Thread: Balloons

Balloons

Hi all. I'm heading out on my annual reef charter from Mackay on Saturday. In the past I've used bits of styrene to float a pillie out for spanish while I reel in the trout. I'm considering changing to balloons, but for the life of me I can't think of a way, (other than stuffing around with two pound line) of attaching them to the line. Any suggestions?

Re: Balloons

you could try using a big swivel when attaching your leader and threading the end of the balloom through the eyelet to tie it off

Ausfish Platinum Member whiteman's Avatar

1. blow the balloon up
    2. loop the tie end around your fingers as if you are going to tie it off but don't let the knot tighten
    3. thread a loop from the fishing line through the loop - I put the leader join through so I have about 2m of leader hanging below the balloon
    4. tighten knot to seal balloon

When the fish hits, the balloonn floats away. Use biodegradable balloons.

hi black magic have a balloon set up available for $5 which can be used over and over again available from anaconda and probably bcf too

Mate easiest way ever...

Use a small polystyrene float and make a groove in it.....Tie a length of about 15cm of 100lb line off the float.
    When you put your knot in the balloon insert the length of 100lb line which is running off ya float and bingo....your done.

To stop the balloon sliding off the short length of line you can rough it up with a bit of sandpaper so its not smooth.

Pete

Thanks one and all for your suggestions. The loop of line is such a beautifully simple solution, I'm not surprised I didn't think of it. All I need now is wind under 15 knots for the next week :-)