Thread: South West Rocks sept

South West Rocks sept

Hi all

I am going down to South West Rocks this september. I'm confined to the land, therefore I will be fishing of the rocks and beaches only.

Could anyone please recommend some species i should target, i'm thinking of giving snapper a crack at. Which spots should I try aswell?

thanks

Owen

Re: South West Rocks sept

Hey Rockfisho....

Yeah I spent hours chasing fish around SWR.....Its an awesome place.
    I would forget about chasing snapper personally as its pretty tough going land based.
    I would focus on Jew.....On the beach your best time is obviously around the full and new moon....Find yourself a nice deep gutter and your a great chance.
    Squid was ALWAYS my favorite bait when I lived in NSW or a slab of tailor second to that.....On the beach that is.
    You can also chase Jew off the breakwalls on soft plastics.....Big 6 inch shads work well very well (so I am told by my mates down there....I never personally got one on SP's at SWR).
    We used to spin up small pike around the boat ramp and use them as livies off the wall.....You can spin them up on a light spin outfit and small minnow lures.
    I got drilled on the pike numerous times.....Hard to extract the big mummas off the wall though.....beach is alot friendlier.

Cheers
    Pete

Re: South West Rocks sept

Hey Owen,
    I lived at Kempsey for about 7 years and did quite a bit of fishing on beach and rocks in the area. I agree with PP....stick with jew, bream, (bit late for tailor), maybe the odd cobia. There are various spots on the rocks on the walk out from Hat Head camping ground out to Hat Head itself....spots called the Island (high rock shelf), some other spots (name escapes me now after 10 years) with deep gutters. I also had a lot of success under the lighthouse at SWR...from 4Wd entry to beach, turn left and walk to rocks. Some nice gutters and safe spots to fish not very far from where rocks begin. Caught bream, jew, taior etc. A lovely spot...

cheers, Mike