Thread: Harry Atkinson Reef

Harry Atkinson Reef

Just a snappy post to get your opinions on a particular fishing spot...

I have fished in Moreton Bay many times over the last year and really try and fish where the reports say the action is... like around the islands (ie. Mud, Green, St Helena etc etc). However I have never really had much success (nothing worth bragging about). But every time I go to Harry Atkinson Reef there are minimum 5 boats and most of the time people are catching something. The very first time we went we caught about 8 nice sized snapper.

But my confusion is I never hear about Harry's in any fishing reports????

Can someone explain why this is... its obviously a popular spot but are the Islands so much better?

Thanks
    Jamesy

Re: Harry Atkinson Reef

I think you may have been lucky at Harries. It does not fish as well as it did a few decades ago and gets hit hard. A lot of people have spent a lot of hours for very little. If you have a technique that makes it fire then stick to it and good luck
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    I think you may have been lucky at Harries. It does not fish as well as it did a few decades ago and gets hit hard. A lot of people have spent a lot of hours for very little. If you have a technique that makes it fire then stick to it and good luck

Ditto that Horse

I have caught very little there and find the run out not worth the effort unless it is a stop of from chasing tuna etc.

Cheers
    John
    4.1m Rainwater tank & 50hp4st donk- go the plastic

Yeah I do agree it gets smashed. I guess the first few times I got lucky but ever since it has been very quiet. Thanks anyway fellas, will keep searching the bay while we can (until the green zones get introduced) for those fish.

Hang on a minute.

The EPa seems to have forgotten Harries

Maybe someone should remind them
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Rest assured they won't forget it.

Fez

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    Hang on a minute.

The EPa seems to have forgotten Harries

Maybe someone should remind them
    It looks like they have left all the artis alone (curtin, tangalooma, harries, nelson etc etc) I take they have done this because if they tried to include them, fisherman would have a good reason to want the government to build more, since they are such great fish attracting devices and make great fish habitat.

Cheers Chris

Thats becoz that are man made.

Quote Originally Posted by timddo View Post
    Thats becoz that are man made.
    That hasn't stopped the NSW Gov. from green zoning. If the EPA and the greenies ib Queensland want it they will get it. I expect that any reef even ones built from private monies will be considered. That has happened in NSW.

Cheers
    John
    4.1m Rainwater tank & 50hp4st donk- go the plastic

Harries was my training ground for the Bay many years ago, but if I fished it I don't think I would report a good catch because I know that most saturday mornings you could not fit any more boats over the top of it, there simply is not enough room. Maybe many others think the same and prefer not to draw too much attention to it.

Since the mother dolphin and her calf seemed to have taken up permanent residency, I think it does not fish as well. Are they still around?

Scalem

Yes I see those dolphins around most of the time I go there. The kids love them but I don't... although I don't let the kids know that :-)

In the past I have hooked up some large fish there... once I hooked up a bull shark but my terminal knot failed and I lost it. Have learnt how to do stronger ones since. Have also had some large fish take my big baits (whole mullet, yakkas etc) but have not been able to set the hook. Can't wait to land one see what is taking it all the time.

Really shame about the weather (in some regards), I was going out there this weekend with a mate overnight in my brand new 6m stacer... really disappointed but I guess you have to take the good with the bad.

Sorry for the stupid question, but where is harries?

Dan.

Near the entrance of the Rous channel Cant miss it there are usually plenty of people on it. GPS s27,24.417 e153,18.636 . Its worth looking around a bit there are bits of rubble around the place.

Cheers Chris
    Last edited by bayfisher; 24-08-2007 at 09:07 AM.