I can't see a problem. The methods of JnR and Mick aren't that uncommon amongst shelf fisho. Some ppls like to test their stamina by doing single hook drop with 1lb lead. After 2 drops the mind start to wander as to a more effective way of doing it.
    It's probably worst to upsize a fish when ppls have bagged out on a reef, than what these fellas are doing.
    You often find the people who heads of to the shelf has some sort of attraction to the DEEP blue yonder more so than catching enormous amount of fish.
    You have a better chance of spotting Elvis than another boat out unless it was with your convoy.
    Humility is not a weather condition.

Good to see a report of a different fishing style. At least not everyone on this site is caffine addict using 2lb braid throwing a used franger after bream from their 150hp ski boat just to throw it back. Show me more, I find it interesting and the dediction of a few fisherman put into their fishing style. Nothing wrong with keeping a legal feed of fish.

hondaguy, LMAO, couldn't agree more.

Hope to be heading out this weekend...so if we get something worth posting then i will put up a few Pics....

Cheers Mick

Sorry .... Free floating drop lines x 4 (per boat) with 30 hooks each .... just doesn't quite cut it for me Regardless of what the state law allows ..... I'm ecstatic that it is an illegal practice in NSW ...... Nagg
    PS ..... For the record ... I've fished Browns Mnt on a couple occasions for blue eye , Gem fish & other ooglies (with 37kg dacron on a 80 stand up outfit ..... & 2 Hooks)....just to do something different:huh:

How about a report on using the stand up gear nagg. I would find that an interesting report as well. I know I personally would not know where to start that sort of fishing stlye. Please just don't put in there you use a nuclear chicken franger with 13/64 ounce jighead with 4lb braid in this style of fishing. None mainstream fishing styles interest me the most. Thanks

hhmm I must fit somewhere in between here, I use a cord line and big weights and "handline" for Blue eye and stuff (in NSW) but I still only use the number of hooks allowed (maybe if we could have 20 I would) I reckon the handline system is a thousand times easier than rod and reel, (did that for many years) but it comes down to the simple fact that if it is OK to do it in your state then it is OK!! like (say) cast nets in QLD, lots of states have differing laws, but the bag limit should take care of over fishing, and all states have some sort of bag limits.