Thread: Slow Trolling Livies For Spaniards

Slow Trolling Livies For Spaniards

Hi all,

I want to give the spaniards a fare crack this year and would like some ideas on the best rigs for slow trolling livies.
    What rigs to use?......I was planning on bridle rigging the livies but do most use wire...???....Some guys say use wire then some say not to....???
    I was planning to just use a very short length of wire....????

Also if you are slow trolling livies whats the best set up for getting them down deeper........Barrell sinker onto swivel with a long leader down to hook and livie..???

Most of the livie trolling I have done has been for Marlin where no wire or lead is needed......

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Pete
    Last edited by Pistol_P; 24-08-2007 at 07:37 PM.

Re: Slow Trolling Livies For Spaniards

Pete,
    Fair dinkum you read my mind... I was thinking about this all morning at work today.

C'mon guys, I been wanting to tackle these with big livies also.

Jack.

I troll with 130 lb seven strand i crimp on a swivel and have a barrel sitting right on the liveys nose followed by a single hook then a treble as a stinger, the size of the sinker,hooks and length of trace is dictated by the size of the bait i troll but generally for slimeys no more than a 60 cm and for small tuna no more than a meter, i always fish with drag in full strike and if spanish short strikes and takes the fishes tail put the boat out of gear and wait for a second take which comes all the time.But if you intend to troll without wire i would not even get out of bed as you won't stand a chance 99% of the time, i used to troll with 90lb wire but soon learnt as i was getting bit off by a lot of horses or getting the fish to the boat and there was only a couple of strands hanging in there. I always have pre rigged traces for different sized baits, but if the fish are thick troll lures as you will sack up a lot more in a shorter period as they really love the lures at speed which gets them all hyped up, but baits are leathal when their gun shy.
    Cheers samson

Pistol P
    If you can see Mark Mono Stewart at the boat show. He will be able to help as this is his speciality . He showed me a few thing and is more then happy to help others, top bloke.
    Dwane

SAMSON
    What lures do you like to use on the spaniards and what speed?
    What speed do you use for the livees, as slow as the boat will go??
    Dwane

I use a couple of inches of singlestrand wire to a hook that goes just in front of the eyes and a second hook as a stinger just pining the bait further back. I have also used a 3rd small treble neat the tail. This is run a meter or so behind a large barrel sinker or on a d'rigger for best results
    Bring on Summer and the speedsters
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Mate i use minnows and lead head skirts, the minnows i mainly use are halco laser pros in the 190 size on the 50lb outfits and 160 size on the 30lb gear but i generally use 50lb as it avoids prolonged fights, sharks and boats running over fish and gives you a better hook up rate to drive those hooks in and land big bycatch like kings and gts that smash you on the light gear,i also use rapala cd's from 14's to 22's but love the 22's when the tuna become a nuisance as they weave out alot of better quality without getting annoyed by tuna.I use lead head hex head style lures also up to 9 inch with quality yo zuri skirts as cheaper skirts don't produce as well. The speed i run the minnows depending on conditions is 8 to 12 knots plus and skirts 12 to 18 plus knots but not all minnows straight out of the box handle these speeds so i usually discard them. With liveys i generally go slow as, usally 2 to 3 knots depending on current as if the current is running you will find you won't go any where unless you set up for for troll runs across reef and current to cover more ground and get better results. But with lures and baits your results will be dictated by finding their prefered feeding areas on the reef to get better results.
    PS don't let anybody tell you that you don't get spanish in dirty water i get better results in green water than blue their less spooky and bight right through the day in these conditions, but vary lure colours to suit water clarity and light conditions and you won't go wrong.
    Cheers samson

Thanks for the replies boys....appreciate it.

Horse....Why do run only a metre behind the swivel..?

Do you have your short length of wire just tied striaght onto hook and then up to a swivel?....Do you have your stinger the running off the hook via wire.....

Sorry....a heap more qustions....

Pete

Well I have a slightly different take then samson on using the Halco Laser pro lures.
    I have been having good success with trolling at 5-8 knots,2 foot of single strand wire trace in front and love to use lighter line.I have reels spooled with between 20 and 60 pound.
    I mostly now use 30lb but just spooled a new reel with 25lb because for me,I love a challenge.
    I find it boring as sh!t to skull drag a 10kg spanish in on 50lb line.Sure sharks get some,always do with any class of line but I like to feel the fish taking some line and putting up a fair fight.
    Even on 20kg plus models its much more fun on 30lb mono.
    My opinion anyway

Scott

Pete

You can go longer but I found it gets more difficult to handle especially if you are one up. Thinking about bit a bit more I probably use a bit longer as in 4'-5 '. Everything is on wire with a small swivel or ring to start with.
    Last edited by Horse; 25-08-2007 at 08:45 PM.
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"