Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
Results 136 to 150 of 205
  1. #136

    Re: bottom bouncing the shelf

    Quote Originally Posted by flyingfish View Post
    hi Snelly1971,

    Just wondering if you have to drop anchor at those depths and if so what type of setup do you use?

    Thanks

    flyingfish
    I will posts some pics tonight for you of what we use...

    Mick

    PS..Its going to be a nice day then Blaze....LOL

  2. #137

    Re: bottom bouncing the shelf

    Quote Originally Posted by snelly1971 View Post
    Not negative my Ar$e....what would you call it then Nagg...

    And my last question to you Naggs...what makes you an expert on Tasmanian Fisheries....and weather conditions....you seem to jump the gun and compare us very quickly to others parts of Aus without ever being here..

    I am pretty sure that those in charge of our fisheries .....understand...and have a lot more knowledge of how to run a sucessful Rec...and Commercial ...substainable fisheries for future generations.....Not some outsider who has never been....or seen the place...and then making such strong comments..


    Mick
    OK ... I'm negative ..... I have no knowledge .... cant read or listen ..... .. But I will continue to express an opinion .... Nagg

  3. #138

    Re: bottom bouncing the shelf

    Quote Originally Posted by snelly1971 View Post
    I will posts some pics tonight for you of what we use...

    Mick

    PS..Its going to be a nice day then Blaze....LOL

    There you go...These are what Commercial Fisherman call Morris Anchors....only difference between mine and there`s is they use 50mm by 12mm solid hooks instead of 12mm or 16mm rio....These are great because they grab the bottom so easily....if they foul up then give them a tow and this bend the rio bars...grab a large shifter and just rebend straight again....we usually use 6 or 8`` water pipe...about 500mm long ....any more info needed then just ask...

    Mick

  4. #139

    Re: bottom bouncing the shelf

    Sorry...Flyingfish....I meant to add...yes i usually drop anchor...we have sort of put our own FAD buoy at spot X to tie up to...its a very rare day here when the tide is slack enough to just drift...and i have found that by anchoring up and burleying heaps then more fish seem to turn up..

    Mick

  5. #140

    Re: bottom bouncing the shelf

    Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    OK ... I'm negative ..... I have no knowledge .... cant read or listen ..... .. But I will continue to express an opinion .... Nagg
    Express all you like Thats what Ausfish is aboutJust dont expect me to sit back and let you dribble about our state and its laws when you have never been here and dont fully understand our circumstances..

    Mick


    PS...Dont believe everthing you read or hear...

  6. #141

    Re: bottom bouncing the shelf

    Express all you like Thats what Ausfish is aboutJust dont expect me to sit back and let you dribble about our state and its laws when you have never been here and dont fully understand our circumstances..

    Mick


    PS...Dont believe everthing you read or hear...

    OR HAVE BLIND FAITH IN YOUR STATE GOVERNMENTS ADMINISTRATORS ... Nagg

  7. #142

    Re: bottom bouncing the shelf

    Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Express all you like Thats what Ausfish is aboutJust dont expect me to sit back and let you dribble about our state and its laws when you have never been here and dont fully understand our circumstances..

    Mick


    PS...Dont believe everthing you read or hear...

    OR HAVE BLIND FAITH IN YOUR STATE GOVERNMENTS ADMINISTRATORS ... Nagg
    One big difference.......I fish here...i know my state... I have fished as a Rec ...and on Commercial boat....all over Tassie....So I DO have knowledge...FIRST hand KNOWLEDGE...unlike some who just go on hear say....or what they may have read....

    Mick

  8. #143

    Re: bottom bouncing the shelf

    Quote Originally Posted by snelly1971 View Post
    One big difference.......I fish here...i know my state... I have fished as a Rec ...and on Commercial boat....all over Tassie....So I DO have knowledge...FIRST hand KNOWLEDGE...unlike some who just go on hear say....or what they may have read....

    Mick

    OR THOSE THAT HAVE A VESTED INTEREST .... Nagg
    PS ... This seems to go deeper than just a disagreement over ideologies & state laws

  9. #144

    Re: bottom bouncing the shelf

    G'day all,

    What a boring read ... a dozen pages of arguement over a topic where the accuser could have gained a lot by checking AFMA catch history, and in particular the proven stable catch effort / rate per 100 hooks.

    Can we get back to talking about gear setup and techniques?

    The shelf is a lonely place.

    If you are venturing wide, make sure it is in a shelf capable boat in tip top condition.

    A 1kw + sounder is pretty much essential.

    Fishing the deep water over the shelf is an art in itself - lots of fun, a very steep learning curve, and a lot of disappointment until you learn the techniques.
    Running out 35+ miles to find you cant drop because the current is too strong is heaps of fun

    Also, if you understood the nature of where you find trevalla on the shelf, you would understand that 30 hooks per line is far from excessive... you are targeting a specific 30m area in a water column 500m deep, not just "bottom fishing with 30 hooks"

    It is nothing like inshore reef fishing - take that as gospel.

    The hardest thing I found about bottom bouncing the shelf is getting 1/2 a ton of fish up on the plane

    Is now a good time to post photos?

    Cheers

    Pete

  10. #145

    Re: bottom bouncing the shelf

    Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post

    OR THOSE THAT HAVE A VESTED INTEREST .... Nagg
    PS ... This seems to go deeper than just a disagreement over ideologies & state laws
    Go and chain yourself to a tree or bulldozer....Just worry about where you fish and not other peoples back yard..

    Vested interest.....Sure Have....I live here...fish here...and have forgotten more about our fisheries than you seem to know........


    Mick

  11. #146

    Re: bottom bouncing the shelf

    Quote Originally Posted by Grand_Marlin View Post
    G'day all,

    What a boring read ... a dozen pages of arguement over a topic where the accuser could have gained a lot by checking AFMA catch history, and in particular the proven stable catch effort / rate per 100 hooks.

    Can we get back to talking about gear setup and techniques?

    The shelf is a lonely place.

    If you are venturing wide, make sure it is in a shelf capable boat in tip top condition.

    A 1kw + sounder is pretty much essential.

    Fishing the deep water over the shelf is an art in itself - lots of fun, a very steep learning curve, and a lot of disappointment until you learn the techniques.
    Running out 35+ miles to find you cant drop because the current is too strong is heaps of fun

    Also, if you understood the nature of where you find trevalla on the shelf, you would understand that 30 hooks per line is far from excessive... you are targeting a specific 30m area in a water column 500m deep, not just "bottom fishing with 30 hooks"

    It is nothing like inshore reef fishing - take that as gospel.

    The hardest thing I found about bottom bouncing the shelf is getting 1/2 a ton of fish up on the plane

    Is now a good time to post photos?

    Cheers

    Pete
    Pete ! .... yes it has become boring ..... But the gripe goes back to
    30 Hooks x 4 / boat (120) .... That are free drifting drop lines .... as the TAS laws allows .... This is an amature version of a commercial practice ... That is probably not allowed anywhere else in Aust Nagg
    PS ..... There is no need to go to the difficulties of fishing the shelf & beyond ... & the skills involved ..... I have tried it (nice feed but not for me) ... & there is no problem with it ! .... NOW , Having said this ... Its time to leave it at that ...

  12. #147

    Re: bottom bouncing the shelf

    Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Pete ! .... yes it has become boring ..... But the gripe goes back to
    30 Hooks x 4 / boat (120) .... That are free drifting drop lines .... as the TAS laws allows .... This is an amature version of a commercial practice ... That is probably not allowed anywhere else in Aust Nagg
    PS ..... There is no need to go to the difficulties of fishing the shelf & beyond ... & the skills involved ..... I have tried it (nice feed but not for me) ... & there is no problem with it ! .... NOW , Having said this ... Its time to leave it at that ...
    Hi Nagg
    dont forget your commercial guys can rape and pilage the eustaries, the breeding ground. No one can do that in tassie, our backward laws dont allow it. Dont knock our laws mate, come down and have a look, as others and myself have mention the hand of hospitality still goes out. Come with an open mind, look listen and learn. Thats what I do when I fish in some elses back yard and love the differences.

  13. #148

    Re: bottom bouncing the shelf

    Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Pete ! 30 Hooks x 4 / boat (120) .... That are free drifting drop lines

    30 hooks, yes ...

    Free drifting - NO

    A dropline that manages to break loose and free drift either becomes lost or doesnt catch any fish (usually)

    The aim is to get the line into the correct spot and have it stay there.
    The trevalla are usually not on the bottom - so hitting the correct spot, and being able to keep your hooks in the part of the water column where the fish are is very difficult.

    30 hooks never means 30 fish.

    30 hooks usually means 0 - 5 fish.

    4 lines per boat is the maximum, but rarely will we set more than 2

    After you have pulled 2 lines from this depth on a deckwinch, you are stuffed.

    As jigs n reels said earlier ... we usually drop a couple of lines as part of our day trolling for tuna.

    I dont know anyone in tassie that has ever gone out and set heaps of lines and spent all day doing it just to get as many fish as they can.
    Even before bag & hook limits were introduced to rec fisherman, no one did this.

    If 30 hooks = 30 fish on a regular basis, then yes, I would be totally against this practice too.

    The commercial trevalla fishery exists mainly in Tasmania and NSW.
    The trevalla do live off the shelf in QLD, but commercial fishing found it too "hit & miss" to be a viable commercial venture - due to the long distances travelled, the ever running strong current and the difficulties in targeting these fish in the areas they live (as mentioned before)

    I think you will find that most recreational fishermen have taken conservation to heart these days - even the drag knuckle, one eyed, inbred, west coast tasmanians

    The commercial dropline industry is, and always has been very strong in Tasmania.
    The Trevalla only live in certain places on the shelf - they do not inhabit every square inch of the place.
    You cant just pull up anywhere on the shelf and expect to catch trevalla - it just wont happen
    Therefore, the same places are targeted regularly similar to inshore reefs.
    Commercial fishing in tasmania has always been proven a strong industry - again referring to AFMA catch / effort data.
    This commercial fishery has been happening for at least 30 years that I know of.
    If the fisheries were being decimated, catch data would reflect this.

    The recorded historical data , combined with current management techniques, has proven that the fishery is alive and well, sustainable, renewable, and definitely not being decimated.

    Cheers

    Pete

  14. #149

    Re: bottom bouncing the shelf

    To me the situation in Tassie seems pretty clear. It apears to be a well managed recreational fishery that is thriving. It looks like they have sufficient safeguards in the form of bag limits to ensure sustainability. The low population pressure and difficult access are certainly factors to be taken into consideration when deciding what methods are sustainable.

    This whole issue is coming up more and more. The number of people who chip someone for taking a couple of Squire or farmed impoundment Barra is quite disconcerting. If its legal within our current fisheries management structure then it is a personal decision how you fish and what you keep. It is important not to try to impose personal ethical beliefs onto others when they have little or no scientific support

    From what I have seen here it requires a fair bit of skill and a well setup vessel in order to fish these remote areas and I for one would jump at the chance to experience a shelf trip

    Cheers

    Neil
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

  15. #150

    Re: bottom bouncing the shelf

    Hi Snelly1971,

    Thanks for the pictures and info.

    Flyingfish

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Join us