Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: bottom bouncing the shelf

Re: bottom bouncing the shelf

Thats ok Nagg....YOU can have your opinion....

Just dont try and make us...law abiding citizens... out to be fisherman who dont care about the future or sustainability of our local fish stocks...which...ONCE again...you know nothing about....

Mick..

PS....If you want to make a point...then why do you ignore information which has been posted by GM and Blaze...

PPS....Have your opinion Nagg...just seems that all the other Ausfish members who are involved in this thread take a different opinion than you..!!!!!!

I've followed this thread for quite a while now, but staying out of it, since I do no deep sea fishing myself, and have nothing constuctive to offer, but Nagg, your comments about Hitler were just plain uncalled for, and frankly quite offensive to not just myself but maybe the vast majority of all ausfishers, not to mention other people around the world who won't ever read this. It is at this point that I suggest that although you direct the hitler comment at someone else, I believe it is you who are behaving as such a vicious and savage dictator by not hearing and showing empathy to others and their opinions. From reading your coments, you are quite intent on making your views not only heard, but basically saying "my way or the highway pal".

Before you start critising others fishing practices, you should be undertaking more research rather than just going at it hammer and tongs, trying to force people to believe you are right without question. In saying that, perhaps you are right in this instance, but without any sort of facts to back yourself up, and to present a more convincing case, you are making yourself out to be a walking joke, whom people will eventually stop "listening" to.

Thumbs up Re: bottom bouncing the shelf

Well said, Scott Nqld, Couldnt agree more. People do find that offensive. Snelly, Quite impressed with the conditions you describe way down there in Tassy. Really cant appreciate it as I only fish inshore reefs. Be down in Tassy in December for a holiday so Ill Have a look around and see what Its really like
    Fishing! Its the way of life.
    Southwind 6.70

Quote Originally Posted by Willow1 View Post
    Well said, Scott Nqld, Couldnt agree more. People do find that offensive. Snelly, Quite impressed with the conditions you describe way down there in Tassy. Really cant appreciate it as I only fish inshore reefs. Be down in Tassy in December for a holiday so Ill Have a look around and see what Its really like
    Make sure you call around Willow and we will have a day out fishing....if the weather permits..

Cheers Mick

Thanks,Mick might take you up on the offer. Definately call around for a chat and check out your Rig. Cheers Shane
    Fishing! Its the way of life.
    Southwind 6.70

hey people,fair sort of a stouche going on here 4 cups of coffee and here i am .
    nagg, i would have thought comparisons to Lord Howe are a bit ambitious as doesnt that get flogged by longliners from all over the world??

worst part about catching so many blue eye is it takes hours to clean them all

tassie bluefin numbers would be more related to how many are caught before they enter our waters wouldnt it??
    we've had 2 very good sbt runs in a row ,dont forget the brilliant season in 2006 when they were also catching 120kg fish off portland in vc as well
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by bluecat View Post
    hey people,fair sort of a stouche going on here 4 cups of coffee and here i am .
    nagg, i would have thought comparisons to Lord Howe are a bit ambitious as doesnt that get flogged by longliners from all over the world??

worst part about catching so many blue eye is it takes hours to clean them all

tassie bluefin numbers would be more related to how many are caught before they enter our waters wouldnt it??
    we've had 2 very good sbt runs in a row ,dont forget the brilliant season in 2006 when they were also catching 120kg fish off portland in vc as well
    cheers
    Dont waste your time BC.....Nagg knows best..

Mick

Quote Originally Posted by Scott nthQld View Post
    I've followed this thread for quite a while now, but staying out of it, since I do no deep sea fishing myself, and have nothing constructive to offer, but Nagg, your comments about Hitler were just plain uncalled for, and frankly quite offensive to not just myself but maybe the vast majority of all ausfishers, not to mention other people around the world who won't ever read this. It is at this point that I suggest that although you direct the hitler comment at someone else, I believe it is you who are behaving as such a vicious and savage dictator by not hearing and showing empathy to others and their opinions. From reading your coments, you are quite intent on making your views not only heard, but basically saying "my way or the highway pal".

Before you start critising others fishing practices, you should be undertaking more research rather than just going at it hammer and tongs, trying to force people to believe you are right without question. In saying that, perhaps you are right in this instance, but without any sort of facts to back yourself up, and to present a more convincing case, you are making yourself out to be a walking joke, whom people will eventually stop "listening" to.

scott ....As I previously mentioned ,my use of Hitler was extreme (maybe I should have said GW Bush) ..... & If you understood the context , maybe it would be seen a little different (maybe) .... Its very easy to talk about empathy & hearing others opinions .... Till someone tells you to " Shut your mouth" for expressing your opinion ...... Worst still , someone else quotes this & agrees ... .... Go Pauline ! ..... Hence the reference ............. However I didn't hear too many berate someone for telling another member to "Shut their mouth" ..... But it seems that has been overlooked ....... you know what .... It is interesting to quote government supplied catch figures .... Its funnier that people believe it! ..... We in NSW have had new marine parks thrust upon us (Grey Nurse shark habitats) ... based on Government sponsored research!!!!! (citing the population which has all been tagged & released sits at several hundred individuals ...... Yet in reality the population is much stronger than estimated ...... Dozens of untagged GN sharks filmed within the very same closed area...... How can that be !) ..... I may have drifted here a little ... but it does show some anomalies in following government!
    So back to my original point of the allowable practice of 4 set lines with 30 hooks on each / boat ..... & these drop lines are allowed to free drift Hypothetically ..... If fisho A ... Goes out at 5am 60Nm (after being blown out for 4 weeks) .... shoots his 4 drop lines (with 30 hooks on each) in 500 meters of water ........ Returns 1 hour later & bags out on his Gem fish or blue eye ..... Allowing 30 mins to haul each drop ...... Its now 11am ....... What does Fisho A do ? ..... Keep fishing ??? , Go home , ..... or say we will target something else ( What? , who knows in 500M ) ... & if you catch another blue eye ( I'll let it go !) ... even though its swim bladder has blown & its only a 10% chance that it will survive ..... Mate I've been around long enough ... & I'm pretty confident of the answer to this scenario
    Disclaimer ...... This does not refer to any individual/s that may be participating in this thread! .... specially if it is one of those nice days. As I said I have been around long enough & I have seen what can happen,that flouts the laws ..... I have been questioned many times on why I have thrown No3 jewie back after 1 hours fishing ........ I'm no crusader thats for sure!
    And ... then again bluecat quotes " nagg, i would have thought comparisons to Lord Howe are a bit ambitious as doesnt that get flogged by longliners from all over the world??" ..... Hey nice try .... But the main fishing areas around lord Howe Is (Balls Pryamid , Elizabeth & Middleton reefs) are Marine reserves & have been for quite a few years (10-15) ....... But hey lets not get facts in the way of a good reply ..... The reality is that the few boats that could get to a place like Balls .... Hammered the crap out of the place over 20 years( & the population declined from ball breaker 40-100lb fish down to 10-30lb fish ..... this is not anecdotal ... this is reality so before I sign off on this long winded reply .... Keep in mind there is no place that is too wild , too remote that allows such a naive approach to any Fishery ...... call me names if you wish ... so be it ..... Nagg ..
    PS.Not too many people have called me an idiot either (other names yes )

yes but surely you arent saying that the deepwater fish or yellowfin off lord howe which is 400miles off our coastline,arent there due to recreational pressures???

even if it has, i am sure our fisheries departments already know what sort of pressures our national resources can handle

theres at least one boat tied up in all our major ports down here with auto/baiting/ setting longlining gear that can set up to 15000 hooks in a few hours
    this sort of puts things into perspective slightly doesnt it...
    go find another crew and set another 80 hooks snelly
    Last edited by bluecat; 04-10-2007 at 08:35 AM.

I’m not disagreeing with you Nagg, I too believe that 4 long lines with 30 hooks is a bit much, but with out any facts to back myself up, how can I present a convincing argument and not come across as a whinger. Now I have stated my opinion I will post no further on it until I have something to back it up unless, I am asked for my reasons, which certainly didn’t happen earlier in this thread (for those who are wondering my reasons I just don’t think its very fair on the fish, but that’s all I’ve got to go on so I won’t say anymore).

Which is exactly my point, your above post has held the only 2 facts you have presented, you still felt the need to casually fling comparisons to Hitler around to be “extreme”. Well guess what buddy, whether or not you wanted to offend people, you have, and you should’ve realised this even before you decided to make such an offensive remark. I too accused you of being the dictator here, but unlike you I did consider the consequences of make such comparisons and come to the conclusion that you are being so ignorant that you wouldn’t care anyway. After all, if you accidentally kill someone, its still called manslaughter whether you meant to do it or not. (A bit extreme here, but the principle is the same)

That’s all people are asking for, facts to back up your claims, facts I might add, that directly apply to Tasmania’s marine system, and not somewhere else around the country or world for that matter. The only reason people are telling you to keep your mouth shut, is because you have over ridden this thread from its original cause (advice for bottom bashing the shelf, in case you have forgotten) to push your own agenda, not by a convincing and factually based argument, but what started as opinion and turned to never ending whining and abuse of other members.

To sum up for you, stop trying to whinge people into taking your side, but present the data and facts to back your opinion, so it does not appear unfounded and nonsense. That’s all we are asking….

Scott

Some good points there Scott..

Nagg has never been to Tassies west coast and fish here at that...

So that makes his statements about HOW our fisheries should be run ...more laughable...Nagg keeps on saying that we cant trust Gov bodies....well...What makes Nagg so special that we should take his advice....especially when he has never been here...let alone understand our regulations....and when Information is posted which he has no answer to...then he just ignores it and winges another way..

30 hooks by 4 lines...yes Nagg...That is the max per boat....but not once in this thread has it been said...that we use 4 drop lines...

Just think about it....If we used 4 drop lines at 550 meters...plus probably 100meters extra to allow for tide ect...that is one hell of alot of rope to carry on a boat....It would equate to 2 Plastic 44 Gallon drums full of rope....then add 16 8 inch buoys...ect...get the drift???....add the 4 crew ....needed so we can set 4 lines....

Well ...then there is no room....unless you have a 40 foot boat...which i dont think many Ausfish members have..

I wont apologise for telling Nagg to shut his mouth....This thread was about how to fish the shelf...not about bag limits or regulations...

So ...Nagg...if you want to winge...then start your own thread...I would be more than HAPPY...to have my say !!!!!!!

Mick

gees you lot still going!!!

Nagg , give it a rest mate , we know your point of view, and who knows maybe some day someone will bother to read these 177 post and actually agree with you ( best of luck with that ) You have been repeatably told that most of the guys only use 2 lines yet you keep repeating the 4 lines X 30 hooks like your some sort of parrot. I've never done any deep droping but reading this thread it sounds like the hardest bloody fishing style in the world and that combined with the weather they have down there and low population ( less silly buggers ) i'm sure there will be plenty of blue eye for anyone stupid enough to drop a line in 500m of water for years to come.

Snelly

keep up the good work , you west coast guys are @#$%^%$ nuts!!!

Ian
    Last edited by finding_time; 04-10-2007 at 02:40 PM.
    Alcohol doesn't agree with me, but i sure do enjoy the argument!!!

Congratulations!!!!!!!! I think this is the first time I've seen an Ausfish thread comply with Godwins Law:
    The Godwin in Godwin's Law is Mike Godwin, the General Council of the Wikipedia Foundation. And Godwin has authored the most brilliant insight into the logical conclusion of all Internet chat:
    “As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approach one."

Anyone know of other threads here that have reached this point? I dont read every thread.........

This is just tooooooooo much!! This is Naggs best ever fishing trip report!!!

For me......A few sesions on Jewfish off Broken Bay (NSW)...I'd get to the mark a couple of hours before sunset ( coinciding with a change of tide )..... Put out 4 rods & have all the rods go off ( land a couple ) .......This would be the state of play until about 8.30pm ( 3 hours )..........In the end i could only fish 2 rods because that's all i could get in before a hook up( fish of 4 - 10kg ).......Best session 25 fish....24 jews & 1 nasty hairtail ( kept... 1 jew , 1 hairtail )

NAGG

Nagg

this was your report from the "Best Fishing Session Ever !!! ( What's yours ) "thread from the 19.11.2006 and it raises a few questions about your fishing practices!!

What's the leagal number of rods one angler is allowed to use in NSW, I'm sure it wouldn't be 4!!! This would be very unsustainable for the fishery if every angler was allowed 4 rods each!!!

24 jew fish in one session ? Is this best practice? i realized you released 23 but what sort of condition were they in? And how many were cleaned up by sharks once returned to the water in a weakend state?

No wonder your worried about tassie anglers taking to many fish and using the maxium allowed fishing gear , your judging them by your own practices!!!

Reading this post i cant but help feel that you are a Hypocrite.

4 RODS tut tut tut!!! Very very naughty Nagg!!

Ian
    Last edited by finding_time; 04-10-2007 at 03:52 PM.
    Alcohol doesn't agree with me, but i sure do enjoy the argument!!!

Actually Ian, I do believe 4 rods per person is the max permitted in NSW, but as I'm sure you are aware, you have to be very, shall I say 'hard core' to even attempt to fish with that number.

Cheers!