Thread: Snapper

Question Snapper

hi fello fisher people, good to see we got abit of rain down here hopefully we get some more for the dams. i was hopen someone can help me out with a few things with my snapper fishing as i have never caugth 1. do snapper hang towards the bottom or mid water? how deep should you fish in the winter & summer? out of a few threads that i have read they say the snapper took the plastic on the drop. ive just got into plastics & not that good at them yet(im geting there slowly) im more of a bait fisherman. anyhow if anyone could help me out that would be sweet.. happy fishing bill.

Re: Snapper

Where do you live bill, and what area are you talking about fishing, bay or offshore.
    Once you know the ground snapper hang out and best times to be on the water, its more of a technique plastic and hook weight choice that will make the difference in going home with a fish or going home empty. It took me awhile to get it right, and I am still learning.
    I have found my technique for shallow and deep water are two different styles.
    For shallow ground say 4m to 10m. Casting up current as far as you can and bringing the plastic across the bottom slowly works. If this doesn’t work you might have to mix it up a little in your retrieve, change to a different colour plastic hook weight..
    If you can get the bait to where the fish is and keep it there for as long as possible you are in with a better chance.
    Not saying this technique would not work in deeper water, because it has. But the conditions where perfect or had to use great weight.
    For deeper water I like to drop the plastic down to the bottom and use a jigging stile motion like lifting the rod up and down, keeping a eye on the sounder seeing where the fish are in the water column you my have to wind up and drop back down. Expect to be hit on the drop.
    I hope this helps and I am sure many on here can add to this, but this is what I have found has worked for me.. Good luck with getting your first snapper. Gill

thanks gill, i live an hour from bris & goldcoast. i prob should have said that i have a traler boat that can handle outside but not that far out. probly mainly bay fishing.

Just keep an eye on the estuary reports section and just ask heaps. Good site this is to learn from. Gill

will do thanks again gill