Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: bottom bouncing the shelf

Re: bottom bouncing the shelf

Thanks for that Nigler

i didn't know that but it hardly affects the point i was trying to make !! Nagg is having ago at Snelly and his LEGAL and supposedly unsustainable fishing style, yet he fishes the maxium allowed gear when given the chance !!!!! And if every fisherman in NSW about 2 000 000 i would think used 4 rods how long would there already buggered fishery last!!! 8 millon rods shame shame shame!!

Ian

ps I know my arguement is DUM!!! but it's basically the same one Nagg's been using!! 4 x 30 hooks shocking shocking shocking yada yada yada!!!

ian
    Alcohol doesn't agree with me, but i sure do enjoy the argument!!!

Quote Originally Posted by finding_time View Post
    ps I know my arguement is DUM!!!
    ian
    At least you got that right, Ian

This set line style of fishing sounds like a hell of a lot of trouble to go to for a feed of fish.
    Not my style at all, but have not actually experienced fishing in 500m.I'm spoilt for choice where I live however and dont need to go to the ends of the earth to get a feed..
    However we shouldn't be critical of other fishers in other places who fish within the laws.
    Nagg,you have made you point quite clearly,here.Maybe if you feel that strongly about this issue its time to take your crusade to the powers that be in an effort to be heard and have the laws changed.
    Certainly been an entertaining thread,though

Scott

Yes, certainly an excellent thread!
    Great to gain an appreciation of Snelly and the effort he has to make, let alone the weather he has to brave, in order to get a feed!
    Interesting to read everybodys' viewpoints, certainly gained an insight into bottom bashing the shelf .
    Cheers and may your seas be slight and your lines tight!

This is just tooooooooo much!! This is Naggs best ever fishing trip report!!!

For me......A few sesions on Jewfish off Broken Bay (NSW)...I'd get to the mark a couple of hours before sunset ( coinciding with a change of tide )..... Put out 4 rods & have all the rods go off ( land a couple ) .......This would be the state of play until about 8.30pm ( 3 hours )..........In the end i could only fish 2 rods because that's all i could get in before a hook up( fish of 4 - 10kg ).......Best session 25 fish....24 jews & 1 nasty hairtail ( kept... 1 jew , 1 hairtail )

NAGG

Nagg

this was your report from the "Best Fishing Session Ever !!! ( What's yours ) "thread from the 19.11.2006 and it raises a few questions about your fishing practices!!

What's the leagal number of rods one angler is allowed to use in NSW, I'm sure it wouldn't be 4!!! This would be very unsustainable for the fishery if every angler was allowed 4 rods each!!!

24 jew fish in one session ? Is this best practice? i realized you released 23 but what sort of condition were they in? And how many were cleaned up by sharks once returned to the water in a weakend state?

No wonder your worried about tassie anglers taking to many fish and using the maxium allowed fishing gear , your judging them by your own practices!!!

Reading this post i cant but help feel that you are a Hypocrite.

4 RODS tut tut tut!!! Very very naughty Nagg!!

Ian
    G'day Ian ...... Firstly let me confirm for you that 4 rods are legal in NSW ( 3 hooks on each) ..... I used 1 hook + stinger for live bait & squid. Secondly I was fishing very shallow (15M) .... fish were knocked over quickly & some released while still in the water ..... The fish kept was a bad bleeder & I would normally not release any fish that I didn't think were in good condition......(I have been criticised by a mate for keeping a 103cm barra ... because I could not revive it adequately after trying for 15 mins) Also I do like eating fish regardless. .....
    Now am I a hypocrite ? .... Probably not!( just evolving in my attitude to fishing & methods used ) ...... These days most of my fishing is lurecasting , Sps & Fly ..... One rod only! The exception (bait) is when someone tags along that is not an experienced fisho ..... My current boat is set up to enable me to release fish in the best condition possible ( live wells , enviro net , lip gripper ) ...... & I still take fish for the table .... but these days you will never see a photo of me with a deck full of dead fish ...... Those days are 10 years or so behind me.

Ian now to quote you "
    No wonder your worried about tassie anglers taking to many fish and using the maxium allowed fishing gear , your judging them by your own practices!!!
    Actually ... You are right Ian .... Except for the fact that I release a high percentage of my catch ......YES! ... I really am an example of someone that understood a location & species (Mulloway)... & had the ability to go out .... bag out on both qty & size using maximum allowable tackle... pretty well every trip for 4-5 months of the year ..... My limitations were that ... I had a 90 min drive to the boat ramp .... A 40 min run & needed to fish into the night.... offshore in an open boat with the prevailing 20 knot NE wind that blows most afternoons during a Sydney summer + dodging black Noreasters & the occasional lightning storm ....while anchored over a hump on a reef ..Many times I would bag out & not bring a fish home.. (but usually 1 was kept) Now what would it be like if I had the attitude that its OK ... because its within regulations & I can & will take home the limit each trip I actually fished with the idea of limiting my Kill ... Not Killing my limit ... well before it became a catchy phrase ...... So Ian, thank you for reminding me just why I have such a strong opinion on the subject Cheers .... Nagg
    PS ..... Enjoy .... Sorry about the quality Attachment 13837
    Anyhow .... I dont think I'm a hypocrite

105km winds today, not quite so strong yesterday or day before but more of that strenth for the next week
    gotta love tassie
    cheers
    blaze

Of course you are Nagg!! You fish your way using the maximum gear allowed and so does Snelly,both of you are following the rules yet you critisize Snelly. this = Hypocrite!!

Snelly doesn't pretend to be " Green " and catching fish for fun and releasing almost as many as he catches! I doubt the trevella would be to healthy after being dragged from 500m!! He doesn't have that luxury!

I notice from your post your a river and impoundment fisherman, with the odd venture into the deep to pull jewies from 15m of water! Do you have any idea how energy sapping it is to pull big fish from 100m of water let alone 500m No wonder they use 30 hooks, if you dont maximise your chances your going to go home empty handed!! It's not as if you'll say " argh well the last 20 drops haven't produced by we'll have another few go's before heading home. Mate i just dont think you have any concept of what's Snelly's doing, and as i said earlier you lost this arguement on page 3! Your just being stuborn!

Ian

Ps. organizations like PETA would much prefer a fisherman like snelly who catches for food than guy's like you and i that are more into catch and release, we are no1 on there hit list!

PPS. do you really believe that all those 23 jew you released lived to fight another day!! Maybe i'll have to add naive to the list
    Alcohol doesn't agree with me, but i sure do enjoy the argument!!!

Quote Originally Posted by blaze View Post
    105km winds today, not quite so strong yesterday or day before but more of that strenth for the next week
    gotta love tassie
    cheers
    blaze
    60+ knts, , sh!!!!!!!!!!t...................

This is just tooooooooo much!! This is Naggs best ever fishing trip report!!!

For me......A few sesions on Jewfish off Broken Bay (NSW)...I'd get to the mark a couple of hours before sunset ( coinciding with a change of tide )..... Put out 4 rods & have all the rods go off ( land a couple ) .......This would be the state of play until about 8.30pm ( 3 hours )..........In the end i could only fish 2 rods because that's all i could get in before a hook up( fish of 4 - 10kg ).......Best session 25 fish....24 jews & 1 nasty hairtail ( kept... 1 jew , 1 hairtail )

NAGG

Nagg

this was your report from the "Best Fishing Session Ever !!! ( What's yours ) "thread from the 19.11.2006 and it raises a few questions about your fishing practices!!

What's the leagal number of rods one angler is allowed to use in NSW, I'm sure it wouldn't be 4!!! This would be very unsustainable for the fishery if every angler was allowed 4 rods each!!!

24 jew fish in one session ? Is this best practice? i realized you released 23 but what sort of condition were they in? And how many were cleaned up by sharks once returned to the water in a weakend state?

Reading this post i cant but help feel that you are a Hypocrite.

4 RODS tut tut tut!!! Very very naughty Nagg!!

Ian

Ha ha Thanks Ian....you have just made my day.....what a nobber you are Nagg....Fancy calling me a butcher....mmmm.....4 rods eh....You would look like a bloody trawler getting around.....Especially after your last post about....YOU KNOW WHAT WE WOULD BE UP TO IF WE CAUGHT X AMMOUNT OF FISH EXTRA......of course you would know.....your one of them....

And as for catch and release...well with my 10 odd years fish farming experience...I know first hand ...that FISH....do not like to be stressed out....So how many of your fish survive Nagg...you BUTCHER......

Sorry Fellow Ausfishers for the NAME calling...

BUT......

When you get some IDIOT bagging you out for the way you fish....only then to find out what HE is up to then....mmmmm.....Need i say anymore....

NAGG,.......you have been CAUGHT OUT

Mick

Quote Originally Posted by nigelr View Post
    Actually Ian, I do believe 4 rods per person is the max permitted in NSW, but as I'm sure you are aware, you have to be very, shall I say 'hard core' to even attempt to fish with that number.

Cheers!
    Nigelr ..... As you say " Hard Core !" ..... & yes I did fish hard core during the 90s ..... It was just FUN ! ..... These days .... its different & I fish differently & I have a different approach to my fishing !
    ...... I wonder why ....... May be it has something to do with my own results

As Quoted ......

NAGG

PS .... These days the biggest advocates of the ANTI SMOKING debate .... Are EX SMOKERS!
    PPS ....... Mr Fish Kisser ...... In his first fishing book while still a VFL player shows pictures of when he used to bag bag bag out on Snapper in Vic
    .... These days he is Mr Kiss Kiss & release ...... So attitudes do change

PS....Ian....YOOOOOOOUUUUR A legend.......

Thanks ............

Mick

Quote Originally Posted by snelly1971 View Post
    PS....Ian....YOOOOOOOUUUUR A legend.......

Thanks ............

Mick
    Mick .... Go back to my post less than 1 hour ago .... Nagg

just read this thread, informative until got hi-jacked, really appreciate the efforts, guts and skills of the guys who fish on the shelf, others have expressed it better but I dont appreciate the guys who try to force their views down others throats who are fishing legally in their backyard, people can make their point yes but some of it goes to far, didnt like the reference to Hitler, uncalled for bombastic and crass,

reckon respect others in their backyard, 'glasshouses' comes to mind,
    mike
    Tangles KFC

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Mick .... Go back to my post less than 1 hour ago .... Nagg
    Well why didnt you state this information at the start .....maybe then ...we ....Ausfishers....may have been able to understand why you felt so strong about what we are doing is wrong....BUT....NO.....your SLIM your way around....bagging others out..!!!!!!!!.....

Hi Blaze...60 knots eh.....its only a sea breeze for you

I have been working down at Sarah Island....20 NM down the bay...we had 48 knots monday week ago......The big Tri-Hull....just lapped it up....cruised home doing 18 knots....

Mick

This pic looks like your trip home snelly, maybe................
    I'm thinking 'Worlds' most dangerous catch' scenarios!

Cheers to all.

Hasn't this caused a bit of a bun fight!!

Started to read this thread and found it quite interesting, reading about what's required by some people to fish around Tassie in very deep water. Then the snarls started, so I went to the last post and went backwards from there. I imagine that all the posts in the middle are just the same as the beginning and the end, so I won't read them.

It's like what Great White said a couple of weeks ago, isn't it, why can't some people just leave it alone without forcing their opinions on everybody else and spoiling what what is a very interesting thread?

The guys that fish like this are a lot braver than me and at the end of the day, they aren't doing anything illegal, so what's the problem? I also believe that the amount of fish they catch isn't going to cause too many shudders in the sustainability area.

Naggs' never ending replies remind me of another person quite some time ago who just wouldn't let it go. I wonder if Naggs is the same person by another name? Mate, just get over it and let life go on.

TOL