Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: bottom bouncing the shelf

Re: bottom bouncing the shelf

Quote Originally Posted by mad jewie fisher View Post
    Hi all
    going to the shelf soon and we are thinking of bottom bouncing the 200-25- meter mark (south coast nsw)
    Can anybody shed some light on what we should do
    Cheers Steve

Buy an electric reel...Miya Epoch make the best models..anywhere from 800-14000 bucks...We have tried the old method of using your arms...but that aint much fun when its 300-400 fathom deep...

Good quality...very sharp!!...Circle hooks are a must as ...especially blue eye...will blow up and just float off your hook if they are winched up too fast..

Alvey Deck winches are good ..

Another hint...in these depths...the fish seem to love glow beads..especially the green fluro ones...

Cheers Mick

PS...Deck winches use normally 200 lb braid...

Electric winch 80/ 130/ or 200 lb...your choice..

But i run 80 and 130 lb..

Cheers Mick

The "clump" of blueye in the second clip occured after a seal attack on the main dropper line - the sinker was gone and all the fish had floated to the surface. When fish float up from that far down, they get in a helluva tangle. That's how they got into the clump. Normally, they come up in a more orderly way.

That's the way we fish. It's a 600 km drive for us to the fishing grounds then its a bout 24kms out, then about 1500 feet down. There's only a small number of days per year when this is possible, so am I gonna muck round with a single hook?
    Not when I want food for my family and my crew mates tribe too.

If you think this is exploiting the fishery, then remember the effort involved in making a trip there. Not like we're doing this daily. Last time was in late June. We rarely see another boat out there. If you want to read about exploitation, get hold of "Hooked" by G Bruce Knecht. It's about patagonian toothfish and in particular the chase across the bottom of the world by Australia's Southern Supporter after the Viarsa, a pirate ship. Great reading, but unbelievable to think of them destroying whole fisheries in less than 2 years. The Atlantic cod fisheries took centuries to ruin.

Bugman, you're welcome sometime, maybe late January?? Won't be back down there again before then.

Cheers all
    Last edited by jigsnreels; 01-09-2007 at 04:00 PM.

We get approx 4-5 days a year where it is safe enough to venture out the 25 nm to our blue eye spot...

I can appreciate using drop lines as we do ourselves...

Mick

How do you blokes prepare/cook your Blue Eye?

Good read fellas any descriptions on how you rig your drop lines would be much apreciated,eg hook set ups, intervals apart and do you use any weight between hooks to keep them in the strike zone or are they just set verticly in the water.
    Cheers samson

That's the way it is , eh snelly.

Blueye is #1 fish, imho. It's versatile. Great in breadcrumbs, great with tarragon sauce, grilled on the barbie, etc, etc. You can't go wrong with it. Last night 13 of us dined on big pieces of blueye in spicy coconut sauce. It was great.

Our droplines are 400lb mono. The rig goes like this, from the seabed: sinker, 5 -10lb, usually a window weight, on a piece of cord, clips onto a loop at the end of the "bottom". The bottom is aabout 60 metres of 400lb mono. It has a pair of crimps spaced about 50mm apart every 2m or so. Then there's a big ss swivel with lead in it, then the rest of the mainline, about 500 metres. The hooks (tuna circles or baitsavers) are on a short dropper, about 200mm, attached to a shark clip. The ones with swivels are good.

Setting it goes like this - bait up the hooks on the way out or while trolling, find spot x, clip on the sinker, then start clipping on the hooks between the crimps as it goes down. We use 15 per line. When you get to the end of the "bottom", clip on a pressure float. When she's all down, clip on a coupla big floats, mark it on yr gps. The whole thing now is hanging vertically in the water.Sometimes the fish are all on the bottom, sometimes at the top.

Somewhere in all this, work out first which way the currents going, so if the line drifts, you know where to start looking.

We usually leave it down for about 90 mins while we set another, or go trolling.

It takes a while to get it all together but it's good when it starts working.

Anymore questions, just ask. I'm sure snelly's got some good info to add to this.

Cheers,
    jigs
    Last edited by jigsnreels; 01-09-2007 at 07:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by banshee View Post
    How do you blokes prepare/cook your Blue Eye?
    Good question Pat, think we have talked about it before, I didn't find the Blue-Eye all that good.

Muzz

Thanks mate much appreciated.

I just buy the fish coating at the local supermarket...and fry it in butter...

Drop lines we use are 6mm rope...25 kg lead weight...and we space our hooks about 2 meters apart...we also use glow sticks and a burley bag tied to the weight...This is where a pot hauler comes in handy..

As for retrieving the line...steady as she goes.....By pulling the rope up too fast will loose the fish off the hooks....

Good quality circle hooks are a must...

Our biggest problem is those stinking theiving fish snatches..(seals)...

Cheers Mick

Great thread and very interesting replies, have really enjoyed reading how you guys fish 'the deep'.
    My hat is off to you gents, you really put a lot of time, effort and money into your fishing, and IMHO truly deserve every fish you catch.
    Cheers, may your seas be slight and your lines tight!

Thanks to all who answered,a great help ,hanging out to get out there cheers fella's.
    Quote Originally Posted by nigelr View Post
    Great thread and very interesting replies, have really enjoyed reading how you guys fish 'the deep'.
    My hat is off to you gents, you really put a lot of time, effort and money into your fishing, and IMHO truly deserve every fish you catch.

Quote Originally Posted by nigelr View Post
    Thanks Nigel....

I do sometimes worry that by posting how we fish the deeper side of the shelf may offend people..ie...drop lining or long lining..

Here in Tassie we are allowed 30 hooks each..or max of 5 long lines/ drop lines per boat...As we are venturing so far offshore and the cost of fuel is so great then setting a few longlines and drop lines helps us maximise our trip...we are not looking to go out and bag 50 blue eye ..just enough for a feed for the crew....

But i must admit..there have been times when we have set 30 hooks and caught 25 School shark...we are only allowed 5 per boat..so the rest just get set free...

The is a fine art to real deep water fishing..a lot of people just think you go out wide and drop your line over...but that is just not the case...

We have found very productive fishing grounds by just plainly covering big areas and depths...and with the help of local fisherman and trawler operators....who do not mind talking and giving advice on what to look for and what depths to fish in...and occasionally giving me gps Co for Spot X really helps...

I like all sorts of fishing but the really deep blue yonda get me excited ..because you never know what you are going to catch ...and usually the fish are way...way bigger than anything being caught inshore...and as we all know...deep water fish are the better eating fish..eg...blue eye..harpuka..stripey trumpeter..ect..

I would just like to finish off by saying that anyone reading this thread who wishes to venture out to the deep blue ...just be very...very careful and respect the weather..as mother nature can be really nasty when things turn sour out past the shelf...and travelling 20-30 kn miles home can turn into a life threatening experience...

Had a few of those trips...

Mick

[quote=jigsnreels;676018]Get some braid. Use tuna circles or baitsavers, 3 or 4 at a time. Squid's the best bait. Get a big sinker.Look for reef just above the 600' line. Mark yr drifts on the plotter - if you score, go back over it.

Not sure if it's legal in NSWbut in Tas we use droplines for this caper, down to 1500' - set the line, 10 - 20 hooks, clip on a float, mark it on the gps come back in an hour, Don't forget to use a pressue float or all yr hooks will be in a pile on the bottom.

You can get trumpeter on top of the shelf, the occasional latchet. Over the edge, it's blueye, gemfish and grenadier, all top table tucker. You also see the odd ooglie like rays bream, sabrefish etc. Its great fun go for it, but b
    Be prepared for a steep learning curve and sore arms.

Here are a coupla clips of some mugs at work

Cheers,
    Yockman " Not sure if it's legal in NSW but in Tas we use droplines for this caper, down to 1500' - set the line, 10 - 20 hooks, clip on a float, mark it on the gps come back in an hour"

Yockman....... Is this fishing or harvesting ..... These are the sought of practices that should be banned everywhere ( IMO) :cry: ....... Might as well use dynamite ...... Nagg

Nagg, there's no doubt about it, these are food gathering trips to feed my family. You walk into a shop with money in your pocket, you look for the best value. We go out there, we're looking for best value too.

Please spare me the "it's not sporting" line. All of us use boats made from high tech materials, high tech engines to get there, high tech electronics, including hardware courtesy of the US military to find our spots, high tech rods and reels to present a bait. Against a simple 1, 2 or 20kg fish. You call that sporting?

Now if you paddle out in your own hand made dugout canoe, with your line made from twisted plant fibre, and a hook you've fashioned from bone, and take on a fish your own size, then I'm ready to say "you're a sportsman".

Cheers,
    Jigs
    Last edited by jigsnreels; 03-09-2007 at 09:35 AM.