Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Brisbane Boat Show

Re: Brisbane Boat Show

right on charlie!!

not only does it cost to set up a stand at the tinnie tackle 3 boats wer stolen, people just drove in with a 4wd hooked it up and drove off with it!
    keeping that in mind for next year, a new boat may just come in handy

I went yesterday..arrived at about 3pm and left at about 7.45pm..there is plenty there if you are looking at boats..if after tackle..forget it.
    Great range of boats there in both Al and glass.

I am afraid I have to pull the pin on the Sunday. Apparently, it's fathers day and YES, I am supposed to do what I want to do, but......being a father is also about doing what the kids want, so be it.

There is a chance I'll head in on Saturday. But the weather looks awefully fishey this weekend.

Phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

I am going to go in sunday to check out sounders . have never seen any arches on the sounder that i have now . you never know the misses might just want a bigger boat again this year ............
    cheers fae haggis........................................

Hi everyone!

I always read your comments about boat shows and value the feedback you provide.

I do agree with the comments that there isn’t enough tackle at the boat show and please believe me when I say it’s not from lack of trying. I would dearly love to see 10 or 15 tackle exhibitors at the Show providing quality product to the Show visitors but alas no one is putting their hand up.

We are working on some ideas to entice the tackle trade to come to the Shows.

I would like to hear your ideas as to how to fix this issue. How to get some quality tackle outlets to the Show? If your idea works, we’ll give you a Show Pass that will give you repeat entry to all our 2008 Shows – Tinnie & Tackle in April, Brisbane Int. Boat Show in August and Gold Coast Boat Show in October.

Also, B_E_N, mate, if 3 boats had been stolen at the Tinnie & Tackle Show, I would have been the first to know. Someone is yanking your chain. Otherwise, let me know the name of the retailer and I’ll call them to see why they have kept it a secret.

An esky goes missing at the Show and I hear about it for weeks!!!

Please do enjoy the Show and I will read the threads on this issue with great interest.

Cheers,
    Farrokh Golchin
    Marine Queensland (BIAQ)
    Events & Marketing Manager.

Quote Originally Posted by bait-waster View Post
    I do agree with the comments that there isn’t enough tackle at the boat show and please believe me when I say it’s not from lack of trying. I would dearly love to see 10 or 15 tackle exhibitors at the Show providing quality product to the Show visitors but alas no one is putting their hand up.

1. I am sure that I am asking the bleeding obvious here, Farrokh, but I suppose that you have asked the tackle dealers why they won't attend.

2. It seems to me that a boat show/ tackle & tinnie show etc needs to be an entertainment event otherwise why would anyone go when they can see the products any day of the week elsewhere. Entertainment at a boating and fishing show is not about strolling minstrels or dixieland bands but it is about:-

(a) a constantly renewed seminar program - how about some fresh topics to augment the usual topics such as a session on crabbing, a practical demo on making sinkers, trailer maintenance and refurbishment, whale watching in Moreton Bay for the little (and big) kids, someone from Mustad or Gamatsu to give a talk on how fish hooks are made and how they build in the balance between toughness and brittleness etc, etc etc. As it stands, I can predict what will be on the 2008 seminar program right now, I reckon.

(b) the publicised presence of experts from manufacturers for workshops/question and answer sessions. Let's get the designers and engineers who design the Stabicraft over from NZ, or the USA designers of the eTecs or Mercs or Yamahas or whatever. If all we get to speak to at the boat shows are the local dealers and their salespeople, where is the entertainment and novelty in that? The local dealers can leverage off the experts if we have them.

(c) So leveraging the concept in (b), now what about having a separate seminar program on tackle which would be totally self-funded by getting the design engineers from Shimano, or Penn, or Okuma etc to talk about the design process or manufacturing process or testing process in building their products. I would find it hard to believe that Dunphy Sports would not bend over backwards to get some Japanese expert from Shimano to give presentations followed by joint Q&A sessions with Dunphy sports or local dealers on their products for a couple of one hour sessions each day. So now we are talking about a dedicated component of the boating shows being devoted to tackle which gives the tackle industry some reason to actually be there. Would not Big W be interested in having such a session sponsoring ET as a guest speaker and a Big W fishing tackle stand there with one or two show specials? Maybe, you can arrange for one of the well known local rod builders to shift their production in part to the show for the whole time so that people can see the rods being made, perhaps with a commentary from time to time. I reiterate my point that you need to give the tackle dealers some reason for being there and having a tackle sub-program of events, demos, experts will put a focus on tackle that is not there at the moment except for the usual floggers of soft plastics doing their used car salesmen impersonations on stage. (No offence to any used car salespeople reading this but we all understand what the vernacular means. )

Hell! If you want to be really creative, you could run yabby pumping races. That would be entertaining.

I reiterate my point about boating and fishing shows, car shows, truck shows, housing shows etc being about entertainment that fits the theme of the show and providing access to information and knowledge not easily available elsewhere. Ya gotta approach the event with a rock concert mindset and not just treat it like a boring old trade display.

Anyway, enough idle ramblings from me. I am just a slow talkin' country boy from western Queensland. What would I know about such things?
    Last edited by charleville; 31-08-2007 at 12:37 AM.

Farrokh,

I have no problem at all with there not being tackle merchants at what is called a boat show. Tinnie and tackle show is different..different name and therefore different scope. I have no idea what a stand costs but I would guess that it is not cheap therefore a lot of product would need to be sold as well as the extra wages required to man the stand on top.

A lot of people expect a lot of cheap prices at these shows...that used to be the case when the organisers did not charge admission fees which reduces visitor numbers and also the cost of the stands for exhibitors which I have mentioned above. I go to these shows to have a look around at what is now available and generally waste a bit of time. The fishing expos could do with a bit of a revamp...nothing against the presenters as they all do a good job but some new topics, as Bruce stated, would be good.

I have a question for you...why in this city is there not more investigation into what other activities are on at the same time. eg..football codes..you may see both the Lions and Broncos playing in Brisbane on the same weekend and the next weekend there is none. You people have the boat show on and on the Saturday night is Riverfire..surely that would reduce your numbers considerably on the Saturday. I know if I was running it I would prefer to have as little competition as possible to get people through the doors.

I think the main thing is that if an exhibitor has previously exhibited and not made the sales to at least cover his expenses then good business practice says not to exhibit again. To entice more exhibitors of a desired product then perhaps something may need to be looked at regarding pricing struture for them to exhibit.

oh..did I mention a bikini girl competition??????
    (I know, sexist me...but I can live with that)

yea and also get that girl in the fishing monthly platypus ad to show us how to tie a bimini twist(the one in the white bikini)

i was talking to one of the qx guys that set the place up and was told 3 boats wer just driven off with mate, just heard it on the grape vine, and i believed the guy coz i know him pretty well and he doesnt dribble sh*t
    Last edited by B_E_N; 31-08-2007 at 08:32 AM.

Farrokh,

I think there are 2 issues here.

1. Is that setting and pulling down and transporting all the merchandise for tackle and chandlery stands is a nightmare. I have done it.

2. The venue is a shocker.

My personal opinion was that it was a mistake to move the show from the RNA grounds and it should go back there.
    Sure the RNA grounds aren’t the classy venue the Convention Centre is but the problem with the Boatshow is the venue.
    The reason the Tinnie and Tackle show started was because of the failure of the Convention Centre as a venue to support the smaller exhibitors. Unless you are in the market for a large boat the Boatshow is a waste of time.
    Access to the RNA grounds is easier and I suspect cheaper for the exhibitors.
    Brisbane can support 2 shows a year. You would have 2 Boatshows per year where all the small exhibitors can be accommodated at the RNA grounds.

Scott

Pinhead.

I think you are on the right track but haven’t gone far enough.
    Why not double bill it with Sexpo.
    I can see it know.

Him: Honey I’m just off to the boatshow for a couple of hours (that means most of the day)
    Her: Boatshow, Boatshow haven’t they got that other thing on as well!!!!??????
    Him: Yeh but I ‘m only interested in the boats dear…you know me…
    Her: Well, you just go off then, off you go I’ll be here with the kids, but if I see you on the TV with some hoo your HISTORY!!!!!!!

How about this.

One tackle and boat accessory shop hire one of the smaller halls at the RNA, forget the convention centre it dont even rate capitol letters.

The store owner then subleases stalls within the hall to different manufacturers. There is a one way entrance to the hall and all items within the hall are for sale with a checkout on the exit door. All of the stalls are manned by reps from the various companies, and they do the selling

It worked big time in SA with one tackle shop turning over around $60,000 in goods and services in four days. He had approx 20 manufacturers or agencies there including charter operators, he even had a boat detailing company. He had top speakers on everything, from tackle and techniques to cooking and cleaning. Plus others I can't remember at the moment.

Wage cost neglible reps manning own stall. Set up costs ditto manufacturers wear that to have their brand in front of the public.

The point is was possible to get all fisherpeople to attend including non boaties, but a lot of boats were sold to first time owners and most of it was due to the tackle side of things.

A person buys a new boat every 5-10 years or so, but buying fishing gear is an ongoing thing

I know years ago there were problems with pricing wars that were obviously awesome for the public but not so good for the marine/tackle shops that were in at the Brissy Boat Show at the time. Jones Tackle -v- ##### -v- Sundown Marine is one that springs to mind from years ago. There were very competitive pricing on rods and reels (especially Shimano & Penn) with a lot being sold at under cost. You've still got to make money, pay for staff and pay for your stand. You have to sell a lot of hooks and sinkers to make those kinds of bucks! Having worked with Springwood Marine at a couple of shows I know first hand how much gear we took along and how much we sold. It wasn't an easy gig.

When it comes to the Fishing Expo i believe that Bill Corten puts together a pretty awesome team and a programme that is relevant to the majority of people attending the show. I'm a bit biased here but after participating in the Sydney Boat Show Yamaha Fishing Expo at the beginning of this month I believe that Brisbane showgoers are getting a pretty damn good lineup of presenters and topics relevant to our area.

Of course new topics are always needed and looking at this years programme Stephen Tapp from New Zealand is going to be on hand talking about targetting big fish in Kayaks. As someone looking at getting into kayaking it's one I'm not going to miss.

Also look out for the Kids Fishing clinic as the two Jason's have an awesome programme lined up. I saw a sneak preview and they've put a lot of time and effort into something that the kids will absolutely love. The "Wiggles" of fishing perhaps? Of course there are always plenty of giveaways and prizes for attendees of the clinics