Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Full speed at night... crash

Re: Full speed at night... crash

Gelsec got it right.
    What happened to the "Due Care"
    And everyone knows that their is always discrepancis in GPS data (otherwise we would all be sitting on the same fishing spot)

Has anyone got photoes of this unfourtunate grounding ? I missed all the news .

Quote Originally Posted by STARBUG View Post
    Volunteer Marine Rescue skipper Greg Turner said poor visibility and winds might have contributed to the crash.

I think the fact that we were travelling outside of the markers played a part. One bloke bust 3 ribs on impact with 4 other blokes, a lady who was on the stairs broke her collar bone, bodies were flying everywhere, lots of people were saying they were very sore with some large bruises and sore bits. Me, smashed my head on the upstairs window, smashed my phone, got a massive lump on my leg off one of the seats, bruised ribs/hip/shoulder - got a bandage on my hand, ice for my head, glass of red and went off to the party!!!!!!!

how fast do you think the boat was going ? What did the captain say after the grounding ? did they tell you what was happening and what to do ?

cheers

fish guts

Quote Originally Posted by gelsec View Post
    what's the first thing you do in restricted (poor) visibility and adverse weather conditions?
    slow down to a speed appropriate to the prevailing circumstances and conditions.
    commercial pressures are another issue to be factored into the equation.

I have to agree with gelsec. SLOW DOWN due to the prevailing conditions at the time. Obviously the skipper didnt. Therefore. IMHO, say what you like, make up all the excuses, only one person to blame...........not conditions or moving sand banks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

MIke

They reckon that the Sandbank shifted haha

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Guts View Post
    how fast do you think the boat was going ? What did the captain say after the grounding ? did they tell you what was happening and what to do ?

cheers

fish guts
    I think the boat was going at about 25 knots (??) but I have heard that it was going more like 60kmh (don't know how they relate). Didn't hear anybody say what had happened etc - just that we had hit a sandbar . The blokes on the boat were pretty good with dealing with all of the injured (there was a lot of injured/shook-up people and only a couple of "boat people" on it). They were pretty much concerned with the injured and making sure that they were ok. Didn't hear anyone say what we were supposed to do - but most of us impacted on something and didn't feel like doing anything that anybody said anyway. Have had a few conversations with people in the industry and they were all commenting on their sore joints/bones/bruising/etc.
    ...........Then somebody said "those who want to go on, get off this boat and onto another" - so the majority of us (110+) got off that boat and went to the party!!

and NO - hasn't put me off boats one bit!!

my very reliable source informs me that the skipper was travelling in the correct areas...there were other circumstances involved..I cannot say anything more about that at the moment..more will be revealed later.

theres always more to the story! theres a lot of quick harsh words to be said about the people in charge! they have a huge responsibilty and i bet they wished it didnt happen either, can you only amagine how the skipper felt? good luck to him and the crew with the outcome cheers cr

unless it was a control failure there is no excuse for it at all. does anyone know what part of the broadwater it actually came aground ? saw the boat in question when it was first launched in port douglas, its a lovely boat..least it wont need an antifoul for a few months.

G'day

Starbug...... 60km/hr is roughly 32kts, Pretty quick, especially for a boat that size.........

Think outside the square, maybe the boat changed course momentarily to avoid collision with a smaller boat? Who knows, i'm sure it'll all come out in the end.

Dave

Driving at night takes a lot of care. There are all sorts of things that can go wrong. Its a risk to plane at night, then again, fishing its self, is risky business. Some people say, fishermen are mad, I say, if you,re skilled in the art, plus have common sense, its like a dangerous job, if you don't know what you are doing, you are going to get hurt or killed. Just take your time with everything that you do and just don't bite off more than you can chew.

Minno
    Last edited by minno; 22-08-2007 at 11:18 PM.

Very Very strange that this huge vessel that travels this route on a routine basis should all of a sudden come a gutsa on a bloody sand bar,,, in the broady the bars are all well documented on paper and the cat's route should have been mapped out before hand and then adhered to.... maybe the skipper was one of these pisshead's that we often hear about that man the helm's of these giant pleasure craft's!!!

Bretty

It isnt hard to get of course and get into trouble, especially travelling at those speeds but its equally just as easy to throttle back and take your time.
    Navigating the broadwater at night isnt hard to do, but when heading south towards surfers paradise, it is very easy to lose the channel marker lights amongst all the other lights from Surfers in the background. Its happen to me a few times.
    Couple that with a bit of speed and a slight lack in concentration and you can come unstuck very quickly, especially in the broadwater.
    All it takes is something like one unlit tinny that you come upon and have to take evasive action......
    I do have GPS in my little tinny, but at night in the broadwater, I pretty much rely on using my own eyes, purely just for the above mentioned.

As the vessel was apparantly heading North away from surfers, with not much lighting in the background to distract from channel markers could indicate there was possibly a control failure......no matter what happened though, to have this incident occur, and even if you have all the latest fandangle navigation equipment, IMO travelling that fast in the broadwater at night, in a vessel that size, is just irresponsible and down right crazy.

Will be interesting to find out the exact cause.
    .......Ash